i will call you M'Lady. (SPOILERs to NON Book READERS)

Hey All,

great episode last night, I apologise for not having my book to confirm this, but i do not recall this statement from Gendry to Arya in the books, that she wold be his family and he says that he would call her M'Lady.

Is this D&D knowing more about the future and setting up a more visible foundation for future relationship between the two?

i think it's more about gendry thinking he would never be able to see arya as a part of his family because she is noble and he is lowborn / a bastard.

therefore he would always call her m'lady and never sister or something.

i think it's more about gendry thinking he would never be able to see arya as a part of his family because she is noble and he is lowborn / a bastard.

Definitely agree, that's roughly how I took it too. No matter Arya's intentions, everyone else would consider it odd - and more single out Gendry as "the Lady's pet" among other commoners which cannot be good for him. Arya would probably face similar suspicions from her social peers, whispers of an "un-prudent relationship" are probably almost unavoidable even if there's no actual ground for it apart from them spending time together.

I didn't even think of the line as high birth/low birth, but that's so obvious now. Derp. I just thought it meant he could never see her as a sister because she's his lady-- just that their relationship is different than a family one. I dunno. I took it as bittersweet sort of, but it's actually showing class division and now I'm sad.

I think there is more than one way to look at what Gendry said to her. Yes, going with the Brotherhood in a sense of choosing his own fate/family, and yet I can't help but think of the Tywin/Arya scene from last season:

Quote:

Tywin Lannister
: Girl,
m'Lord
. Low born girls say
m'Lord
, not
my Lord
. If you're going to pose as a commoner, you should do it properly.

Arya Stark
: My mother served Lady Dustive for many years, my Lord. She taught me how to speak proper... properly.

Tywin Lannister
: You're too smart for your own good. Has anyone told you that?

Arya Stark
: Yes.

Gendry uses the more term "My Lady", rather than "Milady". Or am I hearing things? Do you think he is over-emphasizing the separation between them? It seems so formal. I do think there are those who will read it as a term of courtly love. Who is to say they are wrong?

I didn't even think of the line as high birth/low birth, but that's so obvious now. Derp. I just thought it meant he could never see her as a sister because she's his lady-- just that their relationship is different than a family one. I dunno. I took it as bittersweet sort of, but it's actually showing class division and now I'm sad.

It's because he delivers the line a bit awkwardly (It is worded a little strangely too, almost incomplete), so at first it looks like his honest smile is a romantic one. I had the same reaction at first but my disbelief stirred something within that made me realize he just meant he is not of birth to be family with a lady.

I wonder if by the end they really will be equals... He is the son of a king, after all, so he could in theory be legitimized. He never struck me as too politically-aspired or that smart, but that comes with the life he had.

But if he is chosen to carry on the Baratheon legacy besides Edric Storm he would in theory be an equal to Arya. Or a husband.

I don't like speculation that goes too far ahead in the future, but I would actually like that.

But what if it is revealed that Gendry really is Robert and Cersei's kid.

Gendry did tell Ned that his mother had yellow hair and Cersei could have easily killed or paid off anyone who knows that she actually gave birth to Gendry.

Cersei did tell Cat that she lost a child one time. What if she lied and actually had one of Robert's children and Gendry is it.

It is all related to social status. Arya's the daughter of a highborn lord, with an old name.Gendry's a bastard and a smith's apprentice.

Knee-Slayer: Errr, no. That doesn't make any sense at all, except for the colour of Gendry's mother's hair. Which isn't really much.

It is all related to social status. Arya's the daughter of a highborn lord, with an old name.Gendry's a bastard and a smith's apprentice.

Knee-Slayer: Errr, no. That doesn't make any sense at all, except for the colour of Gendry's mother's hair. Which isn't really much.

If R+L =J, then R+C=G is possible. To make it an even better twist. Gendry and Joffery could be twins. Jamie is Joffery's father while Robert is Gendry's father. It is possible for a woman to have twins with 2 different fathers.

The seed is strong... With the Edric/Gendry switch, it's possible (likely) that Gendry will discover who his real father is from Mel or Stannis. This has huge implications, because he never actually found out; he may have had suspicions but no actual proof. I'm not entirely sure how important Gendry will be to the Brotherhood/Stoneheart story, but I think it's very possible that he sticks with Stannis and goes to the Wall next season. I'm thinking they'll find a better way to use a character who at this point hasn't really had any use other than being a friend to Arya. On top of that, Gendry seems to be a fan-favourite (God knows why), so maybe they'll do it to keep him in the show.

I think deep down the proiducers/writers are hinting at something. When Gendry says 'I will call you m'lady', he means that if they wanted to be family it would be through marriage. The only reason i think this is because in the same episode, when Stannis visits Selyse, he calls her 'M'Lady'. So it mustn't be just be a term for low born to refer to highborn. Stannis never used this phrase in the show before - could be a little bit of a foreshadowing.

Also, we know Arya pretty much forfeits her claim to anything as a Stark/Highborn when she runs off to Braavos.

However, this is all speculation.

Archived