Edric Dayne Theories?

King of Winters

He wouldn't have the claim to become lord of starfall, but he could potentially take it and the sword if he is so dangerous.

We would have to know why is he so dangerous. Then he would have to survive the battle with Kingsguard, and ultimately to gather force and attack Allyria. I don`t think it would be that easy for him to claim Starfall.

• 3 months later...

His name is proof to me that the Dayne's hold no ill will toward the Starks.

I personally believe Ned Dayne is gonna be the end of the BWB. Arthur Dayne took out the Kingswood Brotherhood I feel Ned defeating the Brothers without Banners would be quite poetic.

In one of Ran's great youtube videos (

), he theorizes that the Daynes are sort of the custodians to Dawn. The idea being, if I remember correctly, that the sword was the original Sword of Heroes, the original Lightbringer. If the original Last Hero died without issue, then the sword would have been held onto by one of his bannermen or friends, most likely. Especially as there seems to have been a very old prophecy that AA would be born again.

The Daynes therefore passed it down, from bearer to bearer only after they proved worth of it. Sort of like they had to hold onto it until Azor Ahai returned.

If this is true, Edric's role might be to get the sword to Azor Ahai, whoever that may be.

In one of Ran's great youtube videos (

), he theorizes that the Daynes are sort of the custodians to Dawn. The idea being, if I remember correctly, that the sword was the original Sword of Heroes, the original Lightbringer. If the original Last Hero died without issue, then the sword would have been held onto by one of his bannermen or friends, most likely. Especially as there seems to have been a very old prophecy that AA would be born again.

The Daynes therefore passed it down, from bearer to bearer only after they proved worth of it. Sort of like they had to hold onto it until Azor Ahai returned.

If this is true, Edric's role might be to get the sword to Azor Ahai, whoever that may be.

Seeing as I think Jon is AAR Edric may have to take Dawn to him, if he does find out. But I don't think Dawn is Lightbringer this time. I think NW is but I think Dawn is Dragonsteel, which the Others can't stand.

Seeing as I think Jon is AAR Edric may have to take Dawn to him, if he does find out. But I don't think Dawn is Lightbringer this time. I think NW is but I think Dawn is Dragonsteel, which the Others can't stand.

By dragonsteel do you mean Valyrian Steel? Because Dawn is not Valyrian Steel. It pre-dates all the known Valyrian steel swords that we have within the novel, Ice and Lady Forlorn for example.

I've seen the theory about the Night's Watch being Lightbringer this time, and I like it, but I am not convinced. If the Night's Watch was made up of the best knights in the realm, and a sworn brotherhood of more than just criminals and a handful of good men, I would say it makes more sense.

I think it more likely that Jon is The Prince Who Was Promised, with Azor Ahai yet to have been found.

Edric is a very interesting case, though. We know so little about him, especially about what happened to his parents and who raised him. I am guessing it was Allyria, though there is no proof of that.

One thing that is interesting about him is that he looks just like Arthur. He has the silvery hair and the purple eyes. Ashara Dayne had dark hair. I wonder if maybe those who are worthy to wield Dawn, all the Swords of the Morning, actually have this coloring. Maybe it is a way that the family knows to watch for the next Sword of Morning.

Based on reading the Riverlands element of the Northern Conspiracy (link below), I like the idea that the Blackfish met up with elements of the BwB after leaving Riverrun and is off on a mission somewhere. Since Edric is not seen when the BwB take Brienne, and given his noble station and what he could learn from the Blackfish, I like thinking that they are off somewhere together. So... when we find the Blackfish, we could find Edric.

http://zincpiccalilli.tumblr.com/post/52818610878

Based on reading the Riverlands element of the Northern Conspiracy (link below), I like the idea that the Blackfish met up with elements of the BwB after leaving Riverrun and is off on a mission somewhere. Since Edric is not seen when the BwB take Brienne, and given his noble station and what he could learn from the Blackfish, I like thinking that they are off somewhere together. So... when we find the Blackfish, we could find Edric.

http://zincpiccalill...ost/52818610878

Good theory but wouldn't the Blackfish be more on Lady Stonehearts side of the BWB? isn't that why we haven't seen Ned in a while?

Good theory but wouldn't the Blackfish be more on Lady Stonehearts side of the BWB? isn't that why we haven't seen Ned in a while?

I agree with this. I think he left the Brotherhood when Beric died his last. He could be on his way back to Starfall now, or even already there. And with Obara Sand and Balon Swann chasing after Gerold Dayne (who has a chip on his shoulder about Arthur), well, it wouldn't surprise me to see Edric at Starfall in the next book. Maybe with Areo as the POV...

He's the leader of a side-branch of the BWB, who seperated when they didn't like UnCat's mindless killing of anybody even remotley associated with freys or lannisters.

Its a bit far-fetched, but maybe if his merry band of outlaws does some especially heroic deeds (like say, liberating Kings Landing or Riverrun) he will become The Sword Of The Morning

And I am concerned about this too as a factor later on.

This second faction of the BWB, what is their exact attitude going to be later on when things get going?

So far, I took it as: Hey, Uncat, take it easy. Fine. We'll just go off and do our own thing.

Down the road:

Will they just remain out of Uncat and her faction's way?

Will there be a serious conflict of interests where they would act against Uncat and her faction?

Would they go so far as trying to stop them at a later date, if they feel she is going too far?

We have Brienne, Jaime, Gendry, and others, dealing with Uncat and her branch right now. Not sure what is going to go down with Edric's bunch,say if they encountered each other at a later date.

With all this Dayne build up in the series there must be something in store for him.

By dragonsteel do you mean Valyrian Steel? Because Dawn is not Valyrian Steel. It pre-dates all the known Valyrian steel swords that we have within the novel, Ice and Lady Forlorn for example.

I've seen the theory about the Night's Watch being Lightbringer this time, and I like it, but I am not convinced. If the Night's Watch was made up of the best knights in the realm, and a sworn brotherhood of more than just criminals and a handful of good men, I would say it makes more sense.

I think it more likely that Jon is The Prince Who Was Promised, with Azor Ahai yet to have been found.

Edric is a very interesting case, though. We know so little about him, especially about what happened to his parents and who raised him. I am guessing it was Allyria, though there is no proof of that.

One thing that is interesting about him is that he looks just like Arthur. He has the silvery hair and the purple eyes. Ashara Dayne had dark hair. I wonder if maybe those who are worthy to wield Dawn, all the Swords of the Morning, actually have this coloring. Maybe it is a way that the family knows to watch for the next Sword of Morning.

No. I'm not saying Dawn is Valyrian Steel, I'm saying Dawn is Dragonsteel as it's the oldest sword we know of as House Dayne is a First Men house and Dawn can be old enough to be Dragonsteel.

We don't actually know if Ser Arthur Dayne had silvery hair or dark hair. But we do know he had purple eyes.

As for NW being Lightbringer, I think that's what GRRM would do, not have Lightbringer be a sword this time. I think Dawn is the original Lightbringer, but I think this time NW will be Lightbringer.

It's also in their vows "the sword in the darkness", "the fire that burns against the cold", "the light that brings the dawn".

• 8 months later...

Why would they call him Ned when he was born after Ned Stark killed his uncle?

Not to mention Ned Stark being the cause of Ashara Daynes suicide. So its very strange that a man whom presumably caused such ruin in the Dayne family would have that family's last heir named (nickname) after him?

Archived