[TV/Book Spoilers] TWOP Unsullied Thread Part 3

Independent George

Eta. Does Bolton know what was what? I wonder if they are planning a rebellion now that Winterfell has been burned to the ground. Maybe they are torturing Theon trying to find out what weaknesses the Starks have.

Again, right on the money in terms of the larger game, but lacking in the detail of why clan Bolton is doing what it's doing. And that Theon's torture has naught to do with the bigger picture.

Mycah=Maegor (According to maester Aemon pronunciation!) <3

and someone did a familly tree for the Targaryens

and another did a this;

From the map I got the idea it was something like this:

WWWW

NNNN

NNNN

NN

FF

RRRRRVVV

II RRRHHRVVVV

???RR??VVV

LL?????KL DS

LL???????

?????????BB?

?????????

With W = Wall, N = North, FF = Freys V = Vale, HH = Harenhall, II = Iron Islands, DS = Dragon Stone, KL = King's Landing

:love:

Some people on there think Dorne is a group of islands. Are those guys so unspoiled that they don't even look at the map?

Only at the one in the opening credits. Which as far as I can remember hasn't labeled Dorne.

I'm really curious to see their verdict on the Jaime/Brienne duel.

My fear going into the season, and confirmed last night, was that Jaime would be defeated too easily, making his bluster seem all talk. Whereas in the book, Jaime fought Brienne evenly until he exhausted himself (and Brienne remarked on how she couldn't imagine anyone defeating him at full strength). On the show, we've seen him fight exactly twice, and he was unremarkable both times. Hell, quite a few people think Ned had the upper hand against him. The importance of Jaime's mutilation gets a bit lost if they don't he was all that great to begin with.

I relieved that they enjoyed the Olenna/Sansa scene as much as they did. My bookwalker bias made me think they didn't spend enough time drawing out Sansa's resistance, but they seem to have interpreted it as intended. Maybe I'm not giving them enough credit on Jaime.

On the show, we've seen him fight exactly twice, and he was unremarkable both times. Hell, quite a few people think Ned had the upper hand against him. The importance of Jaime's mutilation gets a bit lost if they don't he was all that great to begin with.

On the show, it's obvious that Jaime is a total badass. He casually slaughters Jory, who is presented as an experienced campaigner, without breaking a sweat. The fact that Ned presses him so hard just shows how badass Ned is. Show-only watchers don't know that Ned is supposed to be a capable general but an average fighter.

It happened quickly but it was pretty obvious that Jaime wore down and became exhausted, just like the books. Frankly thinking back on the book version it seems really unrealistic that someone could be literally in chains for so long and not be that way, so I didn't mind it at all. Not to mention his hands being cuffed which they kept. So I thought that was fine.

I love when they talk about missing characters like Thorne, its usually pretty hilarious- which by the way can someone remind me when we actually see thorne again.

We missed his brief appearance at King's Landing. The next time we see him is in A Dance With Dragons at the wall, he's part of the contingent from Eastwatch (I think?) that comes in after Stannis saves the day. I hope they bring him (and Janos Slynt of course!) back for that role but even if they do it is likely it won't be until late S4 or more likely early S5.

I'm really curious to see their verdict on the Jaime/Brienne duel.

My fear going into the season, and confirmed last night, was that Jaime would be defeated too easily, making his bluster seem all talk. Whereas in the book, Jaime fought Brienne evenly until he exhausted himself (and Brienne remarked on how she couldn't imagine anyone defeating him at full strength). On the show, we've seen him fight exactly twice, and he was unremarkable both times. Hell, quite a few people think Ned had the upper hand against him. The importance of Jaime's mutilation gets a bit lost if they don't he was all that great to begin with.

I relieved that they enjoyed the Olenna/Sansa scene as much as they did. My bookwalker bias made me think they didn't spend enough time drawing out Sansa's resistance, but they seem to have interpreted it as intended. Maybe I'm not giving them enough credit on Jaime.

Re Jaime's fighting skill, I have to disagree with you on one aspect. You say that the impact of Jaime's mutilation is lessened if the show doesn't first establish how awesome a fighter he was before then. But from my perspective anyway, the mutilation is devastating because in Jaime's mind (as clearly established in the show) a fighter is ALL he is--its what defines him, its his only skill, he's no good at anything else, its Who He Is.. a fighter, period. Then, the mutilation takes that away from him, and what's left? To me anyway, the actual technical skill, or whether Ned nearly beat him or Brienne showed him up or whatever, is pretty irrelevant compared to the devastation done to Jaime's self-image and self-worth by the mutilation.

very sharp:

Finally the Brotherhood show up - I assume and hope this Thoros of Myr the same one Jaime and Jory mentioned in their wee chat in season one. First over the wall during the Greyjoy Rebellion and with a flaming sword

It's so interesting to read show-only viewer's impressions of the Catelyn scene:

Catelyn! - well, shut my mouth and call my Shirley. She actually gave a try at accepting Jon Snow. Jealousy has serious claws that are hard to disengage. It's good to know she tried though and where the poisonous feelings toward Jon really came from. I really love that no one is either black or white in this story.

And then Catelyn directly addressing the stuff with Jon also felt like something that was inserted to answer viewer questions vs. an organic scene. It all pared down to, "I knew I was a monster for wishing death on an innocent child, by the way, as far as I know that's Ned's son and I was jealous of his mother...and yes, everything is my fault in one way or another."

[...]

I enjoyed it too, I just felt like it was one of those "let's get this all out of the way, shall we?" dialogues, but I like that Catelyn actually spoke to Talisa rather than try to continue to treat her as a thing she doesn't particularly like. Robb really did make a hasty decision, and it clearly has longterm consequences, but it isn't Talisa's fault that the Stark history is so complicated.

I enjoyed Catelyn's talk. You have to empty your heart at some point going through things like that, if you want to retain some semblance of sanity.

I for one was moved by Catelyn's "confession". Of course it felt somewhat odd that she'd tell something like that to Talisa, but I still cried.

:lmao: I've always found Warg to be a strange word

It's a different unsullied take, but here's Leigh Butler channeling Swedish Chef:

Also, “wargs” is a completely hilarious word that makes me giggle. Wargs wargs wargs wargs wargs wargs wargs wargs wargs wargs wargs wargs

And a few chapters later:

The Summer POV was pretty neat, by the way, but I disapprove of Bran’s terminology in calling himself a “beastling,” because that is a very unsexy word and I veto it. It’s even worse than “warg.” At least “warg” has the inherent amusement factor going for it. Warg warg warg warg warg warg warg warg warg warg warg warg okay I’ll shut up.

Which eventually leads to:

Veddy interestink. So does this mean that if you’re a warg (warg warg warg) and your human body dies you can go hang out in your chosen animal’s body?

The Big Question from the episode seems to be -- What the f--k is going on with Theon??!! :)

(1) Theon is at the Iron Islands and his father is torturing him

+ Yara wants to get him out of there is quite possible

- those men look nothing like Balon's men (as you pointed out)

- what are they fucking doing there?

(2) Theon is in Winterfell, captured by Bolton's men

+ the men look like Northerners

+ Yara, by a stretch, might be able to contact him there

- he would recognize Winterfell, right?

(3) Theon is somewhere else, captured by Bolton's men

+ Northerners (possible)

- How does Yara knows about where he is and planted a spy there?

DIES FOR SURE

Robb Stark

Joffrey (please let Margery shoot him with that crossbow, please please!!!)

Dude who hates Sam (in Night's Watch)

DIES MAYBE

Theon (nobly maybe - trying to redeem himself?)

Cersei OR Lady Tyrell (I feel like one of them is destined to poison the s**t out of the other)

Dude in charge of the Brotherhood (nobly)

lol that's awesome. Nailed 1 or 2 right on, and the third (Joffrey) will die via poison thanks to Lady Tyrell, but that will probably happen in season 4.

lol that's awesome. Nailed 1 or 2 right on, and the third (Joffrey) will die via poison thanks to Lady Tyrell, but that will probably happen in season 4.

Makes me Wonder how much of a shock the RW will be though. I know I don't particularly like Robb in the Show, and I haven't seen much from non-book viewers but so far I gather he's not *that* popular. Catelyn isn't either, and that, coupled with some foreshadowing of what's going to happen....but we'll see how it plays out.

Archived