102 replies to this topic

#41 Mosi Wanostracht

Mosi Wanostracht

Hedge Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

I'd rather they killed RDJ's Iron Man than ever recast him. It's his charisma that makes the character work so well. I don't want to see John Hamm or Bradley Cooper doing a RDJ impression for multiple marvel films. I love the character but....no, just no.

I agree. More than Batman, Superman, Spiderman, the Hulk even, the actor is the character. I can't imagine (don't want to imagine) anyone else try to be Tony Stark.

In Joss we trust...

So say we all.

Nick Fury would be another logical choice

Eep. That would probably leave Maria Hill in charge ... Bit obvious for St Joss, though, to kill the mentor.

#42 Hugging Pebble

Hugging Pebble

Not Innocent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,117 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:16 PM

Pretty much exactly what I was asking as well. Wife is okay with some explosions... not cool with the level of sex in the first IM movies. So I'm looking for more of an Avengers level of involvement. LOL

There is no actuall sex in this film. Yes there are some scantily clad women. and two women in the evil person's bed who its kinda obvious to an adult they are "sex toys" altough its not dwelt on and its breif.

There is plenty of inuendo, but to be honest most of that will probably go over young kids heads. If they are old enough to pick up on the inuendo then worrying about the sex in these films is probably a bit late.

I think some of the deeper stuff in the movie may need more of an adult viewpoint to understand / really notice.

there is explosions, but no gorry bits / severed limbs flinging about and lots of blood. I do remember someone with a noseblead. Obviously there are dead people. If the violance in Avengers is ok then this will be.

Personally I would not have any problem taking most 6 year olds to see it (with parental approval) provided the child is capable of behaving in a cinema. Its probably better for 8 year olds mind.

I think the most worrying / possibly disturbing part of the film is the Terrorisum by bombings. I'd be relucant to take a young child if I lived in Boston (US) due to the timing of events.

#43 denstorebog

denstorebog

?

• Members
  • 6,430 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:38 PM

After viewing, our group debated a bit back and forth...

- First, it was obvious to me that Pepper was brought back to normal from her EXTREMIS condition, but someone else thought that Stark "perfecting" her meant that she got to keep her powers. Not really in doubt about that though.
- Second, did he really destroy *all* the suits, or just the House Party ones? It seemed to be the former (which is kinda lame), but it's really hard to imagine that they won't have Stark in his Iron Man suit at some point in Avengers 2. Yes, it could be retconned, but that would be even more lame. Stark did pick up a screwdriver in the final shot, signaling his continued interest in being the mechanic, but still.
- Third; he suddenly 'fixed' his own heart condition? What? The whole premise of Iron Man *builds* on his need for the reactor! No way he just solved that in 30 seconds.

In general, the last 20 minutes should probably have been redesigned (the climax lacked tension, maybe because it wasn't clear what exactly Killian was working towards and how), but apart from that, I would agree that it was probably the strongest of the three. But it's hard to say if that'll still be the case on second viewing. A lot of my enjoyment came from the pretty wild turns the movie took, not just plotwise but also in its almost genre-bending changes in tone.

Edited by denstorebog, 29 April 2013 - 04:39 PM.

#44 Golden Lion

Golden Lion

Hedge Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:28 PM

I liked it but I had some issues with it.

I kept waiting for Shield to show up. I mean they showed up when Stark was just being annoying, they showed up when Thor was loofing around, I don't get why Black Widow or something didn't show as a help. Just seemed a bit unrealistic that shield wouldn't help Tony after such a direct attack on him and after such a domestic threat like the bombings.

Fixing his reactor problem and destroying the suits made my eyes roll, the reactor is too symbolic imho.

Loved that he saved the dummy robot, I was sad when it fell into the ocean.

The remote control suits were nice and good for twists but the concept seems problematic, i mean they did the same thing in iron man 2, I just hope we get more tony in the suit rather than tony off site commanding or wandering about with a gun like a bad action movie.

Other than that I really loved it, was dead on with all the humour, the plot seemed pretty cohesive and they had a lot of good actors cast even for some of the really minor roles.

#45 Mosi Wanostracht

Mosi Wanostracht

Hedge Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:25 PM

Loved that he saved the dummy robot, I was sad when it fell into the ocean.

I loved that too.

#46 Necromancer

Necromancer

Freerider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:44 PM

I really enjoyed Iron Man 3. I thought it was even better than the first, and miles better than the second. I'm not a comic book reader, so I didn't mind the twist with the Mandarin. Downey, Kingsley and Pearce were all awesome, though.

