Bran's weirwood visions.

RadSam

Agreed. The king's road to the Wall takes you straight through Winterfell. Also we know that he has been at Winterfell many times through ravens and the godswood because he tells Bran that he has been watching Bran and all his siblings their entire lives. Those lives were lived at WF

In AFFC Maester Aemon remembers the shores passing on the way south from Eastwatch. Its pretty much clear that when Aegon sent Aemon and Bloodraven to Wall they didn't go on Kingsroad which would take them thru Winterfell but by sea though Eastwatch

I too think that Bran is really likely to be the one who finds out, but more likely the marriage between Rhaegar and Lyanna before a weirwood. I don't think the kneeling Eddard scene reveals Jon's parentage.

:agree:

After starting my first re-read last week I've been looking at what events take place in front of weirwoods, because that would open up the doors for Bran to bring out any big Stark secrets. (I was hoping there was a weird wood when Ned + Cersei discussed the whole Lannister incest + Bran's fall mystery, but as far as I know there are no weirwoods in the Kings Landing godswood). I your theory! Hopefully R + L got married/united under a weirwood tree.

Hopefully R + L got married/united under a weirwood tree.

A lot of people have suggested that they got married on the Isle of Faces, which makes a lot of sense to me. The place has been built up quite a bit so it has to become important at some point in the next two books.

:agree:

After starting my first re-read last week I've been looking at what events take place in front of weirwoods, because that would open up the doors for Bran to bring out any big Stark secrets. (I was hoping there was a weird wood when Ned + Cersei discussed the whole Lannister incest + Bran's fall mystery, but as far as I know there are no weirwoods in the Kings Landing godswood). I your theory! Hopefully R + L got married/united under a weirwood tree.

There is a heart tree in King's landing's godswood ;)

There is a heart tree in King's landing's godswood ;)

There's a heart tree, but I don't think it was a weirwood. I don't have by books with me, but I thought Ned's chapter in the Godswood in AGOT talked about the lack or weirwoods there and how there was an oak (maple?) as the heart tree instead.

You're right, the KL godswood has an oak tree for a heart tree.

"...Eddard Stark had taken the girls to the castle godswood, an acre of elm and alder and black cottonwood overlooking the river. The heart tree there was a great oak, its ancient limbs overgrown with smokeberry vines...."

-from pg. 255 of the Bantam mass market paperback edition of AGoT

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived