Aegon is the Mummer's Dragon... but not the way you think

Azor Ahoy!

The dark flame is Moqorro. Book it.

I realise that's what they call him, I've "booked it" half a hundred times, but with the fickle nature of prophesy who can say until the die is cast?? If we are to take these groupings as characters who will arrive before Dany in pairs, then of course Moqorro is the obvious choice. Obviously Quaithe didn't announce them in chronological order, or the sun's son would have come directly after the pale mare, but are the groupings significant or arbitrary? If they were supposed to come in pairs, then surely we would have seen evidence of the mummer's dragon by now as the sun's son has come and burned.

And the lion could be Jaime and the kraken could actually be Theon and on and on. Right? At some point you have to come to a conclusion and stick with it. It's Moqorro.

I honestly think it doesn't matter either way, if he is real he has a legitimate claim but will probably die because I don't see GRRM giving the throne to someone who just conveniently turns up in the 5th book, so if he is real he has not got long to live IMO. If he is fake he will probably end up getting killed or being forced into exile anyways. I see Aegon as simple yet effective plot device to finally get Dany to Westeros.

If I am not mistaken Tyrion believes he is real. If he believes it then so do I.

that, definately that, ageon's introduction is very interesting and involves certain trusted characters, i think GRRM knew he was introducing Ageon late and decidied to be direct about who he is and used 2 of our most trusted characters to prove who he is.

1 I know Varys seems like he shouldnt be trusted but I dont think its Varys style to flat out lie about something hes more of a subtle subterfuge kinda guy

so exhibit 1 is his conversation with a dying kevan Lannister.

2.a. Tyrion being the one identifies him, if it was anyone else a mistake could be possible

2.b. Instead of being told a lie and believing it he starts the conversation by identifying Ageon, I could buy it if say somene told Tryion and thats how we

hear but no Tyrion puts it all together it would be weird if he was just wrong.

3. Both Varys' conversation and Tyrion's are both pivotal moments in this series and in ADWD , Varys flat out lie to a dying man would be cheap and so

would a brainfart from someone who is being set up as the smartest man in westeros. I actually think that GRRM was actually trying to eliminate any

doubts from his readers.

It doesn't actually matter if he's really Aegon or not. What matters is what the people of Westeros think. Unlike Danaerys, Aegon didn't dick around in Essos for 5 books. Once he secured the Golden Company it was off to Westeros. No being side tracked. No growing content with what he had. No building an unrelated kingdom that he'll eventually have to abandon. Nope, he kept his eyes on the prize and made haste to Griffins Roost. When Jon Con advised him, he listened, whether he fully agreed with it or not. When Jorah and Barristan Selmy advise Danaerys, often times she balks at what they say and do what she wants instead, without any prior military or leadership experience. All of this gives Aegon a distinct advantage, especially since he landed first. He has time to build support, especially with one of the most pivotal lands, Dorne. When Dany arrives, dragons or no, she'll be deep down in a hole that she dug herself.

Crackpot

ETA: What if, while Danaerys is just beginning to make her way to Westeros from Essos, Aegon and company take Dragonstone and find *gasp* dragon eggs? If he finds them and figures out a way to hatch them, that would make the whole "Dance of the Dragons" more literal. The downside, of course, is that Aegon's would be baby dragons while Dany's have grown substantially. Unless it takes awhile for them to cross paths, then this doesn't work as much when it comes to battle, but proves a lot when it comes to figuring out if Aegon is the real deal. The 7 Kingdoms will hae very little reason to doubt him if he had his own dragons.

Welcome to the forum.

^lol

I agree with Glenn, Aegon has put himself in the driving seat, especially since Quent was unsuccesful. I would expect Doran to now side with Aegon and Im not really sure where that leaves Dany... except from at the head of a monster Dothraki/Dragony/Unsullied army.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

"Mummer" = Varys, but equally, the bit about a cloth dragon for the hero to fight is too obviously stuck in there to be coincidence. What if, by "beware the Mummer's dragon", it means that Dany needs to beware of being sucked into battle with Aegon? In other words, Dany needs to join forces (probably through marriage) in order to prevail?

This.

She pretty much confirms that Aegon is at least a Dragon, either Blackfyre or Targ. The mummer is Varys, the dragon is Aegon.

Black or red a dragon is still a dragon. Heaps of text evidence suggests that Aegon is fake, but a dragon nonetheless.

I honestly think it doesn't matter either way, if he is real he has a legitimate claim but will probably die because I don't see GRRM giving the throne to someone who just conveniently turns up in the 5th book, so if he is real he has not got long to live IMO. If he is fake he will probably end up getting killed or being forced into exile anyways. I see Aegon as simple yet effective plot device to finally get Dany to Westeros.

:agree: I don't necessarily subscribe to him being fake, but I am not sold on him being real... But in any case I don't think it matters because he is not long for this world... That much im sure of.

