Why does Mance Rayder attempt to rescue Arya (Jeyne Poole)?

Roadside Rose

Why are so many people trying to help Arya out? It's like everybody else seems to look out for her more than her own family?

- Syrio Forel (almost died for her)

- Jaqen H'ghar

- Mance Rayder??? (Why on earth would he try to rescue someone he thought was Arya?) Makes no sense to me.

Don't forget Yoren and the Hound - she does indeed get help from many places.

• Syrio seems to have been loyal to his employer and appalled at the Kingsguard paltry behaviour.
  • Jaqen owes her his life
  • Mance is sent by Mel, who isn't interested in Arya, but knows that the heir to the North is of great political importance for her king and rescuing Arya means that Jon owes them a favour
  • Yoren probably thinks how the Starks are loyal to the NW
  • The Hound... hm, difficult to read that one. I do think it makes sense, but it probably requires a longer analysis

All of them have some kind of motive to help her, but they do go well beyond the call of duty in some cases (especially Syrio and Yoren I feel).

Why are so many people trying to help Arya out? It's like everybody else seems to look out for her more than her own family?

- Syrio Forel (almost died for her)

- Jaqen H'ghar

- Mance Rayder??? (Why on earth would he try to rescue someone he thought was Arya?) Makes no sense to me.

Syrio, because that's what a dedicated teacher does. There have been real life examples.

Jaqen, because she had saved his life first. That's huge debt to owe, and the Faceless Men take life especially serious.

Mance, because at that point Melisandre owned him. And Mel sent Mance, because she needed Lord Snow on her side.

I wonder if Mance knows that "Arya" is fake. He told Jon Snow that he was at Winterfell during King Robert visit and "took a look" at Lord Eddard's children. This and his interest in crypts and in how Theon took Winterfell make me feel rescuing "Arya" is not his only/main intention

this never even occured to me tbh.

I wonder if Mance knows that "Arya" is fake. He told Jon Snow that he was at Winterfell during King Robert visit and "took a look" at Lord Eddard's children. This and his interest in crypts and in how Theon took Winterfell make me feel rescuing "Arya" is not his only/main intention

It never dawned on me that he would be one of the people who could identify her. I thought there had to be some bannermen who knew what she looked like still in the North. Great catch!

IIRC the Hound wanted to ransom her to Robb for gold or maybe a positon in is camp

I think Mance kind of likes Jon even though he is a crow

It was still odd of his part, he wanted the money he says, but it was a big risk having her with him. He sohuld have left the BwB make the ransom and then ask for the money, make the negotations with people who forsureweren`t going totry and kill himor something.

Yes. When I first read that I was thinking "well, they do need a good way to escape, and maybe Theon's ingress could work as an egress for them" but on further reading... he could just be looking for a way to get an army in. I'm thinking he has plans to take Winterfell, possibly with assistance. This, incidentally, is why I think he's the one who wrote that lovely note to Jon Snow: if Jon were to retaliate, it probably wouldn't be alone. Since a good percentage of the NW are skeptical of Jon's methods, he would probably bring potential allies (for Mance) along with him. I assume there would be an element of treachery involved.

I might be way over-thinking this, but that's what I'm guessing is going to happen. As to the why of it, I don't know--maybe Mance is just tired of the Free Folk getting the short end of the stick.

Don't forget Yoren and the Hound - she does indeed get help from many places.

• The Hound... hm, difficult to read that one. I do think it makes sense, but it probably requires a longer analysis

How did the hound help Arya? She was his captive who he dragged along on his journey to to ransom her. She stuck with him because she had no choice and he was her best bet to get to her family. I doubt there was any altruistic reasons here. She left him as soon as he fell and went on her way.

As far as Yoren goes, he seems to know Ned pretty well, and he's certainly aware that Arya is Ned's daughter and Benjen's niece. There's nothing in the Night Watch's vows that says you can't help out a brother, in fact they encourage that sort of thing.

And of course the Starks have a LONG history of being the greatest supporters of the NW. Bran the builder built the Wall and FOUNDED the order.

[...]This, incidentally, is why I think he's the one who wrote that lovely note to Jon Snow: if Jon were to retaliate, it probably wouldn't be alone. Since a good percentage of the NW are skeptical of Jon's methods, he would probably bring potential allies (for Mance) along with him. I assume there would be an element of treachery involved.

I might be way over-thinking this, but that's what I'm guessing is going to happen. As to the why of it, I don't know--maybe Mance is just tired of the Free Folk getting the short end of the stick.

as soon as i read this my mind started racing at the possibilities. i had never considered that.

but here's why i say no.

mance knows what's beyond the wall and that it's no time for humans to be fighting amongst themselves.

though, if he thinks the wall is impregnable and that they're all off the hook... i still doubt it. he likes jon.

still, who else may have written the letter if not ramsay? hmm

thank you for this.

Archived