Is Robert Baratheon an Overrated Warrior?

Blackfyre the Bold

@corvinus

Nobody in the Greyjoy Rebellion mentioned that Jaime was there not Jorah, Selmy, Ned, or Robert.

Jaime doesn't think about the Greyjoy Rebellion

...Myrcella was born the next year

Edit: oh yeah tourneys are alot like real battles just stripped of blood, rage, and motivation for fighting.

He's known as The demon of the Trident I don't think he could summon that same rage just fighting in a tourney

I believe Robert would have been the most successful sellsword (sellhammer? :D) of his time. That would have been a pretty happy life for him, too. The Strong Belwas of Westeros, perhaps.

Yeah there's no doubt it would have been a better life for him than the miserable mess his Kingship turned out to be, but that's part of the (mostly self-inflicted) tragedy of Robert.

I don't think you can call him overrated or compare him to people in eras he didn't live in. He probably didn't have a ton of opportunities to go to battle prior to the rebellion, but when it came time to fight it seems few if any were a match for him, and he managed to survive and be victorious. Would he have done the same against Targaryen and Targaryen supporters in previous eras? Who knows? Would he have done the same against Dayne or Hightower? Who knows? But I see no reason to question his reputation. I seem to recall both friends and enemies complimenting him in the area of war.

• 10 months later...

Robert Baratheon was not overrated. He was EXTREMELY strong and probably still is at least a little bit. Although not the size of the Mountain, he is near the height of the Hound and probably near or stronger than the Hound. He used a warhammer which is very heavy and hardly anyone uses. He smashed Rhaegar Targaryen who was one of the best fighters and probably had some of the best armor in the world. Plus Robert had been in war and was wounded when he fought. Sadly, he got killed by a boar but didn't give up without killing it.

Robert, in full plate armor, is unbeatable. Only Dayne and probably Selmy could beat him.

Robert in full plate probably beats everyone. Swords can't cut through it and Robert's one of the only if not only plate toting people listed as using a blunt armor smashing object. Which now that i think about it is quite weird. Although it explains why not many high born of rich families have died in actual battles.

I think in his prime he's up there, sort of 'the best of the rest', I mean there's the top 4 of..

• Selmy
  • Dayne
  • Aemon Targaryan
  • Daemon Blackfyre
  • Jaime

..I think Robert is the best outside of the legendary level fighters listed above.

Archived