#1 Saci Targaryen

Saci Targaryen

Council Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:03 PM

http://grrm.livejournal.com

It is hard to be a fan of the New York Jets.

They have hardly done anything right since Joe Willie Namath won SuperBowl III, and every time you think maybe they are finally turning the corner, they find some new way to screw things up.

Today the Jets traded Darrelle Revis, the best cornerback in the NFL and far and away the best player on the team. It is never a good idea to trade the best player on your team. The Jets desperately need a shut-down corner, since they do not have a real pass-rush threat, and the only way they ever get any pressure on the opponent's QB is by shutting down his receivers long enough for the rushers to get there. Revis was a huge part of the reason why Rex Ryan's defense has been so good (ups and downs, sure, but still one of the better defenses in the league). So they get rid of him Right.

Only the Jets. They have a pretty good defense and a godawful offense, so what's their big offseason move? "Hey, let's get rid of our best player, bring the D down to the same level as the O."

Now, maybe, MAYBE, you can make a case for trading Revis if you get a "Herschel Walker" deal. That is, a deal as rich as the one where the Dallas Cowboys traded RB Herschel Walker to the Vikings, and got so many players and draft choices that it won them three SuperBowls. And it is worth noting that Herschel Walker, while a damn good player, was neither the best player on the Cowboys nor the best running back in the NFL at that time.

But the Jets did not get a Herschel Walker deal. Revis is going to Tampa Bay. In return, the Jets get Tampa's first round draft choice this year (#13 overall, not even a top ten pick) and a conditional fourth round pick next year. Yeah, NEXT YEAR. Yeah, I said FOURTH round. Maybe it becomes a third. Whoop-de-doo.

The Jets, in short, got rooked. Congrats, Tampa Bay GM, you drank our milkshake.

And what about the new Jets GM? Fire his ass now. Bring back Mike Tannenbaum. Bring back the guy before Mike Tannenbaum. Hell, bring back Harry Wismer.

The best theory about this trade is that the Jets want the #1 pick overall in the 2014 draft. Cause this next season is going to be bloody painful. After which our new whizz-bang "let's give away our best player for a bag of old jockstraps" GM is going to fire Rex Ryan because, after all, that 2 - 14 record is clearly Rex's fault.

The year after that is likely to be even worse, even with that swell fourth-round-maybe-it-becomes-a-third we'll be getting from Tampa Bay. That is, assuming Kal-El Son of Jor-El isn't coming out in next year's draft. And even if he was, the Jets wouldn't take him. All that green would remind him too much of kryptonite.

Sigh.

Excuse me, while I go weep into my beer.

(It is not all bad. I will always have Paris. And Parris. And the Giants)

Edited by Saci Targaryen, 22 April 2013 - 05:04 PM.

#2 Independent George

Independent George

Council Member

• Members
  • 2,901 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:31 PM

Once again, being good at one thing does not automatically make you good at another. The Jets are obviously in rebuilding mode. Maybe they never get out of rebuilding mode, but keeping Revis is meaningless so long as Sanchez/Tebow is at QB. They won't be a real contender again for at least three more years, when he'll be 30, and the money they would have to spend to keep him might well slow them down even further.

The organization is a mess, and they probably won't be able to do anything with an extra pick in a weak draft class. But something is better than nothing, which is what they'd have if they kept him.

#3 SkynJay

SkynJay

Now, what did we learn?

• Members
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:52 PM

Not a Jets fan, but disagree with Mr Martin on this one. That pick could turn into a late first and a third, and the Jets need a whole lot of help. Being a weak QB class why get so upset about it not being top ten?

#4 Triskele

Triskele

Frisky Trisky

• Members
  • 28,660 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:06 PM

I got the impression that a big part of the frustration isn't simply that DR is leaving but that he feels that they didn't get enough in return.

Heh, I won't attempt to decode the psychology of a Jets fan, but there has to also be some frustration that this is the final signal that this Jets era that actually looked really promising a few years ago, is doner than done.

Edited by Iskander Harappa, 22 April 2013 - 06:06 PM.

#5 AnotherHedgeKnight

AnotherHedgeKnight

Next year is our year or maybe the year after that

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:14 PM

I don't follow NFL with great interest but due to family in New York the Jets are my team. I remember watching them about 4 or 5 years ago getting as far as the playoffs or quite far anyway now i don't know whats happening they had one of their worst seasons in history last year and from any news i've heard things aren't looking up

PS i never knew George was a jets man good on him!

#6 BLU-RAY

BLU-RAY

And did we tell you the name of the game, boy?

• Members
  • 9,387 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:29 PM

George is from NJ, he roots for the Jets and Giants. I remember meeting him in NYC a couple years ago, and since I figured he was inundated with books/show questions, I talked to him about the draft instead (used someone - I think Slurktan's - line about Prince Amukamara eventually becoming King Amukamara). He seemed to have a decent grasp of the game, but...

