[Book Spoilers] Varys

That scene has made me interested again in why Varys was cut and what for, and what was the voice that came from the flames?

Yeah and Varys EMPHASIZES that voice!

It's from the book too.

So having the sorcerer only settles a minor score it does not solve Varys's problem.

Seemed one of the more Varys centric episodes of the series so far. We got two backstory monologues, one about his castration, the other about growing up a thief, and later met with the Queen of Thorns.

Also, controversially I will imagine, we got a reveal that Varys keeps the sorcerer who castrated him ritualistically in a small box in his room. That was... pretty unexpected. There's been a lot of theories over the years about "Is Varys possibly not even a eunuch? Maybe his whole backstory is bunk and something else is going on (IE, Blackfyres)?" so this would appear to make it pretty concrete... then again, all we saw was a shivered old man with his mouth gagged; it doesn't have to be who Varys said he was.

Nevertheless, I thought Conleth Hill (one of my favorite actors on the show) continued to do fine work.

What if Varys is an Unsullied and his story is a cover up. I wonder if someone else is his Master and he only obeys...

Varys' actor is so good it almost makes up for how badly LF is portrayed in the show. Both of Varys scenes were strong.

I am not sure what it is with Aidan Gillen , he was very good in the first season, now he seems to let the character drift.

Gillen is a good actor, one wonders if he has lost interest in the part?

I am not sure what it is with Aidan Gillen , he was very good in the first season, now he seems to let the character drift.

Gillen is a good actor, one wonders if he has lost interest in the part?

It's not so much the actor as it is the story itself. Littlefinger was much more prevalent in Book One than he was in Books Two and Three. Remember that Littlefinger was barely present for much of Book Three. I suspect that Littlefinger will have much more juicy scenes in seasons 4 and 5.

It's not so much the actor as it is the story itself. Littlefinger was much more prevalent in Book One than he was in Books Two and Three. Remember that Littlefinger was barely present for much of Book Three. I suspect that Littlefinger will have much more juicy scenes in seasons 4 and 5.

But his voice is so annoying. He speaks in this hushed, whispery sort of voice like "Everything I say is sneaky. I'm Littlefinger, remember? I'm sneaky. Look how clever I am." /shudders. I dunno, he's grating on me. BUt he DOES get awesome scenes at the Vale, so here's hoping.

• 3 months later...

When Varys is washing his hands and adorning his rings and says ''I resolved to live To spite him'' (great lie delivery too) Tyrion is actually watching the box with a worried exp<b></b>ression. Thought that was a pretty good detail.

I've just watched this episode again and wondered if Varys' ring has the flower of House Tyrell on it?

Not that Varys would openly display this.

• 2 months later...

also it was made clear, in the show at least, that his junk is gone. There was a scene were Ros grabbed for it and was suprised by what she felt

I thought Ros's surprise was because she felt that he was NOT cut. He's parading around as a Eunuch, so why should she be surprised when she grabs him if it's true? I would be more surprised (if I was her) and he was NOT cut. Perhaps this is how they start to their work together? She knows his secret, he wants to keep her in check, he has her spy on LF.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought Ros's surprise was because she felt that he was NOT cut. He's parading around as a Eunuch, so why should she be surprised when she grabs him if it's true? I would be more surprised (if I was her) and he was NOT cut. Perhaps this is how they start to their work together? She knows his secret, he wants to keep her in check, he has her spy on LF.

The reason Ros is surprised when she feels Varys is cut is because she realizes who he is then. Up to that point she had no clue.

Archived