Language Danny speaks in Astapor

When Danny is bargaining with the Unsullied seller, is the spoken tongue the real Valyrian? I watched the thronecast after the episode and it was confirmed it was Valyrian (High), but in the subtitles, it's mentioned that it's Dothraki. I'm more convinced it's Valyrian and I've forgotten how Dothraki actually sounds; I still know it's still that harsh, 'grumbling' sound.

So, let's say it is actually High Valyrian. How did you find it? I personally found it pleasant to hear and beautiful. It has that exotic sound. (I do say :laugh: )

I really loved hearing it as well. I liked the guttural notes that were included in this dialect too - the ghiscari version of High Valyrian.

I hope that we do hear more refined versions, I expected it to be quite a "sing-songy" language like Itlaian. Though it sounded more Portugese to my ears.

I liked the fact that they developed the Valyrian

language but I imagined it to sound different.

More graceful, liquid, fluent. I did not expect the hard G's. I reminded me a bit of Arabic.

The second time I heard it, it did sound better but at first I was shocked at how harsh the language sounded. But this also be me because this was Astapor Valyrian and not High Valyrian.

I liked the fact that they developed the Valyrian

language but I imagined it to sound different.

More graceful, liquid, fluent. I did not expect the hard G's. I reminded me a bit of Arabic.

The second time I heard it, it did sound better but at first I was shocked at how harsh the language sounded. But this also be me because this was Astapor Valyrian and not High Valyrian.

yeah I expect that was due to it being a Ghiscari dialect, which is frequently referred to as less pleasant sounding than the pure High Valyrian spoken by some.

I love how she never hints that she understands what he says or his insults.

Sadly they left that out. GRRM used that as a strategic ploy in the book, I don't know why they didn't identify the language.

Dany speaks both High and Low Valyrian , but I think in the show they are only going to identify High and Low Valyrian.

We will hear Dany speaking , probably High Valyrian, so wait for it.

Sadly they left that out. GRRM used that as a strategic ploy in the book, I don't know why they didn't identify the language.

Dany speaks both High and Low Valyrian , but I think in the show they are only going to identify High and Low Valyrian.

We will hear Dany speaking , probably High Valyrian, so wait for it.

I don't know that it's been left out. There's no reason she can't snap back at Kraznys after one more Westerosi whore comment next episode and see the startled look on his face.

I don't know that it's been left out. There's no reason she can't snap back at Kraznys after one more Westerosi whore comment next episode and see the startled look on his face.

Not exactly that way , but something similar and even more is coming up, I don't know what episode.

I just wish they had of kept that little plot for the non readers in the show, it was amusing for the book readers

Fantastic article ! Linguistics is such a fascinating matter; i particularly agree with the author when he ( or she) says that Kraznys' accent is rougher than Missandei's , not only it sounds like it but it makes perfcetly sense.

(By the way, the actor playing Kraznys is almost perfect, great casting)

I agree with valerio, Dan Hildebrand is doing a terrific job as Kraznys. The Missandei actress was also good. All in all, that was a fun scene to watch. The amount of trouble that the show went through, to create a believable language, should be given recognition.

I agree with valerio, Dan Hildebrand is doing a terrific job as Kraznys. The Missandei actress was also good. All in all, that was a fun scene to watch. The amount of trouble that the show went through, to create a believable language, should be given recognition.

I will second that Ramin Djawadi and David J. Peterson get respect around here , but they both deserve a prize!!

I totally love that they made Valyrian, and even more that they made Kraznys speak a bastard version of it. This analysis in the link is fantastic, specially to a language lover like me!

In my head High Valyrian sounds like a language with soft sounds, unlike the Ghiscari dialect, but not so singy like Italian.

I love how she never hints that she understands what he says or his insults.

what do you mean as "she never hints she understands"? She clearly reacts, although in a very subtle way just to let know the viewers that she actually understands, when Kraznys calls her Whore for the first time. She makes a face like "mofooo" hahaha

I don't know why, but each time I heard the Unsullied seller speak, I just heard Jaba the Hutt. All that was missing was the terrible laugh. It could have just been the actor's tone and delivery, but that was my lasting impression of that first meeting with Dany.

• 9 months later...

Archived