Aurane Waters..

Corvo Attano

Patchface prophecized that Stannis' army would 'ride seahorses' (a seahorse being the banner of Aurane's father), this could suggest an alliance of some sort between Aurane (who fought for Stannis at Blackwater- I think) and Stannis, other than this, it just seems like this fleet doesn't have much purpose at the moment.

Hmm... that's clever of you to connect patchface's rhyme with the house of Aurane Waters. I hadn't thought of that. Makes sense...

Pirating. With Cersei's ships.

Ohhh yeah. ;) I love it when my little crackpots are true!

You think we'll ever see him again?

Ohhhh yeah. ;)

Aurane Waters is a Blackfyre

Ohhhh....no. Hes a bastard of House Velaryon.

Anyway, my theory is that Aurane as Lord of the Waters, meets up with Sallador Saan and they start pillaging together and combining their ship forces. But both guys worked with Stannis to raise some naval hell. Will they go back to Stannis? I dont know. But Aurane stealing Cersei's ships (lol), is gonna matter especially when it comes to raising hell. Peeps are gonna think its Cersei's guys doing all this shit so they will be all decrying "THE QUEEN IS A PIRATE!" and stuff.

:shocked:

...what?

ok ok The House is sworn to Dragonstone-Stannis but they do have Blackfyre blood...---.

from the Wiki ( which I try not to use)

House Velaryon was one of the Valyrian families sworn to The Conqueror when the Targaryens began their Wars of Conquest. Since then, Targaryen kings have chosen Velaryon wives for three of their princes.[1] Among them, a lady of the house became the second wife of King Aegon III, and gave birth to Kings Daeron I and Baelor I. She was also an ancestor of the Blackfyre line through Daena the Defiant. Daena's sister, Elaena Targaryen had a love affair with Alyn Velaryon, her cousin.[5] Their son Ser Jon Waters began a line of bastards who still remain in King's Landing, in the person of Rennifer Longwaters, a gaoler in the Red Keep

ok ok The House is sworn to Dragonstone-Stannis but they do have Blackfyre blood...---.

House Velaryon was one of the Valyrian families sworn to The Conqueror when the Targaryens began their Wars of Conquest. Since then, Targaryen kings have chosen Velaryon wives for three of their princes.[1] Among them, a lady of the house became the second wife of King Aegon III, and gave birth to Kings Daeron I and Baelor I. She was also an ancestor of the Blackfyre line through Daena the Defiant. Daena's sister, Elaena Targaryen had a love affair with Alyn Velaryon, her cousin.[5] Their son Ser Jon Waters began a line of bastards who still remain in King's Landing, in the person of Rennifer Longwaters, a gaoler in the Red Keep

1. I was confused because you quoted me for apparently no reason.

2. I think that Aurane is actually from Driftmark itself hence "Bastard of Driftmark" rather than from this particular line of bastards.

Ohhh yeah. ;) I love it when my little crackpots are true!

Ohhhh yeah. ;)

Ohhhh....no. Hes a bastard of House Velaryon.

Anyway, my theory is that Aurane as Lord of the Waters, meets up with Sallador Saan and they start pillaging together and combining their ship forces. But both guys worked with Stannis to raise some naval hell. Will they go back to Stannis? I dont know. But Aurane stealing Cersei's ships (lol), is gonna matter especially when it comes to raising hell. Peeps are gonna think its Cersei's guys doing all this shit so they will be all decrying "THE QUEEN IS A PIRATE!" and stuff.

have to agree that most of this is most likely

but Cersi placing this guy on the Small Council after he was pardoned( after burning 2 Lannister ships on the Blackwater) because he reminds her of Rhaegar has played out well for her :cool4:

There are so many possibilities for him, aren't there?

1) It's possible with his Blackfyre ties he's been a Varys man all along. If so he's in a position to help Aegon on the Stepstones.

2) He could have made a deal with the Tyrells and there is some fishiness going on with Loras on Dragonstone.

3) The last possibility which is the most likely is he's in business for himself. But this means he has the potential to work as a sell-sail for Dany, Aegon, or even Stannis. He has family ties with Stannis and in TWOW Stannis sends Massey to find Sellswords.

Either way he's likely to be an ace in the hole for someone.

There are so many possibilities for him, aren't there?

1) It's possible with his Blackfyre ties he's been a Varys man all along. If so he's in a position to help Aegon on the Stepstones.

What Blackfyre ties are you speaking of?

What Blackfyre ties are you speaking of?

In truth it's a stretch. He's probably just a regular old sell sail known as the Bastard of Driftmark. But the possibility exists that there could be more to him. All we know is he' got the look. We don't really know a lot about his roots or Varys, Aegon, and Co. So who knows? Stealing a fleet a ships is a ballsy spur of the moment move. Don't you think there's a chance the scheme could have been concocted long before with the help of Varys?

I don't think it's the most likely possibility but it can't be ruled out.

Just read the Arianne chapter. It doesn't mention him by name but the description of the ships etc. it's pretty clear who they're talking about.

Whether he'll stay there or is just taking advantage of the situation is not clear though. Personally I'm going with the Patchface predicted return to Stannis. Who has a history of forgiving nautical criminals in return for a bit of decent service.

In truth it's a stretch. He's probably just a regular old sell sail known as the Bastard of Driftmark. But the possibility exists that there could be more to him. All we know is he' got the look. We don't really know a lot about his roots or Varys, Aegon, and Co. So who knows? Stealing a fleet a ships is a ballsy spur of the moment move. Don't you think there's a chance the scheme could have been concocted long before with the help of Varys?

I don't think it's the most likely possibility but it can't be ruled out.

I see what you're saying. Though, all of House Targaryen is descended from a female Velaryon. House Velaryon came with the Targs from Valyria, which is why they have 'the look'. Aurane doesn't exactly have 'the look'. Cersei thinks he looks like Rhaegar due to his long hair. The hair shade is different (silver-gold instead of silver) and the eyes are different. She later notes the entire face is different. I think it's a stretch to say that Aurane has ties specifically to the Blackfyres. There may be a bit of 'bastard allegiance', but I'm not really seeing it. I could see him having some sort of connection to Varys simply because Rennifer Longwaters, a distant relation to Aurane Waters, worked as a gaoler alongside Varys, though Rennifer knew him as Rugen.

I think Aurane's theft of the drommonds was ballsy, but also not unexpected. Aurane fought with Stannis on the Blackwater so his loyalty was suspect from the start. Jaime was also against Aurane being made Master of Ships/Lord Admiral due to his inexperience and unknown factor. Later, Aurane convinced Cersei to allow him to crew the ships with criminals, specifically thieves and poachers. Not to mention that nearly all of those she raised up had betrayed her in some way when she was arrested - Harys Swyft, the Kettleblacks, Lancel, Merryweather, even the Faith which she had just recently allowed to rearm. It's not really a surprise that Aurane was part of the crew who turned against her, nor does it seem spur of the moment.

• 2 months later...

I am reading the Boiled Leather Feast/Dragons merge and just hit upon something that I found interesting. Tycho mentions to Jon that strange ships have been seen in The Stepstones lately, though he suggests perhaps they come from the east. In the merged mega-novel Cersei's imprisonment chapter is nearly adjacent and it is reveals that Waters left to set himself up as a pirate in The Stepstones. Another possibility is that the ships belong to Aegon and his sellswords.

Do you think Tycho was indeed referring to Waters' fleet? The only thing giving me pause is that Sean Collins has those two chapters sequenced so Jon's meeting happened first, but I have asked him about it in the comments. Curious for any comments or dismissals.

Archived