Maekar's daugters/ Egg's sisters

PrimeRhaegar

I serached through so many threads of house Targaryen and yet to have found anything. Sorry if a thread like this already exists, but can someone tell me plz what happened to them. I know both wanted egg, but he stupidly married for love, the same stupid mistakes his sons made, but what happened to the daughters/sisters.

Are they the reason why there are so many threads that one could have married into the stark line or did they die maidens and childless like many other targaryen princesses.

They did not die maidens and childless. When Maester Aemon is at death's door, he wonders "Will I talk with Egg again, find Dareon whole and happy, hear my sisters singing to their children?" [emphasis mine]

But whether the children survived and have descendants of their own is to the best of my knowledge unknown. I'm not even certain whether we know for sure that they didn't marry Egg - Targs were in love with their siblings all the time, so marrying for love seems to say little.

They did not die maidens and childless. When Maester Aemon is at death's door, he wonders "Will I talk with Egg again, find Dareon whole and happy, hear my sisters singing to their children?" [emphasis mine]

But whether the children survived and have descendants of their own is to the best of my knowledge unknown. I'm not even certain whether we know for sure that they didn't marry Egg - Targs were in love with their siblings all the time, so marrying for love seems to say little.

So if he's going to find them in the same place as his brothers (the nice ones anyway), his sister's children are dead, and it sounds like they died while still young.

It seems odd though that he'd mention his sisters' kids as separate from Egg, if they were also Egg's kids (with one sister, anyway).

... Uh, I'm not saying that he did, thanks. I was responding to someone who suggested it was possible by pointing out that what they were quoting made it seem unlikely.

Sorry misunderstood, I like that Aemon left out Aerion, guess he figures he went the other direction. :)

Who did Aegon marry? From what I'm aware, there aren't many clues, except that he followed his heart and married for love. I also seem to remember that this was somehow detrimental to his reign. Could Maekar's daughters have married other lords and their line just faded into other houses (like Rhaelle with the Baratheons, or Daenerys with the Martells)? Or perhaps their children married within the family or died childless themselves? Isn't it odd though? At Aegon V's time the Targaryens had so many heirs they didn't know what to do with them, and then the line suddenly dwindled into nothing, just like that.

... Uh, I'm not saying that he did, thanks. I was responding to someone who suggested it was possible by pointing out that what they were quoting made it seem unlikely.

Yes, I definitely agree that it's not very likely. It bothers me though that it's sometimes outruled completely (not as much as when the same is done for Egg's son Jaehaerys though - here as far as I know we really have no indication that "for love" means "outside the family"), so it did want to mention that the possibility is at least there.

Who did Aegon marry? From what I'm aware, there aren't many clues, except that he followed his heart and married for love. I also seem to remember that this was somehow detrimental to his reign. Could Maekar's daughters have married other lords and their line just faded into other houses (like Rhaelle with the Baratheons, or Daenerys with the Martells)? Or perhaps their children married within the family or died childless themselves? Isn't it odd though? At Aegon V's time the Targaryens had so many heirs they didn't know what to do with them, and then the line suddenly dwindled into nothing, just like that.

Like the unidentified daughters of Daemon Blackfyre, the lack of clarity here also leads to speculation. I doubt Maekar I would have married his daughters to lessor lords. And I think we would have read if they had married into any of the great houses. They were only two generations before the Mad King. So I think it's more likely they married into noble houses abroad. Maybe their descendants were the more suitable wives Aeyrs II sent Lord Steffon Baratheon to find. Since Steffon was not successful, I'm guessing there were none.

There is a theory out there that they married into the Stark and Arryn families. In GoT Robert said that Ned should have taken the throne, then Ned said that Robert had the better claim. Which means Ned did have a claim to the throne through blood.

One of the sisters of Egg are the only real likely canidates. If it was true then Robert would have the better claim by being a grandson of a Targ. Ned would be a great grandson of a Targ.

Looking through the Targ family tree, I would think if Dany died, Aegon is proven false, Stannis, Shireen and Robert Arryn die, then the next in line to the throne through that family tree is Bran.

With Jon being legitimized then he would come before Bran and would be heir to the throne strickly through his Stark line. Regardless if R+L=J is true or not, either way he comes out as rightful heir.

I imagine that we will find this stuff out when TWoIaF comes out in October. I hope so at least. I think I remember hearing it has a lot of Targ family history.

There is a theory out there that they married into the Stark and Arryn families. In GoT Robert said that Ned should have taken the throne, then Ned said that Robert had the better claim. Which means Ned did have a claim to the throne through blood.

One of the sisters of Egg are the only real likely canidates. If it was true then Robert would have the better claim by being a grandson of a Targ. Ned would be a great grandson of a Targ.

Looking through the Targ family tree, I would think if Dany died, Aegon is proven false, Stannis, Shireen and Robert Arryn die, then the next in line to the throne through that family tree is Bran.

With Jon being legitimized then he would come before Bran and would be heir to the throne strickly through his Stark line. Regardless if R+L=J is true or not, either way he comes out as rightful heir.

Ned's "claim" comes from having been the first to crash into the throne room of the red keep. There's no hint that the Starks ever had marriages with Targaryens - they were isolationists before Rickard and the one time a Targ queen came to the north in person it was considered an event that people still talk about 100s of years later.

Chances are that they died to the sickness that took most of his family (as said what had happened Hedge Knight and Sworn Sword in Sworn Sword.)

But then who fathered the children Aemon wondered whether he'd meet after he died?

Ned's "claim" comes from having been the first to crash into the throne room of the red keep. There's no hint that the Starks ever had marriages with Targaryens - they were isolationists before Rickard and the one time a Targ queen came to the north in person it was considered an event that people still talk about 100s of years later.

There is def. no proof of this but it is a theory. Neither Ned's mother or Grandmother is listed in the book or on the wiki. (and typically their former ladies would be discussed throughout the years to but we only have the Stark POV's for northern characters.) It is possible, not stating it as fact.

I agree. The Starks can't stop thinking about the blood of the first men. If there was a drop of dragon blood in there, as with the Martells & Baratheons, I think we'd know by now.

Still the Stark Targ theory is interesting and Bran's vision of the tall dude with Young Nan provides circumstancial evidence.

Having a Stark / Targ union prior to Jon would seriously reduce the significance / uniqueness of who he is. The predominant theory about the 'tall dude' with Nan is that it's Dunk, not a Targ...

Having a Stark / Targ union prior to Jon would seriously reduce the significance / uniqueness of who he is. The predominant theory about the 'tall dude' with Nan is that it's Dunk, not a Targ...

It would give him that "second drop" of Targ blood like Ben Plumm had. Assuming R+L=J. Maybe thats the key to dragons liking you? Tyrion said he knew why the dragons took to him and he said that right after he mentioned his "second drop".

Archived