Breaking Bad/Final Season

Reposado

I think one of the benefits to the increased serialization of television is that shows are now more likely to go out on their own terms, instead of being milked to death as cash cows years after it stopped having interesting stories to tell.

Breaking Bad has always had exactly one end game: Walter White dead and/or imprisoned. It's a trajectory that was established in S1, and as much as I'm going to miss this show, I'm relieved to be able to follow it to the end.

Even though I don't want it to end, I'm also very, very glad that it is. I think they timed it perfectly. Five seasons, to me, is the sweet spot for most dramatic TV shows like this. A lot of shows seem to peak around four, and even with great ones like The Sopranos, you can see them straining for material in the sixth season. With Breaking Bad, season four felt like the perfect segue way into the ending. It was big, crazy, and meaningful -- it felt like Walt's transformation was truly complete. The first half of season five I think was more about wrapping up loose ends, and setting up stuff for the last eight episodes (and I don't mean that in a bad way at all). According to Vince Gilligan, the final episodes are supposed to be a balls-to-the-wall train ride straight into the end, with nothing held back. And that seems perfect. I genuinely think that It has the potential for one of the best series climaxes ever, precisely because you can tell they planned for it so meticulously.

Breaking Bad has always had exactly one end game: Walter White dead and/or imprisoned.

i just had a flash of the final scene being Walter stepping across from his cell to the rail of the catwalk overlooking the floor of a maximum security cell block and surveying the who's who of cons with his calculating Heisenburg stare. /credits

i just had a flash of the final scene being Walter stepping across from his cell to the rail of the catwalk overlooking the floor of a maximum security cell block and surveying the who's who of cons with his calculating Heisenburg stare. /credits

Or this: Walt lies shivering in a disguising crack house at the edge of town. He has overdosed during his first and only try of his very own blue meth. His glasses are broken and there's foam forming at his mouth. Later, we jump forward to the cops discovering his body. The final scene will be Walt Jr watching the video recording Walt made out in the desert in the first episode.

Yeah...so much for chilling on summer sundays and watching some breaking bad. August 11 is pretty late, and most likely will interfere with sunday night football later on...

Or this: Walt lies shivering in a disguising crack house at the edge of town. He has overdosed during his first and only try of his very own blue meth. His glasses are broken and there's foam forming at his mouth. Later, we jump forward to the cops discovering his body. The final scene will be Walt Jr watching the video recording Walt made out in the desert in the first episode.

I don't know about the whole meth part, but I could definitely see that recording show up again. Also I doubt Walt will end up in prison. He'd rather die than go there.

If he were to end up in prison I wonder how his interaction with dudes uncle will come into play. I could just as easily see Walt getting knifed his first day.

I'd be super happy with your ending though. I always imagined that if Walt ended up in prison he'd be running that bitch. How many genius level inmates are there in any given population? That aren't serial killers on 24 hour lockdown anyway.

I have this half-formed belief that Walter manages to avoid the feds, possibly by buying a new identity from Saul's guy, but he leaves his family in the lurch. It's a way of stripping him of the last remnants of the illusion that he got into this business because of those he cares about. Not making a prediction, but just a speculation.

I have this half-formed belief that Walter manages to avoid the feds, possibly by buying a new identity from Saul's guy, but he leaves his family in the lurch. It's a way of stripping him of the last remnants of the illusion that he got into this business because of those he cares about. Not making a prediction, but just a speculation.

That would work, too. Walt leaves his family in ruins, and then succumbs to his cancer all alone.

Whether it's the cancer, the Feds, or the Cartels, the only ending to this show is Walt's complete destruction. That's been the case since day 1. The only question left is the means, and the extent of the collateral damage.

There's one thing I want them to bring back before the season is over is the whole Gray Matter storyline so maybe we get some closure about where Walt's anger and resentment came from.

I really have no idea how this show is going to end, there's just so many possibilities. I think I'd like it if Jesse ended up shooting Walt or something.

I thought they hinted at there being a love triangle between Walt, Elliott and his wife, and that Walter sold his shares to get himself out of that ugly work situation when the proverbial $h!t hit the fan. And he's angry now because it wasn't his FAULT that the situation got weird, but he lost a lot of money by leaving. I guess they never actually came out and said it, but I always thought it was inferred.

Yeah that's what I gathered as well but it'd be nice for Walt to have some real closure on that part of his life I guess. I don't know, as much as I hate Walt now I still feel sorry for what his life had become pre-heisenberg.

Archived