Favorite characters in literature

First of My Name

Hobb - Althea, Malta, Vivacia, Paragon, Tintaglia, Kettricken and the Fool/Amber

Pratchett - Rincewind, Death, Nanny Ogg (I started with the Tiffany Aching books when I was younger, dont judge)

Tolkein - Turin (love/hate) Faramir, Denethor, Frodo, Smeagol

Sanderson - Dalinar

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Jane Eyre from the book of the same name

Joshua York and Abner Marsh - GRRM's Fevre Dream (you can see it inspired my username)

Jon Snow, Oberyn Martell, Bronn, Asha Greyjoy, and Sandor Clegane - ASOIAF

Lestat - Vampire Chronicles

Aragorn - LotR

Griet - Girl With a Pearl Earring

Lisbeth Salander - Millenium Trilogy

After reading James Ellroy's latest, Perfidia, Dudley Smith is my overall current favorite. Never thought this would be the case when he was just an antagonist in previous books, but Ellroy did such a great job when he finally wrote from the Dudster's POV.

Also, count me in as one of the Stannis fanboys, he is hands down my ASOIAF fave.

Allan Massie's version of Tiberius is another one I love, he actually reminded me a lot of Stannis in some ways.

Felthrup from Robert Redick's Chathrand series is still up there for me. I'm going to have to do a reread of that one soon.

Bakker's Cnaiur can't be left out either, that insane fucker will always have a special place in my book-loving heart.

After reading James Ellroy's latest, Perfidia, Dudley Smith is my overall current favorite. Never thought this would be the case when he was just an antagonist in previous books, but Ellroy did such a great job when he finally wrote from the Dudster's POV.

To my shame I've never read any of Ellroy's books. Where should a shame-faced noob like me start with him? At the beginning, or later in his run?

To my shame I've never read any of Ellroy's books. Where should a shame-faced noob like me start with him? At the beginning, or later in his run?

Definitely start with either The Black Dahlia, the first volume of his LA Quartet, or American Tabloid, the first in his Underworld USA Trilogy. Which one depends on what piques your fancy more: the seedy underbelly of 1940s LA with all types of crime and corruption from cops, criminals, celebrities and politicians(The Black Dahlia/LA Quartet); or 1960s US history, the Kennedy assassination, Cuba, CIA and the Mafia(American Tabloid/Underworld USA Trilogy). I've always liked The Underworld USA Trilogy more, mainly due to the fact that the Kennedy assassination always fascinated me and I'm a big fan of conspiracy theories.

Definitely start with either The Black Dahlia, the first volume of his LA Quartet, or American Tabloid, the first in his Underworld USA Trilogy. Which one depends on what piques your fancy more: the seedy underbelly of 1940s LA with all types of crime and corruption from cops, criminals, celebrities and politicians(The Black Dahlia/LA Quartet); or 1960s US history, the Kennedy assassination, Cuba, CIA and the Mafia(American Tabloid/Underworld USA Trilogy). I've always liked The Underworld USA Trilogy more, mainly due to the fact that the Kennedy assassination always fascinated me and I'm a big fan of conspiracy theories.

Thanks, I think I'll go for the Underworld USA Trilogy too. I read Alex von Tunzelmann's fascinating historical study Red Heat last year so Ellroy's take on those matters should be right up my alley.

• 4 weeks later...

