Books or Show first?

John Milner

I have been seeing a lot of advertisements for the series on HBO lately. I have not yet watched any of the show, but I did read the prologue & the first chapter of A Game of Thrones. I was curious to know if I should read all of the available books (quite an undertaking from looking at the sizes of the books! lol) or if I should watch the first two seasons of the show before I delve into reading the massive number of words & pages of the actual series that inspired the HBO series.

Pros? Cons? For reading the books first or for watching the show first.

Read the books first, they're much richer and a lot more complex than the show. Besides that, there are quite a few changes in the show, and in my opinion it's more fun to watch it when you've got the original story in mind.

Until you finished the books, better stay away from the forums. They're dark and full of spoilers. ;)

Until you finished the books, better stay away from the forums. They're dark and full of spoilers.

Given the length/size of the books, that could be a while (even for me & I read quite fast! [my professors all thought I was lying when I told them I could read a 900 page book in less than a day!] lol!) They do seem like good books from the little bit I have read though.....

Given the length/size of the books, that could be a while (even for me & I read quite fast (my professors all thought I was lying when I told them I could read a 900 page book in less than a day! lol!

Then I'd say you'll be done in a week, if you're that fast. :D

I have experienced both. I watched the first 2 seasons without knowing what will happen. That made it much better than it is for me now. I have read all the books and know everything!

So it will detract from the TV show (but I needed to know what happened haha)

So i would say watch season 3 then read the books.

Although you just have to ask yourself what do you prefer. TV or Books

Definitely read the books! Then watch the show.

I believe that is how you get the most out of this incredible story. None of my non-reading friends are more excited about the new episodes than I am, and I've read every book.

I watched season 1 before I started, though. Season 1 was awesome, but experiencing book 2 and 3 unspoiled was even better.

Definitely read the books! Then watch the show.

I believe that is how you get the most out of this incredible story. None of my non-reading friends are more excited about the new episodes than I am, and I've read every book.

I watched season 1 before I started, though. Season 1 was awesome, but experiencing book 2 and 3 unspoiled was even better.

Indeed, there's a view events (particularly in ASoS) that I can't imagine seeing in the show rather than reading about in the books. Looking forward to seeing how the show manage them though.

Well I was a bit of a late starter.. I didn't even know the story existed until about July last year.

I saw it advertised on Sky and deceided to record it on my telly box. I was ready to give up after about 3 episodes, couldn't get a handle on why the show was so popular.. But ploughed on through and by the end of season 1 (which is amazing) I had already sorted season 2 to watch. At the end of that (also equally amazing) me and the wife were a little sad.. We have to wait 8 months for season 3 :(

Wait.. What's that ? This show is based on a BOOK ? Wowzers.

I downloaded the entire series and started at the beggining. Where the wife lost interest claiming it too slow having already known what was happening. For me is was even better.. I already knew the characters and the books padded out the story and explained everything in finer detail & (for me) made me understand everything better.

Having all of books in 6 months (something i'm proud of not being a big reader) I can say I'm glad I watched the series first. It helped me visualise the characters when we first meet them of which there are MANY. Even when I got into books 3 4 & 5 I was googling images of people as I came across them.

I think if I had started with the books before the telly box show, I would not have continued and then would not be here now. Which would be sad for everyone

This is a question I've discussed with a few friends. It depends really. If you read the books first, you know what happens in the TV show. And the TV show has adapted the books to suit TV and you might find there are things you don't like.

If you watch the show and then read the books (which is what I'm doing) I find I still enjoy both- the books just give extra detail and richness to the story. Provided I don't read too far ahead! :P

1. It is your decision wholly. What is really the point of asking random people on the internet?

2. Books are way way way better.

For me, books are always the first thing. The show/movie whatever is based on it is secondary. So I usually try to read books first.

Given the length/size of the books, that could be a while (even for me & I read quite fast! [my professors all thought I was lying when I told them I could read a 900 page book in less than a day!] lol!) They do seem like good books from the little bit I have read though.....

So? What is the problem with that?

I tried to prolong my read of ADWD for the first time, and enjoyed it much. I do not think rushing through a book is a good thing, it takes most of the fun from it.

Welcome to the forum, first-time poster. :)

Everybody who has not read the books, I advise you to stay out of the main forums, as Juli said, they are dark and full of spoilers. :P

I have been seeing a lot of advertisements for the series on HBO lately. I have not yet watched any of the show, but I did read the prologue & the first chapter of A Game of Thrones. I was curious to know if I should read all of the available books (quite an undertaking from looking at the sizes of the books! lol) or if I should watch the first two seasons of the show before I delve into reading the massive number of words & pages of the actual series that inspired the HBO series.

Pros? Cons? For reading the books first or for watching the show first.

to have a proper understanding of the show, and all the subtle things, its better to read the books. also the surprises and twists are played out much better in the books than the TV show, I highly recommend the books before anything. watching the tv show first will ruin the shock value one receives when reading particular parts of the book. by reading the book first, u will receive all the information in the way GRRM intended it.

What is really the point of asking random people on the internet?

lol - what an absolutely ridiculous thing to say. Here, of all places.

These forums are absolutely filled with "asking random people on the internet". Look at the thread titles in this section alone. 8 of the 20 on the first page are questions.

You silly billy :)

So? What is the problem with that?

Are you feeling a little uptight ? Relax man.

I'd imagine the 'problem with that' is that booking are freaking massive and it's a pretty daunting task to anyone starting out at the start of the series.

I'd also imagine this person has a life, outside of reading books, so it might feel like it could take years to finish them.. It's pretty normal to question that kind of commitment i'd say.

John Milner - My answer is watch the first 2 series first. Then read ALL of the books (what I did).. Then watch the 3rd series, hell there might even be a 4th series by the time you finish them.

Enjoy them and don't rush them, as when you're done you'll only be pissed waiting for TWOW x

The only key tip is to avoid spoilers.

On balance I think watching the show first then reading is maybe a little better. The books are quite a bit richer, more detailed, so if you do it in this order both times you'll be enjoying lots of new stuff. Reading then watching when you watch you're kind of reduced to asking yourself how much you like what they did with a story you already know in more depth than shown onscreen.

Archived