Who are the masters of Scifi/Fantasy prose?

Kyle Loechner

Ah now see Vance doesn't vary his voice AT ALL and yet it is so ridiculously eloquent that I just don't care.

Well neither does Mieville. Valente does to an extent, though I think her voice is pretty recognizable.

QFT regarding Vance. An awesome writer. The Lyonesse trilogy, in its one-volume omnibus edition, may be the definitive work of secondary world fantasy in one volume, alongside Lord of the Rings (a case could also be made for Dying Earth, except that Lyonesse is one continuing story, whilst Dying Earth is very episodic).

Stephen R Donaldson varies his prose quite a bit. Contrast his Gap cycle with his Convenant series.

Indeed. And contrast the prose in The Real Story with the four books that follow. Completely different.

Tolkien was remarkably inconsistent and could often come across as very twee but when he was on form he could stand with the best of them. Theoden's charge on the Pelennor fields is probably the greatest passage I've ever read. It's funny, because I usually prefer a more minimalist style like, say, FX Toole (who isn't SF to be fair).

QFT regarding Vance. An awesome writer. The Lyonesse trilogy, in its one-volume omnibus edition, may be the definitive work of secondary world fantasy in one volume, alongside Lord of the Rings (a case could also be made for Dying Earth, except that Lyonesse is one continuing story, whilst Dying Earth is very episodic).

I couldn't agree more with you, and all the preceding posts that mention Vance.

I think Mervyn Peake is also great.

An author that I hear quoted a lot when people talk about prose is Lord Dunsany, but personally, I can't stand that over-the-top dreamy stuff. It feels overdone to me. The same goes to Lovecraft, who tried to emulate Dunsany.

I think this Abercrombie guy has some really good prose. Reading the beginning of Red Country really was a pleasure for me.

Other than that Peake, Rothfuss, Martin, Wolfe and Erikson were the authors whose prose I remember liking very much.

Jesus, Kay's prose makes me nauseas these days, frankly. Bloated purple squigliness.

About what prose sets out to accomplish - yeah, I think trying to write has made appreciate the difficulty of readability over prettiness. They're not necessarily contradictory, but having pretty without readable is not much.

I think Roger Zelazny has some very good prose, particularly in Creatures of Light and Darkness.

Out of modern SF authors I think Ian McDonald does a good job of varying his prose to match the setting and character he is writing about.

I'll agree with the mentions of M. John Harrison and Kay.

Which leads to the question, which SFF authors have the greatest range, able to vary their voice depending on the work

This immediately makes me think of Cloud Atlas where David Mitchell did a great job of varying his prose between six different writing style and some of the stories did have great prose (even if some bits of the book like Half Lives used deliberately plain prose).

Tolkien was remarkably inconsistent and could often come across as very twee but when he was on form he could stand with the best of them. Theoden's charge on the Pelennor fields is probably the greatest passage I've ever read. It's funny, because I usually prefer a more minimalist style like, say, FX Toole (who isn't SF to be fair).

He was varied, and that intentionally.

To me, there's Le Guin, Wolfe, and Vance and then everyone else. I'm just talking prose here, not story. So while I love Tolkien and Martin to death, their prose is not as uniformly... amazing... as the former three.

It remains to be scene (sic). But mostly people are just saying whose prose they like, which is hard to disagree with. It's when they start explaining what good prose is that I usually rub my temples and shake my head and say stuff like, "these goddamn kids need to get off my prose-lawn."

Joe Abercrombie's prose is obviously the best of them all, especially when he personally signs copies of his books and sends them to loyal fans :drunk:

Right now, M.John Harrison.

M. John Harrisons has some very good prose.

Shame about his skills with characterisation. And plot. And everything else.

(caveat: based on the Viriconium novels and short stories alone)

Archived