Why do so many people think, Lyanna went with Rhaegar willingly?

Jacob Feybrad

Awesome website! I'm very happy to have found this and look forward to reading all of your thoughts. My question on the below is Ser Arthur Dayne's response The Kingsguard does not flee. Then or now, Maybe I'm stretching this too far, but if the 3 knights know that Rhaegar and the Mad King are already dead, then wouldn't the above statement indicate that they're currently guarding the King (Lyanna's baby)? Especially by saying Then or now,” ? I've included the whole passage below again, which by the way, I could read 1,000 times and it never gets old. Can't wait to find out what really happened!

Maybe Rhaegar told them that this would be the child of prophecy, and they are to protect it. Perhaps Lyanna had the child, they saw that it was a male, and are fulfilling their vow's by defending the new King?

“I looked for you on the Trident,” Ned said to them. “We were not there,” Ser Gerold answered. “Woe to the Usurper if we had been,” said Ser Oswell. “When King's Landing fell, Ser Jaime slew your king with a golden sword, and I wondered where you were.” “Far away,” Ser Gerold said, “or Aerys would yet sit the Iron Throne, and our false brother would burn in seven hells.” “I came down on Storm's End to lift the siege,” Ned told them, and the Lords Tyrell and Redwyne dipped their banners, and all their knights bent the knee to pledge us fealty. I was certain you would be among them.” “Our knees do not bend easily,” said Ser Arthur Dayne. “Ser Willem Darry is fled to Dragonstone, with your queen and Prince Viserys. I thought you might have sailed with him.” Ser Willem is a good man and true,” said Ser Oswell. But not of the Kingsguard,” Ser Gerold pointed out. “The Kingsguard does not flee. Then or now,” said Ser Arthur. He donned his helm. We swore a vow,” explained old Ser Gerold. Ned’s wraiths moved up beside him, with shadow swords in hand. They were seven against three. “And now it begins,” said Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning. He unsheathed Dawn and held it with both hands. The blade was pale as milkglass, alive with light. “No,” Ned said with sadness in his voice. “Now it ends.”[3]

Awesome website! I'm very happy to have found this and look forward to reading all of your thoughts. My question on the below is Ser Arthur Dayne's response “The Kingsguard does not flee.” “Then or now,” Maybe I'm stretching this too far, but if the 3 knights know that Rhaegar and the Mad King are already dead, then wouldn't the above statement indicate that they're currently guarding the King (Lyanna's baby)? Especially by saying “Then or now,” ? I've included the whole passage below again, which by the way, I could read 1,000 times and it never gets old. Can't wait to find out what really happened!

Maybe Rhaegar told them that this would be the child of prophecy, and they are to protect it. Perhaps Lyanna had the child, they saw that it was a male, and are fulfilling their vow's by defending the new King?

“I looked for you on the Trident,” Ned said to them. “We were not there,” Ser Gerold answered. “Woe to the Usurper if we had been,” said Ser Oswell. “When King's Landing fell, Ser Jaime slew your king with a golden sword, and I wondered where you were.” “Far away,” Ser Gerold said, “or Aerys would yet sit the Iron Throne, and our false brother would burn in seven hells.” “I came down on Storm's End to lift the siege,” Ned told them, and the Lords Tyrell and Redwyne dipped their banners, and all their knights bent the knee to pledge us fealty. I was certain you would be among them.” “Our knees do not bend easily,” said Ser Arthur Dayne. “Ser Willem Darry is fled to Dragonstone, with your queen and Prince Viserys. I thought you might have sailed with him.” “Ser Willem is a good man and true,” said Ser Oswell. “But not of the Kingsguard,” Ser Gerold pointed out. “The Kingsguard does not flee.” “Then or now,” said Ser Arthur. He donned his helm. “We swore a vow,” explained old Ser Gerold. Ned’s wraiths moved up beside him, with shadow swords in hand. They were seven against three. “And now it begins,” said Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning. He unsheathed Dawn and held it with both hands. The blade was pale as milkglass, alive with light. “No,” Ned said with sadness in his voice. “Now it ends.”[3]

Yeah the main theory is that the Kingsguard were protecting their rightful king after Rhaegar, Aerys and Aegon had died, so that would be Jon. I'm not sure if Rhaegar had told them about the prophecy or not, but the main reason they stayed was because Jon was the king then.

Welcome to the Forum :cheers:

Well if you count Lyanna being the KOTLT then it's possible that they fell in love when Rhaegar caught her and saw she was brave as well as beautiful and that's why he crowned her QoLaB. And Lyanna didn't want to marry Robert and couldn't stop thinking about Rhaegar and Rhaegar couldn't stop thinking about her as well, so they decided that they'd run away together.

:agree:

The page needs to be corrected, then - there is a two-year period between Harrenhall and the Sack (Jaime is fifteen at HH, 281, and seventeen when he kills Aerys283), Lyanna goes missing about a year after Harrenhall and meanwhile, Aegon is born in 282, from Cat's and Stannis' recollection, the war lasted for about a year.

