(NO SPOILERS) Positive Nitpicking - what you loved about this episode.

shiola

This thread is for discussing what you loved about the episode, from the largest plot point to the smallest facial expression or background detail. No complaining in this thread, please.

Book/TV spoilers are fine inside spoiler tags ONLY. If you do not know how to make one, it's simple. Here is an example:

[.spoiler]Darth Vader is Luke's father[/.spoiler] without the periods becomes

Darth Vader is Luke's father

I want everyone to be able to enjoy this thread, so please make sure anything that could remotely be considered a spoiler or hint is inside tags. If you aren't sure, tag it anyway.

I look forward to seeing what little details everyone picks up on!

I loved the fight

Roose was a badass. His voice. ... "your sister" ... His look after jaimie falls down. The authority.

Qyburn's eyes popping out showing his pleasure in performing "bold" actions.

Arya's "I can be your family" ... can watch this scene over and over again ... She can use her eyes so well.

Cat's look when Karstrak talks about "it's treason to free your prisoner" ... was it guilt?

Edmure looked more formidable.

Stannis saying "nope" to Shireen. So funny.

Jaimie/Brienne scene was perfect.

I liked it how lovingly Davos looked at Shireen.

When Greyworm says he would keep his name because he had when Daenerys freed her , her reaction was perfectly subtle.

Another epic Tywin dressing down ... "you'll wed her , bed her and put a child in her" ... :)))Last but not least , The credit ... eerily pleasant

Much like the past two episodes I just want to put "everything" but whatever, I'll be less lazy than usual

Quick list of the little things I absolutely loved:

The BoB - Everything about the trial by combat was incredible, the acting, choreography, score, everything. Probably the best battle in the series, god damn.

Loved Arya's reaction to the outcome, and her murderlist finally coming back into the show. Also asking if you can bring back someone without a head, awwww.

Karstark - Ah, shit, dude. Didn't expect them to actually SHOW the kids getting killed. That was brutal, especially that they thought it was a rescue at first.

The Blackfish with a fuckin' RIGHT HOOK for Karstark hell yeah. They also left in the ice cold "Hang him last so he can watch the others die" thing, woop woop. That's a great line.

Jaime/Brienne - Roose being a troll was fantastic, and Qyburn is very promisingly creepy. His experiments were too "bold", euughh. I like his weird little high-pitched voice.

The bath scene was basically perfect, couldn't have been done any better except maybe including the "Kingsguard keeps the King's secrets" line.

Stannis - Poor little Shireen was absolutely adorable, and immediately likeable. I liked her rapport with Davos a lot. "What will they do, lock us in the cells?" :lol:

One of the dead boys being named Edric, "Aegon - it sounds like Egg", and Shireen singing Patchface songs were cool little nods to the books. I wonder if they're just meaningless little songs or if she's taking over his role, as it were.

Dany - The "Storytime with Shireen about Aegon the Conqueror" to Dany transition was great, and they worked in some nice background details through Jorah and Barry's conversation. Also more dickwaving and sniping between those two, ahahaha.

Whoo, Grey Worm.

Not too crazy about the King's Landing stuff this episode, but Natalie Dormer. Always Natalie Dormer. Also the Tyrion/Cersei/Tywin ending scene was just fantastic.

Shireen singing over the credits. :cool4:

Loved the entire episode but two things really made my cold heart melt:

Arya: "I can be your family" and "What about a man with no head?" goddamnit, Arya, stop kicking my feels in the gonads

Shireen was just so sweet but she also has that melancholy lonely side to her to. She's pretty much exactly the way I imagined her, reading the books.

And one scene gave me chills:

Robb beheading Karstark. Not as powerful as Theon and Cassel last season but pretty damn close.

This is more of a general pos-nitpick but I love all the little nods to book readers this season.

Cersei and the nose comment.

The meereenese knot.

Edric

Aegon, it sounds like Egg. etc.

Arya's "I can be your family" to Gendry was way touching. Almost as touching as Sansa's smile when Margaery talks about the plan to wed her to Loras in the previous episode. I'm unsure whether this show is turning me into a giant softie, or is just making me find out.