Once again, being good at one thing does not automatically make you good at another. The Jets are obviously in rebuilding mode. Maybe they never get out of rebuilding mode, but keeping Revis is meaningless so long as Sanchez/Tebow is at QB. They won't be a real contender again for at least three more years, when he'll be 30, and the money they would have to spend to keep him might well slow them down even further.

The organization is a mess, and they probably won't be able to do anything with an extra pick in a weak draft class. But something is better than nothing, which is what they'd have if they kept him.

I agree with this. Revis is useless to this team right now. If the goal is to win the Super Bowl, all he does is maybe bump them from a four-win team to a six-win team - essentially worsening their draft pick for the next year, leaving them with a mediocre compensatory pick when Revis bounces. The Jets couldn't keep him.

#7 JB5093

JB5093

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:20 PM

I agree with this. Revis is useless to this team right now. If the goal is to win the Super Bowl, all he does is maybe bump them from a four-win team to a six-win team - essentially worsening their draft pick for the next year, leaving them with a mediocre compensatory pick when Revis bounces. The Jets couldn't keep him.

The General Manager is fired after this year if he doesn't make the playoffs, so Revis is pretty useful to him. They won seven games last year and flashed at times. I think Revis can make them a playoff team. They would have beat the Giants last year with a healthy Revis. Instead I had to watch Cruz abuse Talib for four quarters.

#8 BLU-RAY

BLU-RAY

• Members
  • 9,387 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:06 PM

How could the GM be fired after this year if he doesn't make the playoffs? They just hired him! If they're gonna fire a GM after one year, they deserve to lose all their games. (Alternatively, if you didn't know they'd already fired Mike Tannenbaum, they fired Mike Tannenbaum already.)

Looking at their schedule this year: with Revis:

vs Tampa Bay - tossup
@ Tennessee - win
@ Falcons - loss
vs Pittsburgh - loss
@ Bengals - loss
vs New Orleans - loss
@ Baltimore - loss
vs Oakland - win
@ Panthers - tossup
vs Cleveland - tossup

And I'll give them 3-3 in the AFC East, which is generous - that works out to 6.5 wins and 9.5 losses. That team is just not a playoff team. They do nothing well except defend WRs. Even the O-line isn't that dominant anymore. Even if the Colts regress (and the Colts are going to regress), they just aren't a playoff team. And yeah, the AFC sucks, but even if by some act of FSM they made the playoffs, they couldn't get past any of the truly top-notch teams. I think treating this team like a contender would be exactly the sort of mistake that puts a team in a rut for half a decade.

#9 Lightning Lord

Lightning Lord

Ukrean Expat

• Members
  • 7,091 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:31 PM

How could the GM be fired after this year if he doesn't make the playoffs? They just hired him! If they're gonna fire a GM after one year, they deserve to lose all their games. (Alternatively, if you didn't know they'd already fired Mike Tannenbaum, they fired Mike Tannenbaum already.)

Think he might have been talking about Tampa's GM...

#10 Jaime L

Jaime L

The minor fall, the major lift

• Members
  • 13,346 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:32 PM

This is pretty impressively maintained conversation despite the fact you're each talking about a different team. /tongue.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

Bluray is talking about the Jets.
JB5093 is talking about the Bucs.

#11 BLU-RAY

BLU-RAY

• Members
  • 9,387 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:41 PM

FML.

Going to bed now. Wake me up after the draft, and please tell me the Bills didn't take a QB in the first.

#12 JB5093

JB5093

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:52 PM

Haha yeah I was talking about the Bucs GM. I believe he is going into his fifth year now with only one winning season under his belt. He's already survived one coaching change. This is a pretty big year for him.

#13 balefired-ed

balefired-ed

Council Member

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:09 AM

So, what players would you guys be happy with/unhappy with drafting for your teams?

Delighted- Chance Warmack
Happy- Dee Milliner
Unhappy- Barkevious Mingo
Furious- Geno Smith

#14 sToNED_CAT

sToNED_CAT

Council Member

• Members
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:55 AM

I got the impression that a big part of the frustration isn't simply that DR is leaving but that he feels that they didn't get enough in return.

I just wonder when was the last time CB was traded for more? Not to mention CB with huge contract. And the Jets had to trade him, there's no way they would be able to retain him with their cap situation. Plus Tampa was (it looks like) the only suitor, so I'm actually surprised they got so much.

#15 SkynJay

SkynJay

Now, what did we learn?

• Members
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:41 AM

Ya I can't imagine getting more than a first round pick for a CB. Washington had to throw in a second round pick with Champ to get a RB with a much shorter shelf life.

#16 Maithanet

Maithanet

Inoffensive, but mostly useless

• Members
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:53 AM

Ya I can't imagine getting more than a first round pick for a CB. Washington had to throw in a second round pick with Champ to get a RB with a much shorter shelf life.

Although to be fair, the Redskins got fleeced, as was their habit in that decade.

