Outlander (Tv show)

AncalagonTheBlack

Just discovered this and so far I like it. There are some things that make no sense like how they just pick up a woman half dressed in the woods and put her in the castle and dress her and give her jewellery and asume she's not just a peasant...

Jaime is way too good and ahead of his time for my taste.It's just not beliavable. I prefer Dougal,so far I like him best. I was sure he would suggest Claire to marry him,he does have crush on her... well...Though...the way they ended up married was text book fanfiction thrope. Since Jaime is Mary Sue it kind of makes sense :lol: But even with all this its' still more enjoyable than not and I want to see more.

Yeah, it reminded me of fanfiction, too:

Claire: "How cruel can you be?! Making me marry you-"

Dougal: "No, it's even worse than that. You're going to have to marry a criminal!"

Claire: "Nooooo-"

Dougal: "Jamie."

Claire: "Huh? Jamie?"

Dougal: "Yes, that'll fix you good!"

Claire: "You mean that really, really sexy, extraordinarily kind, super honorable hunk?"

Dougal: "Uh, um...yes. Yes, he's a wanted man with few prospects!"

Claire: "Yes, a wanted man who speaks french and has a highborn education and is living under an assumed name and will probably end up pretty rich by the end of the story, right?"

Dougal: "Hmm, maybe I didn't think my cunning plan through..."

Claire: "Er, no, you're right. What a travesty! I can't believe you would force me to marry such a terrible criminal! ...when does the honeymoon start?"

Yeah, it reminded me of fanfiction, too:

Claire: "How cruel can you be?! Making me marry you-"

Dougal: "No, it's even worse than that. You're going to have to marry a criminal!"

Claire: "Nooooo-"

Dougal: "Jamie."

Claire: "Huh? Jamie?"

Dougal: "Yes, that'll fix you good!"

Claire: "You mean that really, really sexy, extraordinarily kind, super honorable hunk?"

Dougal: "Uh, um...yes. Yes, he's a wanted man with few prospects!"

Claire: "Yes, a wanted man who speaks french and has a highborn education and is living under an assumed name and will probably end up pretty rich by the end of the story, right?"

Dougal: "Hmm, maybe I didn't think my cunning plan through..."

Claire: "Er, no, you're right. What a travesty! I can't believe you would force me to marry such a terrible criminal! ...when does the honeymoon start?"

Lol

Must not spoil...

I don't get why everyone is saying Black Jack was laughable in the last episode.. He even says that it wasn't the horror of his actions that was the "masterpiece" (I admit it was a poor choice of words there)... It was the absolute truth of the situation that he and Jamie were taking part in. I really enjoyed the episode until the last ten or so minutes. (Basically from the kicking on, poor timing here in America when domestic violence is a higher trending topic than another possible ground war in the Middle East.)

I don't get why everyone is saying Black Jack was laughable in the last episode.. He even says that it wasn't the horror of his actions that was the "masterpiece" (I admit it was a poor choice of words there)... It was the absolute truth of the situation that he and Jamie were taking part in. I really enjoyed the episode until the last ten or so minutes. (Basically from the kicking on, poor timing here in America when domestic violence is a higher trending topic than another possible ground war in the Middle East.)

I thought it was laughable because the man is pure evil. He has absolutely no redeeming qualities whatsoever. That makes him a caricature, not a character. Just like Jamie is a caricature of the noble, good-looking good guy without one bad quality, BJR is the exact opposite. Both of them lack nuance...a 'realness' to their characters.

That's my issue with it.

Having not read the books, I suppose I see that more easily in Jaime because that was the first episode that featured BJR and Jamie's chivalry has been front and center for a while.

Well, BJR was in the first episode for a few minutes, as well...just long enough to decide to rape Claire, of course.

I thought it was laughable because the man is pure evil. He has absolutely no redeeming qualities whatsoever. That makes him a caricature, not a character. Just like Jamie is a caricature of the noble, good-looking good guy without one bad quality, BJR is the exact opposite. Both of them lack nuance...a 'realness' to their characters.That's my issue with it.

Well Jack has his cheekbones and Jaime hasbad back....

I can't but agree on that part as well.

She knows what it felt like to open up her big mouth with the Scots, and how many times does she get to be accused of being an English spy? Guess what was going to happen if you did that with the English?

She's supposed to be smart. If you're smart you know when to keep your trap shut.

Another thing about the episode before last, that I saw mentioned on a different thread: Claire and the goat.

In the village where there's no food, Dougal gives food from their wagon so they can all eat. It means he cares for his people.

If Claire actually wanted to accomplish the goat-village to get that goat back, she could have just gone to Dougal instead of making a spectacle of herself, dragging that animal's line back and forth. I get she was angry at Angus' behaviour, but if she's smart she might have found a better way than what she tried to do.

Also, was that the village's last goat? What would taking the last goat with them accomplish? The people would be too poor to buy another one, and they can't breed either because there's none left.

You -- not thinking like a tax collector! Or even a landlord. There's always MORE out there -- more ways to tax and more helpless, desperate tenants to take the place of the ones starved to death, murdered, etc.

:agree:

Yup, Jamie's back makes him look so unattractive XD

They made them so one dimensional you can't even play devil's advocate :)

On topic...

