[Book Spoilers] - "Significance" of the Podrick Payne?

If the whores aren't spying for LF and possibly not for Varys, they might be spying for Cersei.

However, if they are spies, they would have taken the money to cover their tracks. I don't know, there should be something about it, it can't just be a bad joke.

Maybe they're spying for Littlefinger because Tywin wants to know who/where the whore is that means so much to Tyrion? Littlefinger mentioned he knew it wasn't Ros and asked why Cersei thought it was so he's curious and intends to let Tywin know. I'm pretty sure that Cersei still thinks she had the right girl and is patting herself on the back about how smart she was. She was lucky that Tyrion was decent enough to care that Ros didn't get tortured even though she wasn't his love.

Pod did something that no one had ever done? And it cost no money either?

Knowing what we know about Pod in the books I'll take a stab at this:

He treated them with respect and listened to them...something not a single one of them had probably ever experienced all things considered.

Of course I might have missed some of the dialog.

When it was first brought up last week, I was sure it had some sort of plot relevance. I thought maybe the whores got Pod to let something important slip (since he is with Tyrion a lot/Tyrion trusts him/etc) and therefore he didn't have to pay because they used him. So when Tyrion (and Bronn) asked Pod for "details" and to tell them "everything", I thought Tyrion wanted to listen to see if Pod fucked up somehow.

But then coming on here I realized it was just a joke. As a reader, I think I just over analyze things. This is the show, not the books (which I have to constantly remind myself). And on the show, there can be throw away scenes, things just for comic relief, etc, whereas in the books almost everything has some sort of underlying message.

I don't know why Ros and Varys were talking about it. It seems like the joke is played out at this point, but maybe the writers like it. But I don't think there's any underlying meaning anymore, and it's not foreshadowing or a hint. They're building up Pod's character so we care more about when he is taken by UnCat, and they are doing it in a way that they find humorous.

That's my take, in a long-winded explanation.

I would agree in normal circumstances with this assessment in any other show, but what puts me off in the GoT case is that the show producers are usually operating in really tight time constraints, since the number of episodes is predetermined at 10 for every season, seems a waste to put this sort of a joke in, especially since it features in two separate episodes, but who knows I guess.

That made me laugh so much.

But yeah, I find it hard to believe that they turned a character who was pretty much sexless/asexual in the books into a sex god just as a throwaway joke. I hope there is more to it. Did someone else pay without Roz' knowledge? Are they building him up to become a love interest for Sansa (he did have a crush on her in the books) or something like that? Or do they just think it will make him more interesting?

It's going to be weird now when he'll share a bedroom with Brienne.

I am not too sure if someone else paying would make any sense in this case, since Tyrion is already this "someone else" for Pod, why overcomplicate things? I also doubt much info can be got from Pod, i mean he has trouble spitting out things he wants to say, let alone something he might consider a secret, and on that note does he know any secrets really or does Tyrion even have any secrets at this stage, his scenes with Cercei seem to suggest she considers him done now that "Daddy" is in town. and even if Podrick knew something and did tell the whores, surely they would just take his money anyway.

The Brienne journey should have something to do with it, but I doubt D&D would move away from the book plot so much as to suggest a romance there, it would kinda ruin Brienne´s character, since she would be asking unCat to spare them not for some "poor, random, innocent boy´s" life, but for someone who threw a leg over her once or twice, sounds kinda cheep - Jaime deserves better.

Pod did something that no one had ever done? And it cost no money either?

Knowing what we know about Pod in the books I'll take a stab at this:

He treated them with respect and listened to them...something not a single one of them had probably ever experienced all things considered.

Of course I might have missed some of the dialog.

While a brilliant theory, what puts me off is the whores saying that it was "hard to describe" what he did. Your explanation seems great, but you managed to fit it into 2 sentences, pretty much, not all that difficult was it?

Some scenes are built simply for comic relief or to provide a little more exposure for a character who hasn't been given much to that point and there is no greater meaning intended. This is clearly one of them. No need to overanalyze...

