Quentyn possibly alive?

Civfan

I hope so because he was so very very boring.

On the other hand, if he's dead his character was essentially pointless and just a waste of space.

I don't understand this logic. Was the Ned pointless and a waste of space? What about Robb?

• 2 weeks later...

He is dead. Some people think that you shouldn't beliave the death of a character if it comes from the narrative of their own perspective, as many of these characters tend to come back in some sort of way and even some of them might come back even when all logic contradicts it (Mance Rayder). But Ser Baristan and other people talked about how his body was completely melted by the flames of the dragons, even so that he thought he wouldn't be sending the bones of the prince to his father but his ashes. There might have been some miracle way of getting the Others power travell all the way North to Meereen but what's left of him isn't even skeleton, so..

• 7 months later...

I've been thinking about this hypothesis and now I'm buying it because Quentyn is the only good character in the series and he was meant to be boring. Good/Boring is the matchy matchy concept of the Naive/Dumb Association/Confusion. BUT, now with a dragon, Quentyn will have to do some pretty badassery. So we'll be able to see how this Associations/Confessions works out. We'll see Quentyn's true colors, I mean we'll find out if he was Naive OR Dumb and if he was Good or Boring.

I think the idea of Quentyn being alive is an interesting one because we'll see if Quentyn tamed the dragon or the dragon tamed him. ;)

I just saw a locked thread about it, but I had heard this theory earlier on /tv/ and wanted to discuss it. I hope this topic isn't entirely off the table for discussion?

Anyway, I'll just paste what I read here and see what you guys think-

I hope it's true because it'd be more interesting than him dying, and I actually liked the character. I realise it's nothing definitive and of course GRRM isn't shy about killing characters off, he also tends to let us think characters are dead when they aren't. Arya gets hit in the head with an axe, Davos's ship explodes, Jon gets stabbed... and it's hard to know for sure if someone's really dead, right? So, I personally think this theory has enough weight to merit my hopeful belief.

What do you guys think, based on this quoted text?

About "possibly", yes, lots of things are possible. Who knows, Ned may have warged Ilyn Payne and survived in spirit.

About the smile, Tywin's corpse smiled too, does it mean he is alive ?

About Drinkwater he may have other things to hide. People have theorized he may serve some secret goals, or have his own plans Quentyn wasn't aware of, since the "false coin" remark by Barristan.

It's possible he poisoned the locusts in hope to kill Hizdahr and give a chance to Quentyn to marry Daenerys.

It's possible he may be an agent of, say, the grey sheeps Maesters, here to get the dragons killed. And had a secret agreement with the Windblowns to make the operation a failure.

And if we speak about "possibly", he may be Rhaegar, AAR, , the true Darkstar, Benjen and a FM as well.

I'd say there are more chances that Quentyn is alive than chances that, say, Balon is (only earsay about his death after all), but wouldn't go further than that (even if I'd rather like the idea, really liked Quentyn character).

On the other hand I agree with that :

I actually posted a month ago about how Quentyn is one of the most underrated characters on this forum. All I'm saying is that if Quentyn had actually tamed the dragon, as he seemed to be doing, everyone would be saying how he had balls of steel and was the man. As it is, he is a "mud man", without a gift for anything in particular but a strong sense of duty to his house and his region. He's basically a Dornish Ned Stark... Ned wasn't handsome, wasn't a brilliant warrior, wasn't particularly popular with ladies, but he was loyal to his house and the North, and he was conscientious of his duty to the North. Quentyn gets a lot of stick he doesn't deserve and for that reason alone I want him to be alive.

Martin obviously wrote Quentin's ADWD's chapters as to leave himself a maximum amount of future options in writing...Quentin or The Tattered Prince, either one could have died... Probably Quentin though...

• 3 weeks later...

Martin obviously wrote Quentin's ADWD's chapters as to leave himself a maximum amount of future options in writing...Quentin or The Tattered Prince, either one could have died... Probably Quentin though...

Yup, the whole lack of 5 year skip messed with a lot of his original plans I reckon.

• 3 weeks later...

It seems that if Mirri Maz Duur is right, and she hasn't lied yet that I know of, Dany seems like she could again be in a motherly way so it looks like this Son of the Sun has indeed set in the East.

We don't know for sure Dany is capable of having children again but the textual signs point to yes at this point.

Archived