[Book Spoilers] Chekov's Chain

It wouldn't surprise if, as someone already suggested, Tywin is Shae's murderer, and that's why Tyrion commits patricide. From the way they've sanitized Dinklage's character thus far, who couldn't see this one coming?

Oh no, I really hope that's not it. I have a sinking feeling that they will do that.

I think Tyrion will kill Shae but only after they turned her into a villian. Most likely the one who delivered Sansa to LF (they pretty clear showed what he is by now), after she made sure Sansa wore the poison for Joffrey so Tyrion could be blamed.

I doubt they cut the murder of Shae out but it will still be a big change. D&D not simply cutting out the impacts of the characters from the books they simply twist them until they fit in their vision of how the characters should be for their show.

Tyrion will look like the hero who kills the monster, Shae, in righteous wrath. Because she sold his wife, he just long to protect, to the evil show villian No 1 after Joffrey is dead. Prepare yourself, it will be whitewashing on a whole new level

Haha I know this is really pedantic, but Chekhov is the writer whose name means roughly 'Czech'.

Chekov is the guy from Star Trek! His name translates as 'Cheque/Check'. Potentially a big difference!

Hahaha, okay. Now that I see the difference I understand you pointing it out.

I WILL TEAR MY HAIR OUT IF TYWIN KILLS SHAE AND TYRION IS THE DOOMED HERO THAT KILLS FOR REVENGE

Get ready then, because I feel it coming.

They've made Shae way too nice for Dinklage to kill, even if she were to go batshit revenge crazy from now on it would only be because she loves him and has been rejected, it can never be the same malevolent gold digger who was playing him all along Shae that he killed in the book, him killing Shae now, in the series, would be much worse and darker than the books...and that is not the Tyrion story they're telling in the show.

No doubt in my mind that that will be the chain she's wearing in the bedroom scene and that Joffrey's crossbow will also be present

I was really hoping in this episode that Tywin would confiscate Joffrey's crossbow. I was all ready for him to do it when he approached the throne, but alas,

Also, SORRY I FORGOT THE H IN CHEKHOV EVERYONE.

Get ready then, because I feel it coming.

They've made Shae way too nice for Dinklage to kill, even if she were to go batshit revenge crazy from now on it would only be because she loves him and has been rejected, it can never be the same malevolent gold digger who was playing him all along Shae that he killed in the book, him killing Shae now, in the series, would be much worse and darker than the books...and that is not the Tyrion story they're telling in the show.

I disagree with you (maybe because I hope you're wrong about this) and I think it would be awesome if HBO translated the Tywin/Tyrion final confrontation from book to screen EXACTLY how it is.

I would include the following line from Dinklage to Dance: "Father, about that whore I found in your bed? Not to worry, I've already hanged her." TWANG!

As somebody who watched Season 1 before reading the books, I can identify with the strictly show fans. I remember watching Ned's beheading and thinking "Wait, no they can't possibly kill...HOLY SHIT! What just happened?!"

Talk to many fans of the show who have never read the books, and you'll find that many of them consider Tyrion to be their favorite character. Therefore, I can picture that same "HOLY SHIT" moment when their beloved Tyrion strangles a defenseless woman with a gold chain. Because Tyrion has basically been the story's main protagonist after Ned's demise and because Shae is being portrayed as more lover than whore to him, I think the strictly show fans will be in for a massive shock.

Tyrion gives Shae a 'loaded' golden chain, am I right? Will she resort to Tywin's company because she feels spurned, as opposed to basically just being a rotten person like in the books?

I would include the following line from Dinklage to Dance: "Father, about that whore I found in your bed? Not to worry, I've already hanged her." TWANG!

Ehm.... there is the serious chance, in the books, that Tywinn and Shae DIDN't share bed. There is the serious chance, in the books, that Varys plotted and executed the division and ruin of the Lannister family. That Tywinn was blocked in his batroom by the same venom they talk about for the whole book, and that Shae is somehow drugged. Her getting up somehow stunned is quite more compatible with a drugged situation than with a happy half an hour with the old man: some people also go saying that Tywinn punishes sexually the women, and the women who have a sexual life in particular, because he is impotent.