While it was funny, I was a bit disappointed by the post-credits scene (I was hoping for a Thor: The Dark World teaser).

#47 Lord Toblerone

Lord Toblerone

Council Member

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:32 AM

After viewing, our group debated a bit back and forth...

- First, it was obvious to me that Pepper was brought back to normal from her EXTREMIS condition, but someone else thought that Stark "perfecting" her meant that she got to keep her powers. Not really in doubt about that though.
- Second, did he really destroy *all* the suits, or just the House Party ones? It seemed to be the former (which is kinda lame), but it's really hard to imagine that they won't have Stark in his Iron Man suit at some point in Avengers 2. Yes, it could be retconned, but that would be even more lame. Stark did pick up a screwdriver in the final shot, signaling his continued interest in being the mechanic, but still.
- Third; he suddenly 'fixed' his own heart condition? What? The whole premise of Iron Man *builds* on his need for the reactor! No way he just solved that in 30 seconds.

In general, the last 20 minutes should probably have been redesigned (the climax lacked tension, maybe because it wasn't clear what exactly Killian was working towards and how), but apart from that, I would agree that it was probably the strongest of the three. But it's hard to say if that'll still be the case on second viewing. A lot of my enjoyment came from the pretty wild turns the movie took, not just plotwise but also in its almost genre-bending changes in tone.

I forget what the line was when he picked up the screwdriver, but I thought it definitely indicated he'll continue working on Iron Man technology.

Oh, and Killian=Bayaz.

Edited by Redcock, 03 May 2013 - 10:33 AM.

#48 Bastard of Boston

Bastard of Boston

Council Member

• Members
  • 731 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:36 PM

Liked the movie, but didn't love the movie. Part 1 is still thee Iron Man film.

The thing that kept me from loving the movie was Extremis. I thought it was very poorly conceptualized. I just could not get into the army of flaming limb re-growers. They all felt really generic and somewhat ridiculous to me. Every time one of them flamed on or grew another limb, I kind of groaned. It was the fire that bothered me more than the regrowing of limbs -- that essentially is the point of Extremis, afterall, the healing factor. But, breathing fire? Could not buy it, and since it was such a major component of the plot, it really dragged the movie down for me. I thought it was hilarious and RDJr. was great as always, but that Extremis...

And then Pepper going into ninja mode at the end, and reacting to it as if she had no control over what she just did? Meh. I thought her wearing the Iron Man armor was great. But, they should've left it at that. I couldn't get into Gwyneth as "action hero." Really, everything else I liked. I even liked what they did to this version of Mandarin.

#49 Ramsay Blow

Ramsay Blow

Council Member

• Members
  • 2,931 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:56 PM

Just saw it and was disappointed. Too talky and just all over the place. The Mandarin was a bust and the Extremis was pretty generic and just uninteresting. I think they just need to simplify and not rely on all the gimmick-type things like all the different Iron Man suits. Ehhh 5.3/10

#50 Madfunkymonkey

Madfunkymonkey

Council Member

• Banned
  • 829 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:17 PM

If you noticed the "dummy" robot was the first robot Tony built in the first movie.
There is a picture of a young Tony with it in the first movie.

#51 Noontidal

Noontidal

Commoner

• Members
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:22 PM

Third part first - his fixing his own condition seemed related to what he gained from 'fixing' Pot's condition. Beyond that there is every reason to believe he had not spent much effort correcting that particular issue previously.

Second, all except War Machine. My issue was with how fragile they seemed and a lack of variation in individual suit purposing. How Jarvis should know what he meant, and that he had this plan available means he was possibly planning on issues of control loss, but it worked for that situation.

Tony would probably build her her very own suit - and was clearly planning on it - if he felt it would keep her safe. So she probably regenerates a bit, much slower than the defective models, but it should be there nonetheless.

#52 JB5093

JB5093

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:10 PM

It wasn't awful but I was not overly impressed either. I had high expectations for the Mandarin going in, so the twist was very disappointing to me. It was better than the second one but not as good as the third.

#53 Mosi Wanostracht

Mosi Wanostracht

Hedge Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:37 AM

If you noticed the "dummy" robot was the first robot Tony built in the first movie.
There is a picture of a young Tony with it in the first movie.

Awwwwww. /smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

#54 Alex.

Alex.

We Go Again

• Members
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:40 AM

The opening title music was inspired.

