Orphan Black - BBCA

~ZombieWife~

Zorral and others, you might like Todd & the Book of Pure Evil. Only 2 seasons, cancelled before its time on a cliffhanger, but oh so good. Especially the two rock-opera episodes. Very Buffy-like, but super raunchy & transgressive.

It actually won a few Gemini awards, including best ensemble cast I think. Come for the lesbian gift basket, stay for the werewolf sodomy.

The show is featured on the cover of Entertainment Weekly. That should help boost viewership. I haven't read the article, I just noticed it in the waiting room at work, so I'll have to snag the issue and read it at home.

Zorral and others, you might like Todd & the Book of Pure Evil. Only 2 seasons, cancelled before its time on a cliffhanger, but oh so good. Especially the two rock-opera episodes. Very Buffy-like, but super raunchy & transgressive.

It actually won a few Gemini awards, including best ensemble cast I think. Come for the lesbian gift basket, stay for the werewolf sodomy.

I'm in.

Also good to hear Orphan Black is getting more recognition. This and OITNewBlack were my favorite shows of 2013.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking forward to tomorrow night's season 2 premiere!

Did any of you try to watch the terrible Wil Wheaton-hosted orphan Black Cloneversation show last week? I only made it through about 20 minutes of it before I had to put it out of its misery. Poor Wil just does not have the charisma to pull off that kind of show, and it was such a blatant Talking Dead/Talking Bad ripoff that it made me feel uncomfortable for him.

Did any of you try to watch the terrible Wil Wheaton-hosted orphan Black Cloneversation show last week? I only made it through about 20 minutes of it before I had to put it out of its misery. Poor Wil just does not have the charisma to pull off that kind of show, and it was such a blatant Talking Dead/Talking Bad ripoff that it made me feel uncomfortable for him.

Yea, I saw it, and it wasn't very good, it isn't the only show like there out there, Teen Wolf/Wolf Watch, and couple other are also doing that kind of thing. Hell I think Hardwick kind of stole from his own show the Nerdist, which often was a love fest of Doctor Who.

(FYI I think Hardwick is very good either)

I caught the early part of a marathon OB on BBCA last night, might be running straight thru till the 2:1.

Ever

I've noticed quite a few "fan" shows out there. It took me a while to get into Talking Dead, and the main draw for me is not fan wanking but interviews with the writers and actors.

Completely side thought based on your avatar, Arborson: We should all put up the same Orphan Black avatar. :lol:

I'm excited. I hope to see this season more funny transhumanists like Olivier with the tail. Loved Helena dancing with it! I hope the relentless pace keeps up, with the Felix one-liners, the Felix-Alison interactions, that Alison kicks someone's ass or has another domestic torture scene, that Cosima doesn't die, that Kira doesn't have silly supernatural powers (super healing is enough thank you), that Vic goes away, that we learn more about Maggie Chen conspiracy, the cult and Dyad conflict, that whoever is Kira's father isn't a tool, that Rachel has a good arc, that we see many more clones, that Mrs. S is not too evil, and that Michelle Forbes' character is scary as hell.

And that Felix is a partial clone of Sarah (everything except the Y chromosome).

Fucking A.

BBC-3 in the UK is showing Orphan Black starting from 30 April. And we're getting a double-episode opening bill, so we'll only be 4 days behind the US from Episode 2 onwards. And we've now got BBC-3 in HD as well. Sweet :) Well, until BBC-3 shuts down at the end of 2015, which stuffs us if the show goes more than three seasons, but still.

That was awesome.

Post-premiere interview with the producers, don't read unless you've seen the premiere.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/04/19/orphan-black-season-2-premiere-creators/

Interesting about the musical, it's a real local musical from the Toronto Fringe Festival and that's its real cast.

That was awesome.

Post-premiere interview with the producers, don't read unless you've seen the premiere.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/04/19/orphan-black-season-2-premiere-creators/

Interesting about the musical, it's a real local musical from the Toronto Fringe Festival and that's its real cast.

Huh, very interesting. I was wondering what it was.

That was an intense season opener! I hope they can maintain that pace for the reason of the season.