Arya's scene again was one that had me wiping my eyes. Her goodbye to Hot Pie was unexpectedly sad and sweet, and her scenes this episode as well. Maise can really run the gamut of emotions. Her "GO TO HELL!" was absolutely believable and full of blind rage. Her disappointment and feeling betrayed by Gendry was evident without needing as many words, and the dialogue between them was beautiful.

I love her prayer and I'm so glad they showed it.

My praising Nikolaj is a given at this point, but I do it anyway. He's far and away my favorite actor in this series. He brings Jaime to life more than any other actor does their character and he covers all of the complexities of Jaime that people don't want to see. I explain properly without sounding like a babbling fangirl and just going through the thesaurus for all entries regarding "phenomenal"...

Karstark - Ah, shit, dude. Didn't expect them to actually SHOW the kids getting killed. That was brutal, especially that they thought it was a rescue at first.

The Blackfish with a fuckin' RIGHT HOOK for Karstark hell yeah. They also left in the ice cold "Hang him last so he can watch the others die" thing, woop woop. That's a great line.

YESSSS. That scene was so intense and brutal. I didn't think they'd show it either. I'm glad they did though because it had so much more of an impact for me than in the books. "Hang him last" gave me chills-- just like Brienne in season 2 "Two quick deaths, one slow death."

Blackfish SLAPPING that bitch up. I did NOT expect that. He's so cool.

Really liking Thoros. He's not exactly as he is in the books, but I find him more entertaining and very well acted. A shame he's not a more major character in the show. I always thought the whole "I was a terrible priest but now I'm actually a good one" was more in line with a religious zealot, like Aeron, but it definitely plays better on TV this way.

Three minor things that stood out for me:

1-One of the Baratheon stillborns was called Edric

2-Shireen singing Patchface's song

3-Grey Wind watching Karstark's beheading from far back, almost unnoticeable

Three minor things that stood out for me:

1-One of the Baratheon stillborns was called Edric

2-Shireen singing Patchface's song

3-Grey Wind watching Karstark's beheading from far back, almost unnoticeable

I didn't see Grey Wind! That's awesome

Like everyone else, the bath scene in general.

Here's a few things I want to hit on that maybe won't get mentioned much or that people might have missed:

1. The use of the soundtrack throughout the episode. Really nicely done, especially the bath scene which was without music until the "burn them all" bit, at which point it very quietly built in such a way that you didn't even notice it was there at first. That's how you subtly enhance a scene.

2. The scene cut from Shireen telling Davos about Aegon the Conqueror to Daenerys' unsullied army. Brilliant segue from one invading Targaryen army to another, with some more well-placed music.

3. Cersei, in a tone of voice I don't think we've ever seen her use, saying "Father, don't make me do it again, please" which (like I said in the quotes thread) reminds the viewer that, as much as she's a miserable human being, we certainly don't envy her life. It's easy to think of Cersei as just a scheming bitch, and this one line reminds us that there's a very broken person under there. I love humanizing moments for Cersei.\

4. The figs. Because, HAH.

5. That look Beric gives Sandor at the beginning of the fight is pricless.

Stannis's choked up confession to Selyse. He just wants to connect with his wife, and all there is to connect to is a raving lunatic. He's never seemed lonelier. But then Shireen remains his one bright spot, the one source of complete, simple love and affection in his life. He loves her back with all his heart----"She's my daughter!" he snarls at the thought of being kept from her----he just doesn't really know how to express it.

I never gave Shireen much thought in the novels but the actress that plays her on the show really moved me. I can't really explain why. Although she actually seemed happier in the show, somehow this made me more sad for her. I really felt like Dragonstone was not the place for this precious little girl to belong in. The particularly touching moment between her and Davos also made me really feel for Davos' character in a way I didn't feel when reading. Such a good but subtle scene!

.3. Cersei, in a tone of voice I don't think we've ever seen her use, saying "Father, don't make me do it again, please" which (like I said in the quotes thread) reminds the viewer that, as much as she's a miserable human being, we certainly don't envy her life. It's easy to think of Cersei as just a scheming bitch, and this one line reminds us that there's a very broken person under there. I love humanizing moments for Cersei.\

I love moments that make you rethink a character. GRRM is a master of writing humanity in all it's various shades and he certainly has made Cersei a very complicated woman. I hope the show lasts long enough for the "Walk of Shame".

Archived