No, I haven't, and this is not correct. Barristan swore again when he bent knee to Robert, and Viserys is king by the right of blood, he doesn't need a ceremony for that. Plus, when he was on Dragonstone, he was not in exile, he was still in Westeros.

I believe that "hanging around ToH" has been addressed many times, and certainly wouldn't prolong after Lyanna either died or recovered, and given the distances, it was tough luck that Ned managed to arrive in time.

They cannot have a calm discussion with Ned about the child because some secrets are best kept hidden and too dangerous to share, especially if you don't know whether you can trust the person to keep the secret.

The unfavourable odds were nearly won by Dayne, so the idea doesn't seem so suicidous after all.

From Ned "The war had raged for close to a year"

No need discuss something that's stated in the book by a reliable source.

I agree with Swan Targ, fingers - about a year passed between the tourney at Harrenhal and Lyanna's abduction, bringing the total time passed between the tourney and Lyanna's death to about two years.

Not sure whether finger actually argues or supports the timeline. My original post was a reply to one quoting the wiki: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Robert%27s_Rebellion:

Robert's Rebellion
, also known as the
War of the Usurper
, was a rebellion against
, primarily instigated by
, and
, for whom it is named.
It lasted almost two years
and resulted in the end of the Targaryen dynasty in the
and the beginning of Robert Baratheon's reign

The page seems in need of editing, as

The conflict was instigated after
had kidnapped
, who was betrothed to
Despite the pleading of
for patience, her brother
rode to the city of

is also rather imprecise, as I don't recall Hoster pleading Brandon to stay, only label him a "gallant fool" after learning about his action.

Not sure whether finger actually argues or supports the timeline. My original post was a reply to one quoting the wiki: http://awoiaf.wester...ert's_Rebellion:

Robert's Rebellion
, also known as the
War of the Usurper
, and
, for whom it is named.

had kidnapped
, who was betrothed to
Despite the pleading of
rode to the city of

is also rather imprecise, as I don't recall Hoster pleading Brandon to stay, only label him a "gallant fool" after learning about his action.

A wise man was Hoster Tully.

I agree with Swan Targ, fingers - about a year passed between the tourney at Harrenhal and Lyanna's abduction, bringing the total time passed between the tourney and Lyanna's death to about two years.

True.

But someone asked how long had the war lasted. That's why I quoted the book.

Not sure whether finger actually argues or supports the timeline. My original post was a reply to one quoting the wiki: http://awoiaf.wester...ert's_Rebellion:

Robert's Rebellion
, also known as the
War of the Usurper
, and
, for whom it is named.

had kidnapped
, who was betrothed to
Despite the pleading of
rode to the city of

I was bringing about a quote from a Ned chapter. I think the source is most reliable, so that we can consider a proven fact that the war lasted nearly a year.

Not sure whether finger actually argues or supports the timeline. My original post was a reply to one quoting the wiki: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Robert%27s_Rebellion:

Robert's Rebellion
, also known as the
War of the Usurper
, and
, for whom it is named.

had kidnapped
, who was betrothed to
Despite the pleading of
rode to the city of

2 years, from the time Lyanna was taken to the time Dragonstone was taken.

There may actually be someting in the books about him pleading with Brandon, there is a continuity problem with his story, I pointed this out on R+L=J.

Don't forget the Worldbook is coming out, from the updates I have read, some stuff that is canon is going to be changed, timelines and family trees will be updated and altered. We could see different dates for different events brought into the mix.

^ We've talked already about this. I call it the Wildling theory.

Rhaegar somehow discoverd Lyanna as the Kolt, and help her escape. Both fell in love, an R crowned L as Qobal.

They kept in contact and L asked R to help he escape again, this time from Robert.

What more chivalrous that saving a maiden from a monster of lust?

It's more of Lyanna to lead than to follow.

The fact constitute a wildling marriage, even though they didn't perform them consciously like that.

Lord Snow is their legal son according to wildling rules.

Sorry for the telegram style, but I have to leave now.

^ We've talked already about this. I call it the Wildling theory.

Rhaegar somehow discoverd Lyanna as the Kolt, and help her escape. Both fell in love, an R crowned L as Qobal.

They kept in contact and L asked R to help he escape again, this time from Robert.

What more chivalrous that saving a maiden from a monster of lust?

It's more of Lyanna to lead than to follow.

The fact constitute a wildling marriage, even though they didn't perform them consciously like that.

Lord Snow is their legal son according to wildling rules.

Sorry for the telegram style, but I have to leave now.

Somehow I think Lyanna went to him.

I imagine Rhaegar to be very Ned-ish and Lyanna more active.

He might have suggested that to her, and she was like "what? are you crazy? I can't do that", then thought about it and went to him, somehow.

Somehow I think Lyanna went to him.

I imagine Rhaegar to be very Ned-ish and Lyanna more active.

He might have suggested that to her, and she was like "what? are you crazy? I can't do that", then thought about it and went to him, somehow.

Or maybe they decided to meet up somewhere where nobody would see them and then ran away to the ToJ.

Archived