Has Tyrion already encountered Drogon?

RadSam

In ADwD, there are a couple of times when he sees something large fly overhead with a sounds of leathery wings. (I don't have the book with me to look up the passages, but would be great if someone could supply them!) Could it have been Drogon? We know that he wasn't locked up with the other two.

It would just be kind of exciting, but kind of sad, to think that Tyrion had already encountered a dragon but didn't know it.

It was just one of those little things from the book that got me curious! I'd love to know what you think!

“This was the most beautiful city on the river, and the richest,” said Yandry. “Chroyane, the

festival city.” Too rich, thought Tyrion, too beautiful. It is never wise to tempt the dragons. The drowned city

was all around them. A half-seen shape flapped by overhead, pale leathery wings beating at the fog. The

dwarf craned his head around to get a better look, but the thing was gone as suddenly as it had

appeared.

This was on the shy maid, right before the palace of love and the stone men.

This was on the shy maid, right before the palace of love and the stone men.

Which is why I don't think he saw Drogon. Look at the map and follow the Ryone north until you reach this place. mereen, which is the area where Drogon is flying around is hundreds of leagues south east. Too far for even Drogon to be flying on his jaunts.

Ooh interesting.. I too wondered what the creature with "pale leathery wings" was, but forgot about it soon after.

However, isn't Drogon supposed to be black? Pretty certain he wouldn't be described as having pale wings.

Wow did not even realise that while reading, Other than a dragon what else could it have been...

Maybe a bat. I think that if Drogon was ranging as far as the Rhoyne, there would have been talk amongst the river traders and in Volantis and Pentos about the wild dragon.

Wow did not even realise that while reading, Other than a dragon what else could it have been...

An actual bat. They are in a miserable foggy place. Bats can have pale, leathery wings. Only Viserion has pale wings, and he was locked up by Dany.

Drogo's wings are not pale. ALSO, the Chroyane is leagues north of Volantis, and Mereen is so far south and east of the Chroyane that the map in the book puts it on a differnt page than Chroyane.

Also Drogo returns to his lair in the city every evening, so he can't wander around a lot during the day. And even his dragon lair on the Dothraki Sea is not so far away from Mereen that it implies he would range so far from the city as to reach the Chroyane

Maybe a bat. I think that if Drogon was ranging as far as the Rhoyne, there would have been talk amongst the river traders and in Volantis and Pentos about the wild dragon.

Mmmm yeah thats true, would have been some destruction and stuff. Also, I wonder if there will be other mythical animals making a return..

In TWOW forum I noticed that:

there are actually krakens near the Basilisk Isles IIRC

Which is why I don't think he saw Drogon. Look at the map and follow the Ryone north until you reach this place. mereen, which is the area where Drogon is flying around is hundreds of leagues south east. Too far for even Drogon to be flying on his jaunts.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/83540-as-the-dragon-flies/

I believe tyrion did see drogon, i started a thread the other day and wanted to get your thoughts on how far you think a dragon could possibly fly, and how quickly that could effect the story, I mean if drogon is way over there, wow!

If he heard leathery wings than it must be some big ass bat. I've had a bat fly right into me and never heard a sound. I see bats every night in the summer and never hear them.

I, also, don't think it can be Drogon due to the distance but I could be wrong.

I'll vote for the griffin because they're cool.

It's a Griffin. There has to be a reason why this was chosen as House Connington's sigil; they had to exist at some point.

Not necessarily, plenty of noble Houses in real life used Griffins as their sigil, doesn't mean they were once real. Westeros has it's myths as well.

Archived