Books for an advanced reading soon to be 9-year-old

Whitestripe

I'm surprised no one has suggested Redwall yet, I started reading those at about 9 and they're probably one of the things that influenced my love of fantasy, lots of adventure and cool animals plus the most mouthwatering descriptions of food I've ever read.

Sorry, Mr. Dangerous, Orson Scott Card's books will not enter my house. (Unless of course my FIL brings them to read, as he is allowed to read whatever he wants, even those awful Left Behind books.)

I understand. He's a horrible, horrible man.

I read Ender's Game when I was 13 or 14 before I knew what a pig Card is, and 20 years later I do know and I won't pick up anything else by him but that doesn't change my experience of enjoying this story. YMMV.

Jane Yolen's Pit Dragon trilogy was among my favorite books as a kid.

Trashlings by Brendan Kellow was another good one, though I don't know how easy it'll be to find it.

And I am until this day a psychotic Animorphs fan. Animorphs is always good.

When I was 9 it was pretty much those. I picked up Terry Goodkind later, I loved The Hobbit (though you said he didn't get into it), and I was just starting the Redwall series (ended up giving my 14 book collection to somewhere after I realized what a cliche is, but I did love them for a few years).

Archived