i will call you M'Lady. (SPOILERs to NON Book READERS)

Arya killed me this episode even though I have read the books and some of the lines are directly from it. Maisie Williams is such an amazing actress when she delivers the lines its like someone reached down your throat and ripped your heart out. When she went after The Hound , then this scene, then the scene with wanting Thoros to bring her father back - :bawl: If she doesn't win an emmy or Golden Globe this year, she was robbed. She was amazing in this episode. And she's going to kill us all after the RW.

That was pulled all the way back from ADwD , tho a conversation between two different characters.

I guess I don't know my English class history very well.

Was there a time when there were class distinctions between 'milady', 'my lady', 'milord', 'my lord' ... I thought it was a dialect sort of thing?

I notice on the show there are few slips. High born and low born watch the references to 'mi' and 'my' in the scripts , tho guessing there have been slips.

I meant the 'milady' and 'my lady' lines are from ADwD in a conversation between Roose Bolton and Theon.

I don't know if they are spoken sometime in the other novels since the Tywin-Arya dialog in season 2 was an invention.

Quite clever in those verbal sparing scenes.

noooooo! I knew this would happen the second TV Gendry said that! I agree with everyone here who says it's a high birth/low birth thing. He's saying she can't be his family, because he's lowborn and she's not. She would be his superior, not his sister. It's not a marriage proposal.

I listen to a podcast where the podcasters haven't read the books (I know...) and they devoted about 15 minutes to discussion about how Arya and Gendry are obviously going to fall in love, based on this line. Gah.

I meant the 'milady' and 'my lady' lines are from ADwD in a conversation between Roose Bolton and Theon.

I don't know if they are spoken sometime in the other novels since the Tywin-Arya dialog in season 2 was an invention.

Quite clever in those verbal sparing scenes.

Yes, I knew which scene in ADWD you meant, and I also agree this scene was fabricated using it as source. I also agree that Martin's wording is masterful, which is why I wonder if it was an intention slip in reference to the OP. That's all.

noooooo! I knew this would happen the second TV Gendry said that! I agree with everyone here who says it's a high birth/low birth thing. He's saying she can't be his family, because he's lowborn and she's not. She would be his superior, not his sister. It's not a marriage proposal.

I listen to a podcast where the podcasters haven't read the books (I know...) and they devoted about 15 minutes to discussion about how Arya and Gendry are obviously going to fall in love, based on this line. Gah.

Someone should tell them Bryan Cogman, the writer of the episode, said it's nothing more than a class thing.

As cute as they are together, I ultimately don't want it to happen (in the show or the books) because Arya's young and it wouldn't be believable if she just starting shacking up with Gendry. I do think that Arya will probably end up with someone lowborn, but is it going to be the first lowborn male she ever had a real relationship with? I hope not.

In her inner monologue Arya repeatedly compares Gendry to Jon Snow, who she's extremely close to and sees as a brother. Taking it as possible foreshadowing is one thing (and definitely more wishful thinking than logical, but eh shippers gonna ship I guess?) but seeing it as any kind of confession in the present is just inserting subtext where it isn't there and missing the point.

It speaks to Arya's naivety about the class structure of her society even after everything she's been through that she's able to say something like "I can be your family" to a lowborn bastard. She's a noble, so it's easier for her to see things so simply. Gendry's lived a different life, though, and he has to be the one to remind her that that's just not how it works.

I also believe it had a double meaning. First, like other posters, that it was a class distinction between Gendry and Arya. The second, in my opinion, speaks more to the seperation of Arya by having anyone close to her. Throughout the books we saw Arya deal with a lot more issues such as killing, murder etc then we have seen in the show (totally my opinion). I've been somewhat dissapointed because on the show I didn't know how they would show the transition to her future. However, by pointedly showing her seperation from Hot Pie and Gendry it is demonstrating how she has no one close to her and she can retain no one she can trust.... she essentially is becoming no one ;).

That's my two cents... I could be totally wrong but that is what I got from the scene.

Okay so I realized I used the word opinion too much... sorry.

I agree Batman. I watched the scene again and again and now I see what everyone else has stated. His response of "I will call you M'Lady" is pointing out to the fact that she is noble and him a bastard and therefore at this point in the story, he can not see them being family.

I do hope... that they do end up together though, sick - right?

If that makes you sick then half the forum has the same affliction. Both actors will be in their 20's by the time it will happen, depending on how they handle things. I remain hopeful.

Maybe in the show they need to emphasise their difference in status otherwise Gendry fans will be mad about him abandoning Arya and hate him, and they are obviously building his role up from what it was in the books.

But what about the scene back at Herenhal where it looks like foreshadowing when Gendry had his shirt off practicing with the sword and Arya was eying him up an down? I think they are hinting at something.

Good lord....not this foolishness again. So every woman you find attractive it's destined you'll marry her right? Or guy if you're a chick. I'm sorry but that's hella weak. Straw grasping is common among arya/gendry shippers. They got nothing but weak "proof," if you can even call it that. The only thoughts she has about Gendry after they part are that he left her. Not one mention of that scene ever afterwards. Enough.

In her inner monologue Arya repeatedly compares Gendry to Jon Snow, who she's extremely close to and sees as a brother. Taking it as possible foreshadowing is one thing (and definitely more wishful thinking than logical, but eh shippers gonna ship I guess?) but seeing it as any kind of confession in the present is just inserting subtext where it isn't there and missing the point.

It speaks to Arya's naivety about the class structure of her society even after everything she's been through that she's able to say something like "I can be your family" to a lowborn bastard. She's a noble, so it's easier for her to see things so simply. Gendry's lived a different life, though, and he has to be the one to remind her that that's just not how it works.

I'm going to need textual proof of this.

I think the wording itself was set up to avoid the love interpretation of the line. If they went for that, or even for actual ambiguity, Arya would have said "I can be your sister" instead. It makes no sense for Gendry to turn down "family" by proposing a romantic relationship, at all. Such a relationship would pretty much imply them becoming family.

Especially from the delivery, it's obvious that he only meant that no friendship could survive once she returns to her real family. She would become a princess and heir presumptive to the North then, while he becomes just a bastard blacksmith.

The line was certainly chosen to have a possible double meaning to the viewer. This is true even if Gendry only meant it in its explicit context of the social class difference between the two. They could have framed the line in a way that would have been much less loaded, but they didn't.

In the book there is one particular scene that clearly has romantic undertones. The scene in the show conveyed the same essential dynamic between the two characters; there is a potential something between the characters, but at this stage, neither of them are willing to acknowledge that, especially Arya who is really too young to pick up on such things in the books.

I agree. I remember this ambiguity in the book, particularly in one scene. It's just a hint, as it is in the show.

Archived