The Winds of Winter untouched topics

Mathis Baratheon

They will support their lord and lady, Sweetrobin and Sansa. Lysa was the one who kept them out of the war. She is dead. Sansa will control things from now, and she will support Dany on the condition that Dany does not harm any of her family. Don't forget, she knows Tyrion as trustworthy at least to her. It would be better than Aegon marching on Jon, the new King in the North.

Sansa? Who made Sansa large and in charge? She's not the Protector of the Vale. She's not even next in line to succeed the sickly, childish Lord Robert, whose seizures grow worse and more frequent. And why would anyone risk his life and lands for him?

Read this dialogue between Petry and Sansa. Note the passages in boldface:

“So tell me, sweetling—
why is Harry the Heir
?”

Her eyes widened. “He is not Lady Waynwood’s heir.
He’s Robert’s heir.
If Robert were to die …

Petyr
arched an eyebrow
. “
When
Robert dies
Our poor brave Sweetrobin is such a sickly boy,
it is only a matter of time
When
Robert dies
Harry the Heir becomes Lord Harrold, Defender of the Vale and Lord of the Eyrie
Jon Arryn’s bannermen will never love me
nor our silly, shaking Robert
but they will love their Young Falcon
… and when they come together for his wedding, and you come out with your long auburn hair, clad in a maiden’s cloak of white and grey with a direwolf emblazoned on the back … why,
every knight in the Vale will pledge his sword to win you back your birthright
. So
those are your gifts from me, my sweet Sansa
Harry, the Eyrie, and Winterfell
. That’s worth another kiss now, don’t you think?”

Jon Arryn's bannermen will NOT support the "silly, shaking Robert." But WHEN (not if), the sickly Robert dies ("It is only a matter of time"), he will be succeeded by Robert's lawful heir, whom they WILL support.

Just tossing this out there: Bonifer Hasty was in love with Rhaella. He hung up his sword and became pious when she married Aerys. I wonder if Bonifer will be instrumental in aligning the Faith/Warrior's Sons with Danaerys or (f)Aegon. The Faith already have it in for Cersei and they're not likely to align with Stannis since he's thrown in with the Red God.

I like the idea of Stannis as the Night King. Its poetic, Melisandre works so hard to help him acend the throne, but he ends up being the one who brings about the long night she's trying to stop.

I love that!

She keeps getting frustrated when she looks into the flames and asks to see Azor Ahai and all she sees is Snow; she hasn't gotten it through her thick head that, even if it's not Jon, at the very least it's not Stannis either).

It's Theon shedding his skin of being Reek and turning back into Theon. You (Stannis) must not let him (Ramsay) take him (Reek).

Ramsay wants his Reek back.

It's a typo. Seriously, people. There are enough typos in the final, finished books -- do you really think an unedited sample chapter on the author's personal website isn't going to have one?

It's a typo. Seriously, people. There are enough typos in the final, finished books -- do you really think an unedited sample chapter on the author's personal website isn't going to have one?

I agree. Most of the (as yet) unpublished leaked chapters were full of typos. On a re-read of Storm I found three or four typos, and that book has been out since 2000.

Seriously, people. For the sake of argument, let's assume there's a typo in "you must not let him take him." Now how should it read so that it makes sense in the context of the conversation Stannis and Theon are having ?

Perhaps the second "him" should be changed to "me" so that Theon actually says to Stannis, "You must not let him (Ramsay) take me." But would Theon actually say "you must" to a king? Note how prickly Stannis became after Maester Tybald said, "Your Grace must understand--". This is the text of the conversation, amended accordingly:

“Unchain me, and I will serve you.”

“As you served Roose Bolton and Robb Stark?” Stannis snorted. “I think not. We have a warmer end in mind for you, turncloak. But not until we’re done with you.”

He means to kill me
. The thought was queerly comforting. Death did not frighten Theon Greyjoy. Death would mean an end to pain. “Be done with me, then,” he urged the king. “Take off my head off and stick it on a spear. I slew Lord Eddard’s sons, I ought to die. But do it quick. He is coming.”

“Who is coming? Bolton?”

“Lord Ramsay,” Theon hissed. “The son, not the father.” You must not let him take me. “Roose… Roose is safe within the walls of Winterfell with his fat new wife.
Ramsay
is coming.”

“Ramsay Snow, you mean. The Bastard.”

“Never call him that!”
Spittle sprayed from Theon’s lips. “Ramsay
Bolton
, not Ramsay Snow, never Snow, never, you have to remember his
name
, or he will hurt you.”

“He is welcome to try. Whatever name he goes by.”

Archived