Shae and Ros scene

Ghosteline

I'm thinking Ros will have a big part to play in

Sansa's escape from KL.

Hence her added screentime.

Agree. Or maybe

Shae's eventual betrayal of Tyrion.

They have to find some way to deal with that since they made Shae such a whiny, emotional little pain in the ass rather than the far more subtle character she was in the books. They completely RUINED her character IMO.

I actually like Ros. Esme Bianco is IMO a good actress and Ros seems like a very clever and calculated character. I really wonder in which direction D&D are taking her! It anoys me that people talk shit about her, just because she is a non-book character made up by the showrunners.

Lol. What's there to ruin? Shae was a little bitch in the books.

Maybe, but she was a lot more soft and feminine, and more importantly

She didn't profess to love Tyrion like she did in the movie, she was a purely sexual animal. IMO it made her eventual betrayal of Tyrion far more believable, now it'll just be like... WTF?

I'm not sure what the woman who plays Ros has on D&D to get so much screen time. Her scenes really irritate me when there are so many better characters she is taking screen time away from.

Honestly, what's with all the constant complaining about Ros. The scene was about thirty seconds long. Get over it.

She is an excellent character that is giving viewers insight into how the common people get fucked over by the highborn constantly, as well as serving to give insight into the minds of many important characters. In this case: Tyrion, Pycelle, Littlefinger, Varys, Cersei and so on.

I guess Ros does have an important scene coming up. But as English is not my first language, it was a bit tricky for me to make up what were they talking about - especially with Shaes accent. So Ros was telling her to take care of Sansa?

I think the scene accomplished a few things of importance, which I can't really discuss without getting into book spoilers, so here goes, underneath the cut:

1. Sets up Ros' role this season (managing Littlefinger's affairs, while we know from 2x10 that she's also going to be spying for Varys). This will probably play into Sansa's arc in some way. (Ros could be the "Dontos"--helps Sansa in the escape attempt, coldly murdered by Littlefinger to cover his tracks--but it's too early to tell.)

2. Provides a reminder from Shae that Sansa is "important," even though everyone has forgotten about her and she's been eclipsed by Margaery. Her "importance" is mentioned in relation to Winterfell, which ties into the fact that Sansa is "important" because she may become the heir to Winterfell, a fact the Lannisters seem to have forgotten for the moment but that the Tyrells assuredly have not.

3. Provides information to Shae that Sansa needs protection, which ties into later developments, although it's difficult to say how given that this is a divergence from the books.

4. Reminds the audience that Littlefinger is bad news (as Ros, whose dialogue also suggests a certain respect/affection for Sansa, has been on the receiving end of LF's cruelty), and that his intentions towards Sansa are likely less than benevolent whatever his offer of escape/assistance might be.

5. Establishes/confirms Shae's seeming affection for/protectiveness of Sansa, which will likely lead to drama down the line when Sansa weds Tyrion.

There was also the obligatory on the nose commentary about women having to dig their way out of the sex worker mud, blah blah blah ain't no shame ladies do your thang just make you're ahead of the game, blah blah blah, but I don't consider that important for plot purposes.

Someone who's seen the first four episodes also had this TV spoiler (not a book spoiler) about Shae in eps 3x02-3x04, which might explain the "point" of Ros asking Shae to watch out for Sansa:

Shae asks Tyrion to help protect Sansa, then gets jealous when he talks about how beautiful she is. (Tyrion and Sansa apparently don't interact in the first four at all, so I'm not sure if Tyrion actually does anything to help Sansa.)

...It seems too early to tell (interviews from Peter Dinklage and Sibel Kekilli made it sound as if Tyrion and Shae would be even closer and more lovey-dovey this season than in Season 2), but it sounds as if the writers are going to use jealousy/revenge as a wedge--maybe even the wedge--to drive Shae and Tyrion apart and explain Shae's betrayal. If TV Shae genuinely loves Tyrion, jealousy and feelings of betrayal might explain why she'll turn on him. I really doubt TV Shae is going to be as nonchalant about the wedding as Book Shae.

It anoys me that people talk shit about her, just because she is a non-book character made up by the showrunners.

This is not my reason

giving viewers insight into how the common people get fucked over by the highborn constantly, as well as serving to give insight into the minds of many important characters. In this case: Tyrion, Pycelle, Littlefinger, Varys, Cersei and so on.

And Theon, and Shae and and and. There are only so many "sexposition" scenes I can handle, and I have not been happy with her acting skills (as often mentioned her speaking through gritted teeth is only one of my critiques). It also doesn't help that it seems they give her tons of screen time when there are simple, and very beautiful, moments and characters that we are missing out on.

Edit: Newstar posted while I was writing - some good point(s). This was the first exposition scene where Ros kept her clothes on.

And Theon, and Shae and and and. There are only so many "sexposition" scenes I can handle, and I have not been happy with her acting skills (as often mentioned her speaking through gritted teeth is only one of my critiques). It also doesn't help that it seems they give her tons of screen time when there are simple, and very beautiful, moments and characters that we are missing out on.

Why can't you handle it? If they need to do an exposition why not provide the sex backdrop? What's wrong with that?

Besides, I think Esme has done a terrific job.

She is an excellent character that is giving viewers insight into how the common people get fucked over by the highborn constantly, as well as serving to give insight into the minds of many important characters. In this case: Tyrion, Pycelle, Littlefinger, Varys, Cersei and so on.

:agree:

It was good to have been reminded that Ros actually is from Winterfell. She may help Sansa to escape out of genuine conviction - and she may die for it.

And I like the actress!

Archived