Yes, a creative plot device. Something has to get Dany to Westeros! It makes sense for him to show up late given the title of the 5th is A Dance with Dragons, where we also hear the story of two Targs fighting for the throne. Also I have read a lot of posts about the three heads of the dragon, Aegon not being a favorite, but it would make sense. I def agree that mummer doesn't ness mean fake. He could be the dragon putting on a show, a mummer, since he is going about as Young Griff; or as prev posted it could be a ref to Varys or Tyrion. In that sense if you are a die hard r+l=j i uess you could interpret Jon into the mummer dragon role as well, although i would disagree. As fun as it is to foreshadow, the best part of this series is the complexity of the characters, and I cannot wait to see it all come together.

Heaps of text evidence suggests that Aegon is fake, but a dragon nonetheless.

What's the evidence that he's a dragon?

I think there are very good reasons to think he's an outright fake:

1. Having him turn out to be a Blackfyre would be considered a bit of an ass-pull; while the Blackfyre rebellion is referred to several times in the Dunk and Egg stories, they've had barely a mention in ASOIAF-proper, and Martin is not the sort of writer to rely on his readers having read a set of short stories that are outside of the main series of books.

2. Having the "Targaryen look" does not necessarily make one a Targaryen or a Blackfyre, especially outside of Westeros where Valyrian blood is more common. Several non-Targaryen characters (Ashara Dayne, Aurane Waters, even the prostitute Jorah Mormont sleeps with) are described as having some or all of those features.

3. More importantly, having him be a fake answers a big question that's been unanswered since Book 1: Why exactly is Illyrio helping Dany (and now, Aegon)? I mean, it's one thing to shelter a couple of fugitives, but to give them dragon eggs worth a fortune? To be totally fine with them selling three shiploads of your trade goods? To broker a marriage on their behalf with an extremely dangerous horselord? To hire the Golden Company? You'd need a very powerful reason to go to all that trouble and expense. And I'm convinced that Ilyrio's motivation is personal: "Aegon" is his son. We know he was very much in love with his second wife (he still keeps her hands!), and we know she bore a certain resemblance to Dany, which would make it conceivable that she might have a son with the Targaryen look. Tyrion also remarked on how strangely fond of the boy Illyrio seemed. If you take the view that all of Illyrio's actions have been leading towards putting his own son on the Iron Throne, it all starts to make sense.

I think mummer's dragon = Varys' dragon. Or that he's not Aegon but a Blackfyre. Still, a dragon is a dragon, be it red or black, so I don't think it really matters. If he's got some amount of Targ blood in him, and if people believe he's the king, then he is by all means the third head of the dragon.

• 10 months later...

Tyrion's actually pretty skeptical about him before he accepts that it could be him. He's also not infallible by any means. Like, taking anything he (or anyone else) says as a given just because he said it is a pretty big error.

The dark flame is Moqorro. Book it.

I read "mummer's dragon" to have multiple meanings. He's a mummer's dragon in that he's fake (fake as in, not Aegon; I think he's still a Blackfyre). He's a mummer's dragon in that he's Varys's dragon. And, yes, I suppose, he can also be a mummer's dragon in that Dany might foolishly expend energy in fighting him.

I agree, by fighting Aegon, I think Dany will end up becoming unpopular among the masses of Westeros. Whatever she does in the DotD 2.0, it will alienate potential allies so if she tries to take the throne, people will revolt against her. In this aspect, Dany's dreams of Queenship is a futile one in my opinion.

• 3 months later...

It doesn't actually matter if he's really Aegon or not. What matters is what the people of Westeros think. Unlike Danaerys, Aegon didn't dick around in Essos for 5 books. Once he secured the Golden Company it was off to Westeros. No being side tracked. No growing content with what he had. No building an unrelated kingdom that he'll eventually have to abandon. Nope, he kept his eyes on the prize and made haste to Griffins Roost. When Jon Con advised him, he listened, whether he fully agreed with it or not. When Jorah and Barristan Selmy advise Danaerys, often times she balks at what they say and do what she wants instead, without any prior military or leadership experience. All of this gives Aegon a distinct advantage, especially since he landed first. He has time to build support, especially with one of the most pivotal lands, Dorne. When Dany arrives, dragons or no, she'll be deep down in a hole that she dug herself.

Crackpot

ETA: What if, while Danaerys is just beginning to make her way to Westeros from Essos, Aegon and company take Dragonstone and find *gasp* dragon eggs? If he finds them and figures out a way to hatch them, that would make the whole "Dance of the Dragons" more literal. The downside, of course, is that Aegon's would be baby dragons while Dany's have grown substantially. Unless it takes awhile for them to cross paths, then this doesn't work as much when it comes to battle, but proves a lot when it comes to figuring out if Aegon is the real deal. The 7 Kingdoms will hae very little reason to doubt him if he had his own dragons.

:agree:

That Crackpot though- :bowdown: .

Archived