Greatest Warrior in ASOIAF Westeros and Essos?

Out of the ones alive right now I would say(I do not include Sandor or Jon since we do not know if they are alive):

1. Garlan Tyrell

2. Greatjon Umber

3. Barristan Selmy

4. Balon Swann

5. Areo Hotah

Honorable mention goes to Bronze Yohn and Mance Rayder.

Let's not forget Bronn here. Aside from him I'd say Barristan, Jaime (2h) and Sandor.

Many of the examples in this thread are either anecdotal or pure speculation. Let's not forget that one basic principle behind GRRM's narrative applies here as well - only that which happens live in a POV can be assumed to be true.

• 1 month later...

Former Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, Lord Commander of the Queensguard, the Kingbreaker, the Queen's Hand, The Discarded, the Old the Bold Ser Grandfather Barristan Selmy!

Selmy defeated Maelys Blackfyre in single combat, slew Ser Hollard and rescued King Aerys the II, defeated Ser Toyne and his Kingswood Brotherhood,led the attack on Pyke and in his mid 60s is still capable of unhorsing high level jousters and winning tourneys.

Th best example of his abilities is Dance of Dragons Chapter 67 where he confidently arrests Hizdarh:

Khrazz laughed. “Old man. I will eat your heart.”

The two men were of a height, but Khrazz was two stone heavier and forty years younger, with pale skin, dead eyes, and a crest of bristly red-black hair that ran from his brow to the base of his neck.

“Then come,” said Barristan the Bold. Khrazz came.

For the first time all day, Selmy felt certain. This is what I was made for, he thought. The dance, the sweet steel song, a sword in my hand and a foe before me.

The best fighter in the entire world must be some unnamed Unsullied. No one in Westeros trained as hard as they did. Of all the named characters, perhaps Grey Worm is the best of them all. Of course some people have a natural talent for it, but the Unsullied are not just fighters, they are almost killing machines. So yeah, I think the average Unsullied would beat the shit out of any Westerosi fighter.

They're soldiers, not warriors.They're great at keeping formation, fighting as a unit, etc., but I can't imagine they'd be particularly formidable alone.

Unsullied are trained to fight as groups, not individuals.

Knights as Jaime or Arthur Dayne are taller, use superior weapons, have plate armor and are trained horsemen.

Best of all time? The Dragonknight!

Best alive? I guess Jon Snow. Mance was the best swordsman of the NW and he slew countless wildlings to become King beyond the wall, so he is much more expierenced then Jon, but with Longclaw its a different story. Jon is the only expert swordman wielding a valyrian blade right now.

seriously jon snow expert swordsman ur makin me laugh. the boy cant hold a candle to barristan jorah and many unnamed swordsmen

• 2 months later...

I think the Hound ( assuming he is still alive). Bronze Yohn would also be in the top 10 warriors in Westeros alive IMO ( obviously open to argument)

The greatest warrior of all time in my books would be Bob ( you're free to hate

me for it).

Robert Baratheon. He is the only person I have heard of to use the awesome warhammer. He wore full plate armor. He defeated Rhaegar Targaryen, another great warrior, while wounded. He won the throne with his hammer and without three dragons. In his prime, this is a king Jaime couldn't slay.

I believe that the OP is talking about warriors currently alive.

Archived