From fantasy:

1) Moiraine Damodred - The Wheel of Time

2) Kvothe - The Kingkiller Chronicles

3) Vaelin Al Sorna - Raven's Shadow

4) Tyrion Lannister - A Song of Ice and Fire

5) Jon Snow - A Song of Ice and Fire

6) Vin - Mistborn

7) Sand Dan Glokta - The First Law

8) Kelsier - Mistborn

9) Egwene Al'Vere - The Wheel of Time

10) Logen Ninefingers - The First Law

11) Gandalf - The Lord of the Rings

12) Daeneris Targaryan - A Song of Ice and Fire

13) Rand al'Thor - The Wheel of Time

14) Oberyn Martell - A Song of Ice and Fire

15) Denna - The Kingkiller Chronicles

16) Aragorn - The Lord of The Rings

17) Matrim Cauthon - The Wheel of Time

18) Bayaz - The First Law

19) Varys - A Song of Ice and Fire

20) Siuan Sanche - The Wheel of Time

Antagonists:

1) Ruin - Mistborn

2) Ishamael - The Wheel of Time

3) Demandred - The Wheel of Time

4) Lord Ruler - Mistborn

5) Joffrey - A Song of Ice and Fire

6) Chandrian - The Kingkiller Chronicles

7) Lanfear - The Wheel of Time

8) Sauron - The Lord of The Rings

9) Shai'tan - The Wheel of Time

10) The Ally - Raven's Shadow

• 3 weeks later...

Geralt of Rivia, Black Dow, Logen Ninefingers, Leo Bonhart, Yennefer, Lance Rayder, Barristan, Curnden Craw, Whirrun, Jack Aubrey, Maturin, Cato, Macro, Jack Victoria Kirtash and Alsan (these last four are from a spanish book)

I will stop here because I already wrote a lot but I could continúe for a while

Some of the characters mentioned in this thread make me SICK. King Lear? Really? That autocratic loon? Hamlet is even worse...drives an innocent girl to suicide. Saleem Sinai is a smug patriarchal narcissist, and Humbert Humbert is a disgusting pervert who downplays his pedophilia with gormless humour. Victor Franenstein? Really?! The sicko who stitched up dead bodies and then likened his creation to an abortion?

But the absolute worst has to be d'Artagnan from The Three Musketeers. THAT FILTHY, ROTTEN SOCIOPATH RAPED A WOMAN, VILIFIED HER FOR THE ENTIRE NOVEL, THEN CUT HER HEAD OFF.

The popularity of the patriarchal male never ceases to confuse me.

Thank the Gods someone mentioned Natassya Fillippovna Barashkov. Maybe if I chant her name enough times I can forget the disgusting aura of male conceit that has infected this thread.

Natassya Natassya Natassya Natassya Natassya Natassya Natassya Natassya...

Some of the characters mentioned in this thread make me SICK. King Lear? Really? That autocratic loon? Hamlet is even worse...drives an innocent girl to suicide. Saleem Sinai is a smug patriarchal narcissist, and Humbert Humbert is a disgusting pervert who downplays his pedophilia with gormless humour. Victor Franenstein? Really?! The sicko who stitched up dead bodies and then likened his creation to an abortion?

But the absolute worst has to be d'Artagnan from The Three Musketeers. THAT FILTHY, ROTTEN SOCIOPATH RAPED A WOMAN, VILIFIED HER FOR THE ENTIRE NOVEL, THEN CUT HER HEAD OFF.

Thank the Gods someone mentioned Natassya Fillippovna Barashkov. Maybe if I chant her name enough times I can forget the disgusting aura of male conceit that has infected this thread.

You sound mad, m8. Natassya is a spoiled, useless aristocrat, but hey we all have our foibles.

Except for Conan the Cimmerian. No flaws there. Or Logen Ninefingers. Perfect fellas, best heroes, much good, very wow.

Those people being our favourite characters doesn't mean that they are our heroes. They are greatly written characters. They amaze us and make us think.

That doesn't mean that they are rolemodels or heroes to us.

Those people being our favourite characters doesn't mean that they are our heroes. They are greatly written characters. They amaze us and make us think.

That doesn't mean that they are rolemodels or heroes to us.

A good point this. I wonder what A Highborn Maid thinks of Electra in the play by Sophocles or the opera by Richard Strauss (based on the play). As for King Lear, I suppose that AHM is just annoyed that he has most of the good lines in the play :P

Archived