Who are the masters of Scifi/Fantasy prose?

Kyle Loechner

I quite like Martin's prose, actually. He's rarely poetic, true, but when he is it works, and he can always evoke what he wants to - and he always has flow, structure, dialogue, etc, nailed down perfect.

I'm actually not a huge fan of Valente's prose, tbh. It's beautiful, sure, but kind of tiring. Not my thing. I secretly want to read something from her stripped of that, for once, just because I honestly find her more interesting as a storyteller than a proseist.

I really like Arthur C. Clarke's prose. :dunno:

So Joe, is this discussion in the 90%? Or does it remain to be scene? The lack of clarity in your prose leaves things rather ambiguous (or was that the point.....I'm pretty sure this discussion is crap)

I quite like Martin's prose, actually. He's rarely poetic, true, but when he is it works, and he can always evoke what he wants to - and he always has flow, structure, dialogue, etc, nailed down perfect.

I'm actually not a huge fan of Valente's prose, tbh. It's beautiful, sure, but kind of tiring. Not my thing. I secretly want to read something from her stripped of that, for once, just because I honestly find her more interesting as a storyteller than a proseist.

I really like Arthur C. Clarke's prose. :dunno:

I think this post raises some good points - what is the prose seeking to accomplish? Martin and Valente are two ends of a spectrum to me. I can read Martin for hours once he's caught me. Valente's denser works are incredibly enjoyable, but I agree with one reviewer who likened some of her to thick pudding. Delicious but better in small portions.

Is it better to have a steady, enjoyable flow Rothfuss and Joe A manage, or to try and capture a more Tolkienesque sensibility [like Bakker does]?

Which leads to the question, which SFF authors have the greatest range, able to vary their voice depending on the work[?] Alan Moore is one of the few I can think of off the top of my head. Holly Phillips is another possibility.

eta:

Michael Cisco.

Erin Morgenstern, Ekaterina Sedia, Jeff VanderMeer, J.M. McDermott, Adam McOmber, Cat Valente.

Gods yes. And put Vandermeer down as someone who can vary his voice.

It's always a bit subjective when determining who the best is at prose. A few that at I think are really good (there are others of course, but this is a good start):

Gene Wolfe

Patricia McKillip

Charles de Lint

Michael Moorcock

Michael Swanwick

Jeff VanderMeer

Margo Lanagan

John M. Ford

Jonathan Carroll

Felix Gilman

Another big issue is consistency. There are some authors who at times have wonderful prose, but they aren't consistent enough with it to be mentioned with the best (Steven Erikson comes to mind first). Elizabeth Bear also comes to mind, though with her new series it might just be best to go ahead and add her to the list above.

Which leads to the question, which SFF authors have the greatest range, able to vary their voice depending on the work[?] Alan Moore is one of the few I can think of off the top of my head. Holly Phillips is another possibility.

Ah now see Vance doesn't vary his voice AT ALL and yet it is so ridiculously eloquent that I just don't care.

Stanislaw Lem. He is extremely funny, playful and indulging in word plays, neologisms, elaborate metaphors, etc, in his satirical works (Star Diaries, Cyberiad, etc), yet in his more serious and hard sci/fi works his style is way more straightforward and disciplined. Then in his metafiction works he adapts another voice altogether, and all of those are spot on and perfectly fitted for his goals.

So Joe, is this discussion in the 90%? Or does it remain to be scene? The lack of clarity in your prose leaves things rather ambiguous (or was that the point.....I'm pretty sure this discussion is crap)

It remains to be scene (sic). But mostly people are just saying whose prose they like, which is hard to disagree with. It's when they start explaining what good prose is that I usually rub my temples and shake my head and say stuff like, "these goddamn kids need to get off my prose-lawn."

Archived