The Best Casting and Worst Casting (in your opinion).

Conor

Ugh.. the Emilia Clarke hate is SO annoying. Daenerys is an epic character. Anyone who denies this is an absolute fool. Emilia Clarke is fabulous. She's so authentic. Honestly, she's portrayed Daenerys's journey so flawlessly. I don't get the criticism she's receiving from fans regarding her work in S4. Her character's arc sort of stalls for a while in that she's tries to maintain her hold on Mereen and struggles to do so. I loved watching Dany this season. Let's face it - ruling a city is boring. It's not supposed to be war/secrets/action/intrigue like we see in Kings Landing.. Dany's figuring it out (although it didn't last long before problems started arising for her). People can continue hating. Emilia, along with her Emmy nomination for Daenerys, remains unphased.

For the most part, casting has been spot on. Sean Bean as Ned Stark was absolutely indescribably perfect. Lena Heady as Cersei is just phenomenal. Peter Dinklage as Tyrion - could not be more perfect. All the Stark children - perfect. Catelyn - Michelle Fairley blew me away. Jack as Joffrey - outstanding. Pedro as Oberyn was insanely perfect. Charles as Tywin - flawless. Honestly, the casting has no flaws.

Most of the casting is perfect, apart from the established actors Joffrey, Jaqen and Arya stand out.

The worst castings are Mance and Stannis, and because of that IMHO the wall storyline suffers.

Also not satisfied with Daario, if the part is important they should have gotten it right from the beginning.

The ones I haven't liked so far. It's a small list. Gold's office have a remarkable record in my opinion.

Didn't like the Titan's Bastard or the Mountain mk II. Wasn't keen on the first Dario as well, or Ramsay.

Ugh.. the Emilia Clarke hate is SO annoying. Daenerys is an epic character. Anyone who denies this is an absolute fool. Emilia Clarke is fabulous. She's so authentic. Honestly, she's portrayed Daenerys's journey so flawlessly. I don't get the criticism she's receiving from fans regarding her work in S4. Her character's arc sort of stalls for a while in that she's tries to maintain her hold on Mereen and struggles to do so. I loved watching Dany this season. Let's face it - ruling a city is boring. It's not supposed to be war/secrets/action/intrigue like we see in Kings Landing.. Dany's figuring it out (although it didn't last long before problems started arising for her). People can continue hating. Emilia, along with her Emmy nomination for Daenerys, remains unphased.

Really? Are you saying Emilia's bad acting is because of her storyline?

I think Emilia Clarke is OK as Daenerys - not one of the outstanding performances IMO, but not disappointing and there are some moments that she has completely nailed. I agree Dany is an epic character, but maybe because of trying to emphasise this in the series she comes over as fairly two-dimensional, whereas the books give her more depth (inevitable perhaps, but of all the major characters she is the one who suffers most from this).

Really? Are you saying Emilia's bad acting is because of her storyline?

Where in my post did I say Emilia's acting is bad? Can you read? I praised her - she's fab IMO.

I think people are hating on Emilia because her characters storyline has become less compelling whilst she's in Mereen. She's no longer a character who is at an extreme disadvantage and thus people aren't finding a need to root for her. She was somewhat of an underdog in previous seasons and she has settled for now. Emilia's done an impeccable job at portraying Dany's journey. That's my stance on Emilia. Her acting is fantastic.

Where in my post did I say Emilia's acting is bad? Can you read? I praised her - she's fab IMO.

I think people are hating on Emilia because her characters storyline has become less compelling whilst she's in Mereen. She's no longer a character who is at an extreme disadvantage and thus people aren't finding a need to root for her. She was somewhat of an underdog in previous seasons and she has settled for now. Emilia's done an impeccable job at portraying Dany's journey. That's my stance on Emilia. Her acting is fantastic.

Can you interpret or read? Where in my post did I say that you said Emilia's acting is bad? I was criticizing your praise saying we're blaming her acting while it's the storyline we're hating, which is not true.

I like the guy who is playing Roose and think he is doing a very good job (lose the beard though).

However, whenever I read Roose in the books, Mark Gatiss who plays Mycroft on Sherlock is who

comes to mind. He has the right "soft" voice and creepy little smile for Roose. He's cast as a Braavosi

banker now. Oh, well.....

Side note: ive saw a lot of people dislike Emilia Clarkes performances, but to be fair at times she acts beside cgi dragons, which can be real hard and hell that scene where she locks Rhaegal and Viserion away was really well done... Quite emotional.

