How has the forum changed your opinion of the characters?

Chaircat Meow

In what ways has participating in the forum changed your view of the characters in Asoiaf? If you read the books first, did some views on the board surprise you a great deal when you read them?

I read the first four books years ago and didn't really look at the forum until I'd read DwD (knew about R + L = J though)

The biggest change for me is the way I view two of the characters.

I saw Stannis as a quasi-villainous chump when I read the books, before I realized he had loads of fans and could be an endearing character.

I was also impressed by how many people disliked or criticized Dany. Now, I didn't like her much either, especially after SoS. However, I always thought she was portrayed as a very inspiring, able person in the books. She was the champ to Stannis' chump (which, interestingly, seems to be the line the show goes for ...)

Also, for some reason, I thought the author didn't really want me to be critical of Dany, despite her arbitrariness and impulsive 'must save everyone when especially convenient for me and my ambitions' antics.

However, perhaps because my expectations were really low, I actually liked her in DwD. I still have the impression she's actually more of a straight up heroine than an anti-hero, or an antagonist, even though the board helped me problematize her character a lot more.

Does anyone have any other experiences?

Like you I was quite surprised that so many people on here loved Stannis. It hasn't really changed my opinion him though, I remain thoroughly indifferent to him.

Again surprised by all the Dany hate, I really like her character although her storyline has become frustrating.

I think my opinion on Sansa has changed after reading a lot about her on here. I disliked her for the first two books, then I just found her really boring. After reading opinions about her on here, and going on to re read the books, I viewed her in a completely different light!

Well, I haven't really changed my opinion on any characters, but maybe through arguing for certain characters virtues I have grown to like them more, or the opposite for characters I hadn't really liked at all.

Arya, Nymeria, Stannis, Mel and Meera are my favourite characters. That has been solidified by arguing on their behalf for so long heh

While I enjoy reading Tyrion and Jaime's PoV, I do not like them as people, and thus I hope they do not have happy endings. I will be more disappointed if they do than if I had never come to this board because it means so many people with whom I disagree about basic morality on this board will have been somewhat vindicated.

Since all of my friends hate Sansa, I was glad to find someone to share my opinion that Sansa isn`t shallow. powerless girl people usually percieve her. And I was also surprised by dislinke of Cat.

As for which character I percieve totally differently, that would be Dany. I almost liked her story, but after rereading and reading what others think of her (with every right), I have started seeing thing or two about her. And I didn`t like it.

Stannis, for the better.

Robert for the worse.

It completely made me loathe Tyrion, while I was neutral towards him at first.

And strangely, I now hold Balon in higher esteem than I did before I went on the forum.

I liked Renly, i was really surprised how many people dislike him.

I was indifferent to Dany, but after reading about her on here I really despise her.

My opinion of Tyrion is gradually going downhill.

My opinion of Theon massivley went up, after realising how tortured he is.

i haven't changed my opinion of anyone. still think dany is the epitomy of good and stannis is a weak minded fool.

Stannis: Catches Karstark betraying him in TWOW.

Dany: Writes 50 Shades of Daario.

I know few fools who catch traitors in their midst...

Tyrion was my favourite character but since I joined the forum Jon is slowly becoming my favourite, but I still like Tyrion.

I was neutral about Dany, I didn't hate her but she's not one of my favourite characters, so I was surprised about how many people hate her.

I've come to think more of minor and dead characters like Rhaegar and Ser Arthur.

I've started to like Sandor a bit more now since I saw the theory that he was the gravedigger.

And I've come to like The Others better through Puddles The Other.

I liked Renly, i was really surprised how many people dislike him.

I was indifferent to Dany, but after reading about her on here I really despise her.

My opinion of Tyrion is gradually going downhill.

My opinion of Theon massivley went up, after realising how tortured he is.

Similar to myself. I still like Renly

I honestly glossed over a lot of stuff both Dany and Tyrion were doing until coming here

I still don't like Theon. What has happened to him is excessive and borderline obscene, imo. But I am not more sympathetic to him. He just needs to be executed and be done with it.

My opinion of Stannis is unchanged despite the heavy fandom. I hated him all the way up until he saved the Wall and now I like him

Tyrion was my favourite character but since I joined the forum Jon is slowly becoming my favourite, but I still like Tyrion.

Yea, Tyrion was my favourite too (and still is one of my favourites). I was surprised at the very negative glosses people put on some of his actions (like the Sansa marriage) but I have to concede their point.

And I've come to like The Others better through Puddles The Other.

I am so glad to have influenced so many :). Although you could choose my `one true relligion` view, Sansa perspective or something else :)

I will be remembered for Puddles :(

I like Arya and Dany from the beginning and nothing can ever change that.

I will never convert to Stannis.

I don't like Sansa really, but reading her character analyses and developments in here changed that.

I still believe Jon will choose his Starkness over his Targaryeness (if R=L=J is true)

The forum made me dislike Tyrion.

I am so glad to have influenced so many :). Although you could choose my `one true relligion` view, Sansa perspective or something else :)

I will be remembered for Puddles :(

I think you'll always be remembered for your 'one true religion' views.

Archived