I don't think Claire's action with Jack were out of character. I think it made sense in a way. To me it looked like she was desperately trying to find one speck of deacency in him cause she can't help but see her husband when she looks at his face and it must hurt like hell to see the face you love and want to return to so badly saying shit like that. She knows it's not the same man but she was kind of hoping there is something there, she really wanted to believe it.

They made them so one dimensional you can't even play devil's advocate :)

On topic...

I don't think Claire's action with Jack were out of character. I think it made sense in a way. To me it looked like she was desperately trying to find one speck of deacency in him cause she can't help but see her husband when she looks at his face and it must hurt like hell to see the face you love and want to return to so badly saying shit like that. She knows it's not the same man but she was kind of hoping there is something there, she really wanted to believe it.

Well, I tried to, but on topic... I completely agree about Claire. Eventhough it was too desperate, it was still the only chance she had.

Satisfied sigh -- despite those who thought it was boring and nothing happened, though these nay-sayers do seem to be mostly male. Was it the female eros perspective they considered pointless in "The Wedding"? The contrast between the two weddings was brilliantly done -- in my opinion. Anyway, I can't worry about adultery and bigamy in terms of the show because Claire does that worrying for me, which is part of the interest I find in it. Nor do I feel personally any need to be for or against Frank or for or against Jamie. Claire's suffering from many perils and dislocations. That she's handling things so well shows how she could be loved beautifully in two different ways by two different men, and that she can love two husbands too, in different ways. My problem is that I don't understand why so many find this troublesome and judge Claire as a slut or something. Really, a person cannot live the same way in two different eras two centuries apart!

Though I would not have wanted to wear that dress, not really, though it was gorgeous, and Claire was beautiful in it. It was much more pristine, though, than the one the book version found for Claire, iirc.

Perhaps my personally favorite part of the Outlander tale, Claire and Jamie, on the Fraser homeland and with Fraser family will be provided before the hiatus? If so, those who complain about Jamie being too perfect, should find some surcease. :)

My only issue with this episode was the structure of it. The constant flitting back and forth in time felt very odd. Twee, almost, as it was basically various cute anecdotes of things leading up to the wedding. It felt like something you'd see on How I Met Your Mother -- which isn't a terrible thing, but tonally it felt wrong. But Linda's just read the book and she informs me it's a bit true to Gabaldon -- she'll interrupt the narrative with long, embedded narratives describing events that Jaime took part in that Claire didn't witness or what have you -- but it felt to me like it didn't really work well for television.

My only issue with this episode was the structure of it. The constant flitting back and forth in time felt very odd. Twee, almost, as it was basically various cute anecdotes of things leading up to the wedding. It felt like something you'd see on How I Met Your Mother -- which isn't a terrible thing, but tonally it felt wrong. But Linda's just read the book and she informs me it's a bit true to Gabaldon -- she'll interrupt the narrative with long, embedded narratives describing events that Jaime took part in that Claire didn't witness or what have you -- but it felt to me like it didn't really work well for television.

I liked the episode but agree that the structure of it was a bit choppy. I think they could have employed the use of flashback while still keeping the story relatively lineare.

For example, I liked that they started with Claire's wedding to Frank, however, instead of just cutting away to show the ending of her wedding with Jamie, they could have shown the entire ceremony. Then they could have shown the flashback of how they got to the wedding and ended the last quarter of the episode in the 1743 present.

Going back to the episode's content I liked how they showed Jamie's eagerness the first time, it showed his inexperience. Claire's encounter with Dougal was also very interesting showing that tension between them and Dougal's obvious attraction to her. Some of the dialogue was a bit cheesy but overall it worked well.

Just finished watching it. I agree with those who say the structure was strange and off-putting at times. I think it would have benefitted from showing the wedding first, then the wedding night, then intercutting the flashbacks leading up to the wedding. It was a bit cheesy that they took off all of their clothes in super...slow...motion. And I have to admit, I don't get why they have some ban against showing genitalia...the camera angle was always perfectly angled to keep from it. I mean, the entire episode is them having sex a bunch of times, what is the problem with showing the parts that are actually involved?

Really, though, I wish there had been more plot movement. Is next week the half-season finale?

Outlander’s Ronald D. Moore and Others Break Down Claire and Jamie’s Big Wedding Night

'Outlander' Wedding: All the Details on Mr. and Mrs. Fraser's Attire, Plus See the Sketch of Claire's Dress

I can understand people not being happy with the structure of the episode, but as explained in the first article, it was the best option, as everything otherwise would just be one boring day and night.

It was a good ep. :)

Bottle episodes -- single location, sometimes just two or three characters -- are done all the time. "Fly" from Breaking Bad, for example -- just two guys cleaning a meth lab, becoming obsessed with a fly, revealing something about themselves and elaborating on how they interact with one another. In Treatment was basically two people sitting in a room for half an hour.

I think I would have preferred the episode if it had been more of just them talking with one another. Learning some of his family history rather than having it all skimmed over, seeing her wheedle out more of the information about the various things going on around the wedding, and so on -- I'd have been fine with that, if well-written. Don't need constant scene changes to stay entertained.

Archived