#55 Commodore

Commodore

random idiot

• Members
  • 6,995 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:59 PM

now that we've made hundreds of millions portraying all this violence and mayhem and won't be doing Iron Man 4, let's wrap it up with a nice PC message and destroy all the weapons we just spent the last 3 hours using to save our own lives

#56 Tsavong Lah

Tsavong Lah

Not A Short Asian Kid

• Members
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:16 PM

Since this is a spoiler thread, I'm not going to refrain from talking kind of openly about the Mandarin.

I was very conflicted about the reveal of the Mandarin as a fake. I was definitely surprised by it. I tend not to try to guess what is going to happen in movies because as fun as it is to pat myself on the back and say "you're so smart" to myself, it is more fun to let myself be surprised. So maybe it was more obvious. I thought Ben Kingsley's portrayal both in character as the Mandarin and as Trevor was great. At the same time, I felt that there was so much potential with the Mandarin as a villain that was then just shot to hell with that reveal. So it was both good and frustrating. Especially because Guy Pearce's character didn't have anywhere close to the presence that the Mandarin did.

Overall this felt more like a pretty good movie than a good superhero movie. There was comparatively little actual superhero time, and much of the time he was in the suit it was handicapped in some way. But it was entertaining, and the character of Tony Stark is definitely good enough to carry a movie on his own even with zero time spent in mechanized war armor. The editing had a very different feel than the first two movies. There was a definite feel of Act 1, Act 2, etc. It made it seem like separate issues of a comic book (but with a continuous story) put together to make a movie. I feel that a little more finesse with the editing would have made it flow a little bit better.

Overall I'd give it like a 7/10 (a true 7/10, not how ratings are inflated at many review sites). I might even bump it up to a 7.5/10 just because we got to see the Hulkbuster Armor.

#57 Leofric

Leofric

Hedge Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:33 PM

Since this is a spoiler thread, I'm not going to refrain from talking kind of openly about the Mandarin.

I was very conflicted about the reveal of the Mandarin as a fake. I was definitely surprised by it. I tend not to try to guess what is going to happen in movies because as fun as it is to pat myself on the back and say "you're so smart" to myself, it is more fun to let myself be surprised. So maybe it was more obvious. I thought Ben Kingsley's portrayal both in character as the Mandarin and as Trevor was great. At the same time, I felt that there was so much potential with the Mandarin as a villain that was then just shot to hell with that reveal. So it was both good and frustrating. Especially because Guy Pearce's character didn't have anywhere close to the presence that the Mandarin did.

Isn't this kind of the point, he basically decided on the roof in 1999 that being anonymous and the power behind the throne was the best way to go. So the Mandarin persona is supposed to have more presence than Pearce's character. When Aldridge basically steps up and first shows off for Pepper with his big brain and raises Lucky's suspicions and then claims the Mandarin title at the end, he basically goes against his own policy of the past 13 years and steps out of the fog and that leads to his failure in the end.

Overall I thought the the movie was great, though the narration reminded me a little too much of the Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang with him starting then restarting at the beginning giving me a little deja vu.

#58 Slurktan

Slurktan

Hideous C.H.U.D. #4

• Members
  • 5,391 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:27 AM

I liked it quite a bit. The humour was great and I very much liked Kingsley in both roles. But much like Avengers, holy shit was it dumb.

#59 Mosi Wanostracht

Mosi Wanostracht

Hedge Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:24 PM

At the same time, I felt that there was so much potential with the Mandarin as a villain that was then just shot to hell with that reveal. So it was both good and frustrating. Especially because Guy Pearce's character didn't have anywhere close to the presence that the Mandarin did.

I thought this was clever for a couple of reasons. The Mandarin could have been as terrifying as TDK's Joker. But he would always be compared to The Joker if they went that way. Maybe I was imagining it, but I did hear a couple of Jokeresque drawls in the Mandarin's TV speeches. And I thought the fact that Aldrich did not have that theatrical presence (except right at the end) was cool too. He was a dark alternative to Tony, set on that path inadvertently by Tony himself. I liked both villains. And I thought the Trevor reveal was amazing - the cinema I was in was right with Tony in that scene. We were baffled and confused and then everyone found it hilarious - both Ben Kingsley and RDJ were brilliant.

#60 Mexal

Mexal

Cards are only half the battle

• Members
  • 11,150 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:39 PM

It was alright. It just felt more of the same. I just can't see too many differences between any of the Marvel movies anymore.

Reply to this topic