#17 grozeng

grozeng

Council Member

• Members
  • 4,283 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:05 AM

I would have been happy with a 1st and 3rd this year and the conditional 4th/3rd next year. Didn't the Bucs give two firsts for Keyshawn? I hate the trade more because the Jets could have kept him with an unguaranteed contract, let him show he was healthy this year and then trade him next year for his full value instead of when he is coming off the injury.

I really hope the Jets take Milliner or Mingo and then trade down with the second pick for a 1st next year and some more picks this year. They have so many holes that 2 high picks this year will not help them. Despite all the talk about how much they suck with Revis they were a 6-7 win team. Without Revis maybe they are a 4-5 win team. This team reminds me of the Jets of my youth. Just not good but not bad enough. I would love for them to get the 1st pick next year, but I just don't think they are going to be that bad.

#18 Maithanet

Maithanet

Inoffensive, but mostly useless

• Members
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:29 AM

I would have been happy with a 1st and 3rd this year and the conditional 4th/3rd next year. Didn't the Bucs give two firsts for Keyshawn? I hate the trade more because the Jets could have kept him with an unguaranteed contract, let him show he was healthy this year and then trade him next year for his full value instead of when he is coming off the injury.

Wasn't he going to be a free agent after this year? Tough to trade a guy like Revis that knows he has free agent money AND choice of landing spots coming to him. Sure you could trade him to a team conditional on signing a long term deal, but that is a harder trade, and you aren't going to get much for him (less than a first round pick).

I know that it sucks giving up a guy like Revis, but you have to be realistic about these sorts of things. The Jets have botched the qb situation so thoroughly that even Jacksonville is saying to themselves "at least we aren't the Jets". They can't get rid of Sanchez until next year, and they can't possibly win this year with him or Tebow. Quick rebuilds work in the NFL. You don't have to wait five years for the Jets to be good again. If the people running things are competent, you'll be terrible in 2013, less terrible in 2014 and a potential playoff/super bowl team for the next ten years after that, assuming that you actually get a quality rookie quarterback. Of course there's no guarantee that you will, but this is how rebuilds are done, and if done right, you're really only looking at one bad year. There have been so many bad years, is one more really so bad?

#19 Trebla

Trebla

Ack!

• Forum Moderators
  • 7,106 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:30 AM

I'm starting to get pumped up for the draft! It should be an interesting one since there is no consensus #1 guy and while its not top heavy, it is considered a deep draft. The positions that are considered deepest are o-line, d-tackle, and safety. Those are the areas by beloved Cowboys need most.

Following the mocks, their pick at 18 is all over the place. Some having them taking an offensive or defensive lineman, a safety, or even a defensive end. I'd be cool with any of those except the end. They have Ware and Spencer and have much bigger needs. They probably do need to take an end because Spencer was franchised, but I'd rather they took none one in the later rounds. The early mocks had them taking one of the elite guards, Chance Warmack or Jonathan Cooper. But the most recent ones have those guys moving father up, some even into the top 10. That's rare but they are both considered special and the lack of top skill position players makes that likely. In fact, Mel Kiper and Todd McShay have the top 6 offensive lineman being picked in the top 20. According to one blogger, that hasn't happened since the 60's. The top left tackles will almost certainly be picked in the top 15. That's okay for Dallas since they are set at LT. They need a RT to replace the struggling Doug Free. So my hope is Alabama's DJ Fluker is there at 18.

If not, I think they have to look at the other side of the ball where they are transitioning to a Cover 2. I think their biggest need is at safety and they could be in the position to select the top 1, Texas' Kenny Vacarro. If he's gone, then they should look at defensive tackle where they are aging. Jason Ratliff is over 30 and Jason Hatcher will be by the time the season starts. Ratliff has been hurt a lot lately and has alos been in trouble twice recently, including a DUI. Defensive tackles that should be there at 18 would be Sheldon Richardson and Sylvester Williams. Both are said to be ideal pass rushing tackles. There is also the possibility that they may trade down. That might not be such a bad idea since they do need a lot of help on the o-line and they only have 6 picks. If the draft is as deep as they say it is, they could get some good value in the middle rounds. So perhaps they could trade from 18 into the last 1st round and get a player like Justin Pugh, who was tackle in college but can play guard and center.

So what about your teams?

Edited by Trebla, 23 April 2013 - 09:34 AM.
typo

#20 grozeng

grozeng

Council Member

• Members
  • 4,283 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:17 AM

Wasn't he going to be a free agent after this year? Tough to trade a guy like Revis that knows he has free agent money AND choice of landing spots coming to him. Sure you could trade him to a team conditional on signing a long term deal, but that is a harder trade, and you aren't going to get much for him (less than a first round pick).

Yeah, but he wanted to be on the Jets. If they could have re-signed him for $96 Million where it is all non-guaranteed then they could have done that and traded him next year when the draft is supposed to be better. I think getting 3 picks for the best CB in the game is not unrealistic. I just think they did not get enough.

I think they are not going to be as bad as everyone thinks. A healthy Holmes and a QB that can complete passes (assuming it is Garrard) will make them a 5/6 win team.

Reply to this topic