[Book Spoilers] No Patchface?

Warrior Queen

People really wanted Patchface in the show? Some things just don't translate well to screen, and Patchface is one of them. He would look incredibly stupid.

These are my feelings on it as well. Fools are one of those cliched aspects of medieval fantasy that I can tolerate in a book but would rather be left out of a TV or movie. They need to trim plenty from the books to fit the material into the confines that HBO has given them, and this is one cut that is fairly straightforward to me.

This was really unnecessary. ;) I am going to have nightmares tonight, for real.

I think Shireen is replacing Patchface. I am fine with that, too. Patchface scares me. I don't think anyone (but us) are paying attention to her songs, so maybe we'll get something fun. I am the queen of wishful thinking.

These are my feelings on it as well. Fools are one of those cliched aspects of medieval fantasy that I can tolerate in a book but would rather be left out of a TV or movie. They need to trim plenty from the books to fit the material into the confines that HBO has given them, and this is one cut that is fairly straightforward to me.

:agree: I find him one of the most annoying characters in the book, but only now realize that his sayings were prophetic. :bang:

That said, even the songs don't translate well to screen, especially the I know oh oh oh. I hope there isn't more significance to his character as others have suggested. Then D&D, if they get that far, will have a 'merenesse knot' of their own.

Now I forget how Shireen got greyscale and how Patchface claimed his prophetic visions, but don't these both involve falling off a boat? I remember Patchface was the survivor of a voyage with no one else, but they could merge the two stories together in that way.

Now I forget how Shireen got greyscale and how Patchface claimed his prophetic visions, but don't these both involve falling off a boat? I remember Patchface was the survivor of a voyage with no one else, but they could merge the two stories together in that way.

I think Shireen was born with it. Griff got greyscale in ADWD by jumping off a boat you may be thinking of.

Patchface was the only survivor of the shipwreck that killed Robert/Stannis/Renly's father.

Here is my immediate thoughts:

Birds have scales: Crows get grayscale

Fish have wings: greyjoy(s) ride dragons

The rain is dry: Meteors?

Snow falls up: Either a bastard from the north going up the ranks, possibly to the throne, or a bastard from the north getting gripped up by a dragon and thrown upwards

Stones crack open: Castles getting destroyed

Water Burns: Wildfire? Blackwater?

Shadows: Mellisandres shadow baby, who knows...

Why would 'fish' refer to Greyjoy and not Tully?

In my personal book nerd fantasy interpretation, I like to think that Patchface is off-screen at Dragonstone, and Shireen is just repeating what she's heard from him. Realistically, they've probably written him out of the show. Oh well. As much as I like Patchface in the books, I do like Shireen innocently singing his creepy rhymes, so I'll focus my nit picky nerd rage elsewhere.

As for not translating well to the screen, I agree that as written, it wouldn't work - his cowbells would be extremely distracting and drown out dialogue, etc. However, I think he could have been modified to be more tv friendly, like they did with Jaqen's hair, or Bran in the cart instead of on Hodor's back.

Archived