This line of thinking is NOT compatible with Tyrion mentioning Shae in the bed while talking with his father.

But hey, this is the tv show, it is a completely different story, and it could even end up with Tyrion evade his cell breaking the metallic bars with his bare hands, and then using the broken bars as weapons to assault the red fortress, kill all of the white guard and Tywinn, even Jeoffrey who was recovering from the drunken state he got in during his marriage, then saves the girl and runs with her to Essos, on the ship he commandeered from Lannisters that cannot resist his leadership and charisma. It is known.

Ehm.... there is the serious chance, in the books, that Tywinn and Shae DIDN't share bed. There is the serious chance, in the books, that Varys plotted and executed the division and ruin of the Lannister family. That Tywinn was blocked in his batroom by the same venom they talk about for the whole book, and that Shae is somehow drugged. Her getting up somehow stunned is quite more compatible with a drugged situation than with a happy half an hour with the old man: some people also go saying that Tywinn punishes sexually the women, and the women who have a sexual life in particular, because he is impotent.

This line of thinking is NOT compatible with Tyrion mentioning Shae in the bed while talking with his father.

So Varys knew when Jaime would come to him, than that Tyrion would go up there at this very moment (I don't doubt Varys had a plan to free Tyrion and bring him across the sea, hint: he had a ship ready) and Tywin spent an hour on the privy?

We discussed this in the nitpick thread, and we came out with 3 possible ways of how this will play out:

1. Tywin kills Shae, and then Tyrion kills him for that.

2. Tyrion kills Shae. But first she'll become a villian, a jealous bitch, and she'll betray Tyrion. So, it'll look like she perfectly had it coming.

3. They will have Sansa kill Shae thus furthering the hate for her that they are building up to.

We discussed this in the nitpick thread, and we came out with 3 possible ways of how this will play out:

1. Tywin kills Shae, and then Tyrion kills him for that.

2. Tyrion kills Shae. But first she'll become a villian, a jealous bitch, and she'll betray Tyrion. So, it'll look like she perfectly had it coming.

3. They will have Sansa kill Shae thus furthering the hate for her that they are building up to.

Hah. I wouldn't put no. 3 past them. Maybe they know something we don't. Will Sansa become the major antagonist of the late game? ;)

Like Martin reminds them that there is a not so good side in Tyrion they seem to forget

Correction, that they want to forget not to make the 'show's main hero' (*barfs*) look bad and conserve the viewers who watch because they all think he's such a great guy (which he is not) ...

Tyrion should kill Shae, everything else would be absolute bullshit.

Tyrion gets drunk, makes snarky comments, and bangs whores. If that's your definition of a "great guy," we should hang out :)

To me he's more of a "Doc Holliday/Jack Sparrow" character; extremely colorful, fatally flawed, and that's why everyone loves the character.

Yep, pretty clear that in the absence of a hand's chain of office being the thing around Shae's neck, this is the chain by which Shae will meet her end.

Bloody hell I wish Tyrion had at least admited to Bronn that the thought of bedding Sansa gets him hard.

He pretty much did.

"I don't need you putting evil thoughts into my head. The ones already there don't need company"

As for the Chain i feel it was a total Chekhovs Gun. Hopefully Tyrion will still do some whore slaying.

I'm still interested in seeing what all they will do to drive the wedge between them though. At this point it's going to have to be pretty big for Tyrion to strangle her.

And while I don't see Tywin being the one to kill Shae (that'd be awful), what I can totally picture (though I would be very sad) is this.

Tyrion: Where's Shae?

Tywin: Wherever whores go.

Certainly hoping that doesn't happen =(

Everyone is voicing some valid concerns about how this twist will be executed. With both Tyrion's and Shae's characters having been made more sympathetic for TV viewers, it will be difficult for them to set up.

One thing that gives me hope that they will keep fairly close to how it happens in the book is that they are still dropping little references to Tyrion's first marriage. I think there have been at least two or three this season - which is a lot, considering.

Archived