Outlander (Tv show)

AncalagonTheBlack

I think ... I don't mind voice overs ... generally.

One wonders if the writers who began with the first seasons of Sex and The City had read Outlander. Outlander was a huge best seller, and quite a few of our under-forty gay friends read it and loved it. They passed it around to each much the way my straight female friends did.

The first SatC season aired in 1998, and the idea and production started long before that. OTOH, the Bushnell column was read by all of them too, including my friends gay and straight, and me.

Sorry, I thought the book was much shorter (least it felt that way). Paperback has over 600 pages. I kinda forgot where book 1 ends and 2 begins.

Still, the Clair only viewpoint makes it tougher to have action all the time. Hopefully next episode they will move past Dr Quinn Medicine Woman.

I am looking at the paperback book object and it's 850 pages.

But you're right -- it reads very fast -- part of why it was a best seller maybe? (Not that all best sellers are fast reads by any means though.) But it is a page turner, despite having a lot of passages that could so easily have been cut without the readers losing a thing, as repetitious as they are.

Well, it's not supposed to be Breaking Bad or Got or any of these recent television programs that feature violence for the sake of violence. It's not that kind of action show. There's a great deal of action that is interior, within the development of the characters' relationships, as complicated by time travel and different cultures. Claire, as a WWII field triage nurse has seen all the action she's ever going to want to see. But she's seeing it still, in all sorts of forms, in this time, and thinking about what it means, culturally and personally to the people she's getting to know and care for.

That this isn't about whack-a-mole is why I, for one like it.

I think ... I don't mind voice overs ... generally.

One wonders if the writers who began with the first seasons of Sex and The City had read Outlander. Outlander was a huge best seller, and quite a few of our under-forty gay friends read it and loved it. They passed it around to each much the way my straight female friends did.

The first SatC season aired in 1998, and the idea and production started long before that. OTOH, the Bushnell column was read by all of them too, including my friends gay and straight, and me.

I think the voice over in SatC work because she's a writer and keeps a journal. Didn't they show her almost every episode typing away in thought?

Only watched a handful of episodes...

Yes -- Carrie Bradshaw is a stand-in for Candace Bushnell, the New York Observer columnist back in the day, who made big waves among certain circles. A very NYC series. Most of the episodes of the first 2 - 3 seasons were shot all around where I live, which didn't make anyone around there very friendly to the series in those days.

So its slowly getting harder and harder to not click on the spoiler tags in this thread... I really love to read but at the same time its been a long time since I've watched a show I like this much not knowing whats going to happen next. So everyone that has read the series, what would you do in my position?

So its slowly getting harder and harder to not click on the spoiler tags in this thread... I really love to read but at the same time its been a long time since I've watched a show I like this much not knowing whats going to happen next. So everyone that has read the series, what would you do in my position?

I guess that would depend on how close they stay to the source material. If they go wildly in a different direction, it's not going to matter.

Most of the spoilers posted up to this point are pretty mild or easily deduced. So you should be pretty safe for now.

Don 't read the spoilers would be my attitude, if you haven't read the book. The reason for saying this is that you'll be looking for deviations, etc., instead of submerging yourself in the story that's being presented. :cheers: Then, if you liked the series all the way through, read the novel some months later.

I am the sort for whom spoilers don't matter, but I think generally I'm in a minority on that.

Don 't read the spoilers would be my attitude, if you haven't read the book. The reason for saying this is that you'll be looking for deviations, etc., instead of submerging yourself in the story that's being presented. :cheers: Then, if you liked the series all the way through, read the novel some months later.

I am the sort for whom spoilers don't matter, but I think generally

I'm in a minority on that.

Me either. Of course I'm one of those that can listen to a favorite song over and over.

Terry Dresbach (Ron Moore's wife, who made him adapt outlander) works as a costume designer on the show and she keeps a blog about it. It's quite an interesting read, even for someone who doesn't know much about costuming (like me). For fans of that stuff, I definitely recommend taking a look at it.

Even if I was in the target audience for this show, I suspect my hatred of everything scots (and irish, and to a lesser extent english) would alienate me. Good save Stadtholder Willem!

The costume designer's blog is interesting.

Particularly, for me, in the context of all those magazines and sewing patterns packed in my great-grandmothers' and grandmothers' basements from that WWII and immediate post WWII era -- and the family photo albums. I spent hours and hours during every visit to their houses, poring over these magazines and the photo albums -- and so many others too. Not to mention the collections of greeting cards. Also, demanding, "Tell me about when you were a little girl!"

Me either. Of course I'm one of those that can listen to a favorite song over and over.

Oh yeah, I listen to the same album weeks at a time....but new books, tv, and movies I like to keep fresh.

Edit- I wikied GOT after the first episode and still regret either not reading anything or just starting the books then.

Read the books after the show ends is how I'm going to approach these things from now on. Stop watching if the show isn't good, then when the show ends, read the books if I'm still interested.

That's the plan I'm going with, but if you guys could let me know if I should change at a certain point.. I'd certainly appreciate that very much. :cool4:

Even if I was in the target audience for this show, I suspect my hatred of everything scots (and irish, and to a lesser extent english) would alienate me. Good save Stadtholder Willem!

Long live the republic! No need for those dirty moneygrabbing Orange-Nassau's at all.

The costume designer's blog is interesting.

Particularly, for me, in the context of all those magazines and sewing patterns packed in my great-grandmothers' and grandmothers' basements from that WWII and immediate post WWII era -- and the family photo albums. I spent hours and hours during every visit to their houses, poring over these magazines and the photo albums -- and so many others too. Not to mention the collections of greeting cards. Also, demanding, "Tell me about when you were a little girl!"

My great grandmother died when I was 3, and her mother (the one that actually came from Scotland) died in childbirth.. So I used to drive my grandma and great aunt crazy with those type of questions..haha

I learned so much about history and culture without knowing I was learning these things! I prize these aspects of my childhood dearly.

It's good to hear you had a grandmother and great aunt to whom you could address these questions too.

Another subject -- above a poster said, " ... even if i were the intended audience ...."

Can / would / will someone describe the audience s/he/they think the intended audience is?

I'm not being snarky, let me haste to declare. I'm just nosy curious as to how closely I would adhere to the idea of who the intended audience is.

I learned so much about history and culture without knowing I was learning these things! I prize these aspects of my childhood dearly.

It's good to hear you had a grandmother and great aunt to whom you could address these questions too.

Another subject -- above a poster said, " ... even if i were the intended audience ...."

Can / would / will someone describe the audience s/he/they think the intended audience is?

I'm not being snarky, let me haste to declare. I'm just nosy curious as to how closely I would adhere to the idea of who the intended audience is.

It was, and its good to know I'm not the only one who is a snoop when it comes to my familial heritage.

Archived