I hope Daenaerys' dragons die at the end

Fetch me a block

[mod] There's an open thread for discussion of Dany the character. This one is supposed to be about her dragons. If it's just going to duplicate the open thread, it'll be closed. [/mod]

I don't see them live for long in Westeros and I like it

Pretty sure, GRRM won't let dragons breeze over Westeros like that. Unlike Aegon I and his sisters, Dany plain sucks at dragon riding and doesn't show any kind of improvement.

:agree: not to mention that her dragons are chicks when Aegon's were huge and powerful

Probably not best to get in a heated political debate over my strong aversion towards nuclear warfare and the fact we have enough power to destroy our own world more than 50 times over. Woops.

While I'd love for everyone to drop their nukes, nuclear disarmament is now almost impossible because no one will drop their nukes when there is no guarantee that everyone else will do it too.

It's not that I don't like her

I'm just annoyed with her vacations at Slaver's Bay, she already had the unsillied, get the hell out of there, no, she prefered to go to Yunkai and Meereen to free slaves

I liked her until ASOS, but now I'm annoyed, if she started to move to Westeros in TWOW I'll start to like her again

the only people who deserve hate are: Gregor Clegane, Ramsay Snow (Bolton), Joffrey

This is about the dragons.

I've never understood the appeal of the dragons.. I'm sure GRRM is too smart a writer to make it the case but I worry they'll turn into a 'get out of jail free' card if that makes sense. The political maneuvering is so interesting to read about as people try and one-up each other. If Dany can come along, land in Westeros and say 'I don't care how ingenious your battle plan is, I have dragons' that's incredibly annoying. Would far rather she had to use her wits.

And the dragons may deter people from going to war but what happens if war is necessary? If - however likely or unlikely - Dany (or descendents) becomes a crazed, evil tyrant worse than the Mad King and Westeros wants to rise up against her. Only they can't, because the dragons will answer only to her and give her almost absolute power. I don't see that as a good thing.

Yes please to dragons dying.

If we consider the magic of GRRM's universe to be cyclical, i.e. it resurfaces and fades away, then the dragons are bound to go extinct again.

I personally believe that when all is said and done, magic itself will be extinct, so no more dragons and no more long winters and summers.

I don't want them to be an "automatic I win button," no. If Dany will prevail let it be by wits or courage or diplomacy or whatever, not magical unearned superweapons hand-delivered to her on a silver platter.

Unearned on a silver platter? I think she paid with the life of her husband and son for those dragons.

What do they seem like then ? I'm curious. :)

I'd compare them to standard airpower for the most part a bomber/fighter-bomber with firebombs or cluster bombs mainly. They can be used multiple times, very difficult to shoot down (I am assuming this is simply borderline impossible rather than straight up magically impossible for dragons), there are comparatively few negative repercussions to using them (no radiation making an area uninhabitable for ages), and are most vulnerable to itself.

Nuclear Weapons on the other hand are single use, cause a much greater level of damage (Harrenhal is still around, I don't believe modern nuclear weapons leave structures standing at their epicenter), irradiate the local area, and really don't have any vulnerabilities.

Furthermore when looking at how Aegon used his dragons in combat, I think it bears a much greater similarity to US and NATO airpower usage in the Operation Desert Storm (Field of Fire), Kosovo (Dorne).

If we consider the magic of GRRM's universe to be cyclical, i.e. it resurfaces and fades away, then the dragons are bound to go extinct again.

I personally believe that when all is said and done, magic itself will be extinct, so no more dragons and no more long winters and summers.

I also think there is very, very good chance that's how it ends, no wall, no magic, no more spells, no more long winters, no more dragons. I won't like that ending, but it seems possible if not probable.

I hope the dragons fly back to the smoking sea, back to their own habitat.

alot of people in the books want them dead too but it don't means they will be. I think its time for all the mythical creatures to come back it started with the dire wolves who weren't seen for 200 years, then dragons, then mammoths, hell even krakens are reported to be seen now. All thats left is for lions and giant ice spiders.

Archived