[Book Spoilers] Qyburn

He's not demented (he has a sense of reality) he's an out and out sadist.

While I'm not defending him, I don't know if I'd call him a sadist, since he doesn't seem to take pleasure in what he's doing like a sadist (Ramsay for instance) would, he seems to be simply completely apathetic to his victims and sees them as nothing but tools to further his research which is what makes him much more creepy imo.

That he could have been put there as a spy or had arrived later to harvest from the corpses are both interesting thoughts. Despite his early appearance, it seems to me like he could still simply follow his original storyline though.

This jumped out to me as being not in line w/ASOS, but I was fine w/it. It'll be interesting to see how they write it though. Since he was w/the Bloody Mummers, you know he was a bad seed, now it'll have to be drawn out.

Can't remember if Qyburn was described in the books. I guess I had pictured him as being older. Kind of hunched over. Sunken in face. Dark eyes. etc.., etc...

I'm sure I remember him being described as looking like a kindly old grandfather. Which I think is kind of cool, like I imagine him looking very normal and unthreatening, then just calmly starting things like "she can no longer feed herself".

Can't remember if Qyburn was described in the books. I guess I had pictured him as being older. Kind of hunched over. Sunken in face. Dark eyes. etc.., etc...

e is tall, slightly stooped with crinkles around his blue eyes[(or warm, brown eyes ). He has grey hair, a lean frame, and looks fatherly.According to Cersei Lannister he looks like some little girl's favorite grandfather.

Such an understated entry for the guy. No doubt his first significant act will be to save Jaime's arm / life, which will garner mixed reactions, no doubt, from people who only know the TV show.

Also as a fallen Maester it will be interesting to see if they set up some sort of tension with Talissa. Sure, the whole Talissa thing leaves a bad taste in the mouth for many, but as she's there in a quasi-maester capacity they might as well make use of the fact that Queen Talissa and Qyburn have a common interest, but somewhat divergent philosophies.

I was so excited was not expecting him to be there, which is one of the reasons why I like the TV show so much. I think later on he will be revealed for what he is.... but toward seasons end. For now he is an innocent survivor of a slaughter. And I like the idea of creating some tension with him and Talissa.

Wouldn't it be interesting if Qyburn is an allied maester of the Lannisters, specifically loyal to Tywin? I was giving some thought to the idea of Qyburn being an informant for Tywin who will help facilitate future events involving Roose and another Riverland's Lord. Since maester's traditionally handle Raven correspondence, I wonder if Qyburn was intentionally bloodied and beaten and left as a ruse (hehe) at Harrenhall to begin eventual talks with a Northern Lord. What if the letter Tywin is writing is meant for Qyburn at Harrenhal so he can report on the movements of Robb Stark and Lord Bolton, and then the rest of the story picks up naturally from there with the arrival of Jamie, Brienne, & Locke (Vargo and Co.)? What do y'all think? I realize this is a divergence from the books but do you think it serves as a possible explanation for Qyburn being the lone survivor of a Lannister fueled massacre in ep. 1?

This is exactly what I am thinking, and if this is where they go with it, I'm in favor of it.

While I'm not defending him, I don't know if I'd call him a sadist, since he doesn't seem to take pleasure in what he's doing like a sadist (Ramsay for instance) would, he seems to be simply completely apathetic to his victims and sees them as nothing but tools to further his research which is what makes him much more creepy imo.

"Psychopath" or "Sociopath" probably better describe Qyburn. Amoral, not immoral.

i pictured him looking like pyat pree from season 2 minus the blue lips

Meh... It was a bit too sympathetic an introduction for my taste.

I think that's what makes it so great. Hopefully he can earn some sympathy (because of how he was found), some respect (for helping Jaime), and support (aww he never got to forge his whole chain-the Citadel sucks). Then his psycho bullshit can catch the viewers by surprise.

I am optimistic about this storyline.

Archived