I am in complete agreement with this post. It's just something to make the viewers smile plus give a little extra time to a minor character.

I believe Littlefinger told his prostitutes to not take the money. When Tyrion is getting the accounting books from Littlefinger, Littlefinger says to Tyrion "I understand that you owe your squire a significant debt". Then a couple of sentences later he says "And I owe you a significant debt." So Littlefinger is paying his debt to Tyrion by not taking his money for the services provided to Podrick. Obviously, the arrangements for Podrick's deflowering were made in advance. Tyrion knew who the three girls were beforehand - he describes them before they even come from behind their curtains. He must have selected them himself because one of them says "You didn't tell me he was so handsome." And I'm sure Littlefinger had to be be involved in the plans. He probably also told his girls to not say anything about it so they are intentionally vague when Ros asked them ("No bigger than most", "Hard to describe", etc.) As to why he doesn't tell Tyrion that it's a freebie, I don't know. Perhaps we'll find out later. Or maybe Tyrion does know and is just playing along to make Podrick feel special.

It's for the humor! Everything in the series can not ALL be politics and killings and the Pod scene in episode 3 was hilarious.

Many has the Pod scenes as "lows" in their opinion, but that's just the feminist, "men can not do that-attitude", talking.

Like Linda in their youtube video, where she praises everything that has to do with the Draenerys scene and criticises Pod. Again.

Don't get me wrong, the Daenerys scene was fantastic.

Comedy like that is needed througout all the political drama!

- vote Pod for Iron Throne

If you recall the scene right before that when Tyrion was talking to LF. LF said that he owed Tyrion something. IMO i think Tyrion already knew those girls would be on the house. He left the money there knowing it would not be accepted. Why would he do this you ask? Because If you also recall Tyrions convo with LF he said he had owed Pod something for saving his life. I think he did it as a confidence booster for Pod and when he came back with the money Tyrion went along with it. We know Pod is a timid guy and this would be the best way to make him feel good about himself

I believe Littlefinger told his prostitutes to not take the money. When Tyrion is getting the accounting books from Littlefinger, Littlefinger says to Tyrion "I understand that you owe your squire a significant debt". Then a couple of sentences later he says "And I owe you a significant debt." So Littlefinger is paying his debt to Tyrion by not taking his money for the services provided to Podrick. Obviously, the arrangements for Podrick's deflowering were made in advance. Tyrion knew who the three girls were beforehand - he describes them before they even come from behind their curtains. He must have selected them himself because one of them says "You didn't tell me he was so handsome." And I'm sure Littlefinger had to be be involved in the plans. He probably also told his girls to not say anything about it so they are intentionally vague when Ros asked them ("No bigger than most", "Hard to describe", etc.) As to why he doesn't tell Tyrion that it's a freebie, I don't know. Perhaps we'll find out later. Or maybe Tyrion does know and is just playing along to make Podrick feel special.

i was too excited to post my response that i didnt look at your post til after but i think we're both on the same page with this one

Almost certainly none whatsoever, aside from the possibility of some brick jokes down the line, plus the aforementioned keeping characters that don't otherwise have much to do involved (see, e.g., Greyjoy, Theon).

I laughed at it, so, it did its job just fine I'd say.

they need him to be remeberable when he shows up to travel with brienne...

him and his whores have zero plot relevance, its just a way of building his character...

Haha, I posted the same thing in another thread about this. Whether you found it funny or not they've ensured that no-one will ever forget Podrick "Whoresfriend" Payne.

It's just a quick-and-easy way to work in a joke and make a really minor character memorable.

It was funny as hell so I don't really care, as long as it keeps going.

Why build the character now with a silly whore joke when they have plenty of opportunity to do it when he travels with Brienne later on?

Because whores travel, and talk. Pod will become the Legendary Cockmaster of Westeros, and his name will be legend by the time he and Brienne hit the road. They'll be given free lodging in exchange for Pod's services.

Archived