[BOOK SPOILERS] Selyse's Babies

TheEvilKing

So, these will be sacrificed instead of the leeches, right? King's Blood, and there's 3 of them.

How it'll go down:

- Mel brings Gendry to Dragonstone to sacrifice.

- Davos persuades Stannis not to kill him.

- Stannis takes the stillborn and burns them instead.

Dead babies are dead. You can't use them for magic, since there is no life to sacrifice. So no. Gendry will be the one, but he might not die. Most likely it will seem like he's going to die but he will end up just getting leeched.

I thought it was pretty obvious that the babies (how convenient, there are three!) are going to replace the leeches.

I don't think they'll show Melisandre throwing pickled fetuses in the fire though, that would be a little to gruesome even for HBO.

Said this in the nitpick thread: if those were supposed to be fetuses, Selyse must have been five months overdue with that huge middle one!

Well they could be stillborn fully grown 9 months babies. I've seen some pretty big stillborn babies in jars in anatomy museums.

Having just watched Elio and Linda's review of the episode, I can't understand why this wasn't mentioned. I'll just have to assume that it was because they were being too busy being upset about the TV shows creating a gay lover for Loras. And BTW, I've yet to see anything in the books that more than hints (and I mean very vaguely) at Loras and Renly having been gay lovers. The TV writers are really overselling that.

I've noticed though that in the UK the entertainment industry tries very hard to depict society as being as gay as the entertainment industry in the UK - which appears to be about 10X as gay as the general population.

And BTW, I've yet to see anything in the books that more than hints (and I mean very vaguely) at Loras and Renly having been gay lovers. The TV writers are really overselling that.

Have you considered that this might be because neither Renly nor Loras are POV characters?

I've noticed though that in the UK the entertainment industry tries very hard to depict society as being as gay as the entertainment industry in the UK - which appears to be about 10X as gay as the general population.

Oh never mind. This explains your previous comment *quite* well.

Showing dead babies in jars was pretty creepy, even for HBO standards ... but going so far as to throw dead babies into a fire for sacrifice would be over the top. WAY over the top. This stuff wasn't in the books and the books had plenty of gruesome bits, even babies being killed, but I really hope they're not seriously going to use those for the king's blood ritual.

interesting theory i was thinking something along thoes lines my self, but not sure. reguardless those fetuses were soo creepy kinda gives a real weird side to Selyse but i like it. and as said by someone already that baby in the middle (the huge one) was a bit too big to be a newborn it was like the side of a fat healthy 6month old or something. maybe he wasnt fully still born but liked for just a small time

Said this in the nitpick thread: if those were supposed to be fetuses, Selyse must have been five months overdue with that huge middle one!

Well they could be stillborn fully grown 9 months babies. I've seen some pretty big stillborn babies in jars in anatomy museums.

It might be just the lens effect from the curved wall of glass filled with liquid.

Maybe the whole thing is just a throwback to the days of the siege at Storms End and starving their asses off. You never know when the day might come that your down to eating boot leather and those baby jars start looking better than pickled pigs feet.

Someone had to say it, might as well be me. :D

This is another great example of something people wouldn't have a problem with if it had been in the books, but because it's not they freak out. Someone mentioned the scene in the books where Jaime has sex with Cersei mid-period next to their son's dead body as a counterpoint to the baby jars. I can only imagine the outrage if that hadn't been in the book, but appears in the show.

Archived