Book Review Confusion in Picking a New Novel Based on Goodreads Ratings

Garlan the Gallant

Stanek's never responded to any of my jabs at him. I've one-starred all his books and called out all his sock-puppetry but I've never heard a peep. I'd love to email-battle Stanek. I loathe him more than any writer I can think of. Have y'all ever gone to the Ruin Mist forum? It's amazing. He's got hundreds of identities all singing his praises, all mysteriously very similar in voice and style. I can imagine him, crazy at home, talking to himself, IMing himself, and rolling around in peanut butter, while his dogs and pets...........nevermind, he's fucking crazy.

I got in an email war with an author because I one-starred his book. He'd voted it as the top outside-the-box speculative fiction on a list I was voting on (didn't realize he'd voted for his own until later - my first week on goodreads). Anyway, I bought the book cause I was interested in something being ranked higher than Wolfe, Peake, Gillman,...and so on. The book was like a eighth grade writing project and I said so in my review. We went back and forth for a while, me calling him out for five-starring his four self-published books, and him being a pretentious douchebag back at me. I haven't gone back much since said list garnered eight other self-published authors ranking their own books as number one and I researched them and found trails of traded five star reviews corrupting them all.

Self-published "marketing" is just so sad. I did finally sign up for goodreads, but haven't added any books yet. When I finally do, I imagine there will be 2 stars galore!

Archived