New Ratings Record for the Premiere

Westeros

$50 million is a lot to recoup. As the actors get noticed, they will want more $. It is known, Har!

Seriously, though. they have to make a profit on this or they will cancel it. I think season 4 will be a go, but books 4 & 5 will be harder to adapt, especially if TWoW isn't subtantially finished, if not published by the time the season 5 and 6 need to be written.

They probably will, if the ratings rising to a new echelon every season is any indication. It also helps that they've almost certainly got the major actors pinned down for seven-year contracts (the show is unlikely to go beyond seven seasons for that reason, too).

Who's going to get turned off by the RW? That should be about as awesome as Blackwater, but for different reasons.

People might be disillusioned by not only Ned dying, but Robb and Cat dying as well. Some could see it as jumping the shark, if they aren't acquainted with the books. I'm probably wrong though. After all, Fire and Blood drew season high ratings, and it was the episode after Ned's death.

$50 million is a lot to recoup. As the actors get noticed, they will want more $. It is known, Har!

Seriously, though. they have to make a profit on this or they will cancel it.

They could probably make (or rather ARE probably making) a profit just from sales to foreign broadcasters. IIRC AGOT is the show with the strongest sales abroad in HBO history, by a very, very large margin.

The actors aren't paid remotely as much as actors from True Blood and The Sopranos were. I doubt they will get that high either. Right now TV is big business. It's a whole new ball game, and companies like Netflix with their slew of new high budget shows (House of Cards is excellent) are only increasing the stakes. Season 4 is guaranteed, and season 5 and 6 are pretty much certain as well. Its season 7 where timing and problems will start to arise.

As for the record, I can almost guarantee that the record will be broken several times this season. Episode 9 and 10 for sure.

Edit: D&D will need a better idea of where the characters go as season 5 and 6 commence so they can end up in the correct places.

They know a lot more than us about how the next couple of books will go, so I wouldn't worry about that.

The actors aren't paid remotely as much as actors from True Blood and The Sopranos were. I doubt they will get that high either. Right now TV is big business. It's a whole new ball game, and companies like Netflix with their slew of new high budget shows (House of Cards is excellent) are only increasing the stakes. Season 4 is guaranteed, and season 5 and 6 are pretty much certain as well. Its season 7 where timing and problems will start to arise.

When one gets your picture on magazines, a big splash page in the NY Times, and other media exposure, identifiable on the street... I am sure the agents of veteran actors are liking their chops. Lena has 5 new films four in preproduction and one completed. Peter has even more ... got Emilia in a high profile play on Broadway... looking at IMDB everybody has something going , TV and Film... and you can bet their contract compensations now command bigger a stack of golden dragons. For the younger actors, it's the break of a lifetime.

Well you catch my drift.

While I know it can't be directly tied to actual ratings (and despite saying this, I am sure someone will inform me of this in a reply at some point), Google Trends for "game of thrones" absolutely blew up yesterday. It doubled the previous high (S2Ep10) which is absolutely crazy. The amount of buzz this show is generating right now is absolutely tremendous. If the viewership weren't handcuffed by being on a premium channel I believe it would be absolutely destroying The Walking Dead in viewership numbers right now.

Really impressive numbers but I wanted to know the Worldwide figures. I mean, I'm from Brazil and here HBO is big and show the series at the same time that it does on US and have a very large audience (considering that the country have a population of almost 200 million). For this season they even made a teaser with the 3 eye crow flying around Brazil's main cities, was really cool to watch. Also here we didn't have the problem with the Walking Dead season finale, since it's not shown in the same day and time and it will happen only during this week.

Fantastic news! I know they've been passing around scripts for season 4, but a renewal wouldn't have been certain without these numbers. The budget for season 3 was $50 mil. Anyone have an idea of how much HBO has made on this series since it started?

Only 50 million? That's a decrease in budget from S2 which IIRC was 60 or 70 million. I know that they got extra money for the Blackwater, but I was under the impression that they were keeping the same budget once HBO saw how much it paid off. Explains a couple things in E1.

Only 50 million? That's a decrease in budget from S2 which IIRC was 60 or 70 million. I know that they got extra money for the Blackwater, but I was under the impression that they were keeping the same budget once HBO saw how much it paid off. Explains a couple things in E1.

Unless that poster can back their figure up with a source, I think we can assume it's wrong. The budget for season 2 was over 60 million, and D&D said the budget for season 3 was even bigger.

Regarding "50 million" I'd like to see a source cited for that. I've seen several hints that the budget is the same as last season ("spread around more because we aren't doing Blackwater" has definitely been said). But I haven't seen anything declarative at all and definitely nothing that suggests the budget shrunk.

Unless that poster can back their figure up with a source, I think we can assume it's wrong. The budget for season 2 was over 60 million, and D&D said the budget for season 3 was even bigger.

This is my source for the $50 million figure for all of season 3.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Game-Thrones-Season3-Preview-1062925.aspx

They also state in the article that their special effects budget has been spread over several episodes.

HBO won't confirm the reported cost of $50 million for all 10 episodes, but programming president Michael Lombardo says the price tag "is not totally out of line."

Unfortunately, they don't cite their source, but the "not totally out of line" doesn't give a lot of weight to the "rumored" $50 million either. Given how lavish everything looks so far, the number of extras involved in multiple difference scenes, etc, I'd say if it is anything remotely like $50 million they've learned to stretch their budget to an amazing degree.

In any case, I would not call this confirmation that it's $50 million, I would be willing to bet it is somewhat higher.

This is my source for the $50 million figure for all of season 3.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Game-Thrones-Season3-Preview-1062925.aspx

They also state in the article that their special effects budget has been spread over several episodes.

It could be.

But TV guide does not give a good source for that 50 mil. number.

It would be in conflict with the 6 mil per episode for season 1 and 2.

My understanding is that Deadwood ran about 6 mil. per episode and they only had , mostly, one location.

100 million for ROME, first season, (plus unknown for season 2).

It's kind of confusing but Boardwalk Empire is running at something like 5 mil. and episode.

HBO is a subsidiary of Time Warner, and I guess the final budgets are up to them , that's info I am sure is hard to get.

Really impressive numbers but I wanted to know the Worldwide figures. I mean, I'm from Brazil and here HBO is big and show the series at the same time that it does on US and have a very large audience (considering that the country have a population of almost 200 million). For this season they even made a teaser with the 3 eye crow flying around Brazil's main cities, was really cool to watch. Also here we didn't have the problem with the Walking Dead season finale, since it's not shown in the same day and time and it will happen only during this week.

I don't know , we never find these numbers out, I mean world wide DVD sales are unknown too.

I don't know why.

Box Office Mojo does not do TV, alas.

$60 million seems like small potatoes for making ~10 hours of high quality TV. It's no wonder they are ruthless with their casting and trimming down the number of regular characters with speaking parts. The actors bill alone would be monumental if they added minor characters like Strong Belwas, and if they'd kept Irri, and Jiqui (Dorea should have died in the Red Waste instead of the horse) and added Missandei this season and kept all of Dany's Blood riders as well as adding Daario this season. And that's just for the minor-minor roles orbiting Dany.

Season 1 budget was 60 million and season 2 was 66 million ( don't have a source handy but i 100% remember D&D mentioning it last year )

There is no way the budget will fall by 16 million when ratings are increasing. The actors will take up a lot of this but none of them except perhaps Peter Dinklage will be on a very high salary. In fact i can't imagine more then a handful if that on or near 7 figures for the season

The effects used for the Dragons and Direwolves will most likely be the next big cost and then your normal costs will take up the rest

Archived