I can't believe Helena is back! I'm not necessarily upset about it, because I liked Helena as a character, but her story was wrapped up pretty neatly last season and I'm not sure what else she can do now? Plus, the showrunners said last year that Helena was dead/there was no way she was coming back, so I honestly did not even consider that she would be back

Huh, very interesting. I was wondering what it was.

That was an intense season opener! I hope they can maintain that pace for the reason of the season.

I can't believe Helena is back! I'm not necessarily upset about it, because I liked Helena as a character, but her story was wrapped up pretty neatly last season and I'm not sure what else she can do now? Plus, the showrunners said last year that Helena was dead/there was no way she was coming back, so I honestly did not even consider that she would be back

I was really disappointed to see her return. I didn't particularly like the character, seems like she's just one of those monkey wrenches and now she's going to continue being needlessly crazy and mucking things up for everyone.

What an AWESOME opening. So many shows have a hard time picking up from a high-intensity finale, but no problem here. They're perfectly balancing between expanding the story and keeping it comprehensible. It's awesome how elements like Maggie Chen can still be referenced as relevant. Wonder if she had any connection to the Korean (?) businessmen?

I disagree about Helena. She was an absolutely awesome engine for Season 1 because she's so unhinged. I was cheering when we saw her boots and heard the screeching music. Even though I was certain after the season 1 finale that she was dead, the fact that they discussed her during the "Previously on ..." segment made me reconsider, especially because we know Kira has some sort of regenerative ability. I like that we have a clone who's completely clueless and unable to scheme, but brings the batshit everywhere she appears. Having her in the mix for Season 2 is great, even if it does lessen the believability of characters deaths onwards.

The only part I didn't get was the aborted abduction of Alison. What was the point of Sarah's plan there? It couldn't have been just to keep the black suits away from the DYAD event, because then Sarah might just as well just have lied about a meeting place and not showed up. The struggle with Alison only took 20 seconds and didn't give the suits any further trouble. What was that about?

("Since I cannot control my asthma, I'll stand by to entertain." WTF? :laugh: Oh yeah, on the subject of Alison's theater business, the coach told the group that the opening would be in 4 days (or weeks?), so you just know that there'll be a scene where Sarah has to take over for her and do her part.)

EDIT:

More on the musical - from an interview with the writers:

EW: Because I had never heard of it, I assumed you guys wrote some wacky songs, but you actually used existing stuff.
FAWCETT: No, that’s an existing musical and what’s interesting, too, is that in the episode, that is the cast of Blood Ties. Other than Sarah Stubbs and obviously Tatiana, that is the cast of Blood Ties – the pianist in the show and the blonde girl on stage, those are the creators of the musical, and the two men in the cast are from the show. So we were basically working with their cast and the musical’s creators. Isn’t that cool? And they helped choreograph all the dance moves and stuff like that. So we just worked with them and said, “Hey, let’s stage this.” And I hung out while she choreographed, and that’s how we created the musical numbers.

I've noticed quite a few "fan" shows out there. It took me a while to get into Talking Dead, and the main draw for me is not fan wanking but interviews with the writers and actors.

Completely side thought based on your avatar, Arborson: We should all put up the same Orphan Black avatar. :lol:

OR each do a different clone. ( if I was one to change my avatar)

I guess I am the only one that did not love this ep. It was almost all set up. Sarah kicking Rachel ass was really cool. After reading the EW piece, I feel better. Not sure I like Helena coming back, I guess it depends on what the do w/ her. Sounded like they have a plan worked out last year, which is good. If they winged it (tried to backdoor a reason later) it would really piss me off. It would likely been easier to create a new villain clone, then to bring her back.

While watching the marathon of season 1, I notice a few things (that I either missed, or over looked). The biggest two were that

1. Mrs S said that Sarah/ Helena were not the first "black" orphans that the guy had passed to her and that when a black came thru it was best not to ask any question. They could bring out as many clones they want are need(or other lines).

2. I thought Mrs S had run away w/ K, because of her involvement w/ the D. but after re-watching it, Mrs S told Sarah at any sign that K would get caught up in this, she would disappear again. While 2:1 made it clear that Sarah thinks someone grabbed them, I still think that Mrs S ran.

Archived