This wasn't her best season, I would perhaps say its her worst (she wasn't that bad as an actress in Season 2 really. The storyline was just botched) However, her scenes in the Children were perhaps my favourite of the episode (and not just because I didn't enjoy the res of the episode. She did very well here)

I think Emilia Clarke is OK as Daenerys - not one of the outstanding performances IMO, but not disappointing and there are some moments that she has completely nailed. I agree Dany is an epic character, but maybe because of trying to emphasise this in the series she comes over as fairly two-dimensional, whereas the books give her more depth (inevitable perhaps, but of all the major characters she is the one who suffers most from this).

Her Astapor scene and the finale of Fire and Blood are among her standouts. This season certainly wasn't her best work, though as mentioned above, she still managed some rather wonderful scenes

I've posted here before with a short list, but having watched all the seasons again recently (no tv reception so watching dvd-s LOL), I have to add Jacob Anderson as Grey Worm to the list of the best cast actors. He steals every scene he is in.

On a negative note, I'm surprised by all the adulation Jack Gleeson gets as Joffrey. Yeah, we love to hate Joffrey but it's not due to Jack's acting ability but because the character is so heinous. Jack's acting makes me cringe because it's so over the top and melodramatic.

Another negative note, while I usually admire Peter Dinklage, his performance at the trial completely missed the mark for me, mainly because of the way he delivered his lines in his monologue at the conclusion of the trial.

I've posted here before with a short list, but having watched all the seasons again recently (no tv reception so watching dvd-s LOL), I have to add Jacob Anderson as Grey Worm to the list of the best cast actors. He steals every scene he is in.

On a negative note, I'm surprised by all the adulation Jack Gleeson gets as Joffrey. Yeah, we love to hate Joffrey but it's not due to Jack's acting ability but because the character is so heinous. Jack's acting makes me cringe because it's so over the top and melodramatic.

Another negative note, while I usually admire Peter Dinklage, his performance at the trial completely missed the mark for me, mainly because of the way he delivered his lines in his monologue at the conclusion of the trial.

I don't agree about Jack Gleeson's acting. He wasn't OTT or melodramatic at all, he was completely natural and convincing as a spoiled brat with too much power. Instead of being muhaha I'm villain, he came off as a real person you could (if you're unlucky) encounter in real life - some rich spoiled brat who acts horribly and abuses the power they have thanks to who their parents are (even though they usually don't have as much power as Joffrey does). I think this is exactly why people loved to hate him so much, even more than in the book.

If you want to see OTT and melodramatic villainy, look at Yuri Kokolnikov as Styr. *cringe* Aidan Gillen also often goes into this territory.

This wasn't her best season, I would perhaps say its her worst (she wasn't that bad as an actress in Season 2 really. The storyline was just botched) However, her scenes in the Children were perhaps my favourite of the episode (and not just because I didn't enjoy the res of the episode. She did very well here)

Her Astapor scene and the finale of Fire and Blood are among her standouts. This season certainly wasn't her best work, though as mentioned above, she still managed some rather wonderful scenes

Yeah I have to agree.

Season 1 = Emilia's Best Acting Season (The Dothraki Tour Bus)

Season 2 = Emilia's Depressing Season (Stuck in Qarth)

Season 3 = Emilia's Most Powerful Season (Road Trip of Slaver's Bay)

Season 4 = Emilia's Worst Acting Season (Stuck in Meereen)

Season 5 = Emilia you better do justice (It would be a spoiler)

Yeah I have to agree.

Season 1 = Emilia's Best Acting Season (The Dothraki Tour Bus)

Season 2 = Emilia's Depressing Season (Stuck in Qarth)

Season 3 = Emilia's Most Powerful Season (Road Trip of Slaver's Bay)

Season 4 = Emilia's Worst Acting Season (Stuck in Meereen)

Season 5 = Emilia you better do justice (It would be a spoiler)

Season 2 I felt sorry for Emilia. I mean, I am usually not too bad with my criticism of the show....but that Qarth writing was awful.

Spoilers galore for likely Season 5 stuff

I hope they do Daznak's Pit justice, it is one of my favourite chapters. CGI would probably be pretty expensive though....

Season 2 I felt sorry for Emilia. I mean, I am usually not too bad with my criticism of the show....but that Qarth writing was awful.

I hope they do Daznak's Pit justice, it is one of my favourite chapters. CGI would probably be pretty expensive though.

What I find strange tho is D&D seem to praise Daenerys over Stannis, but yet Stannis's scenes have much better writing than Daenerys. I have never hated her character it's just that there was no much for Emilia to work with in Season 4 and that's one of the reasons why she struggled. The only real emotion she showed was when she locked up her dragons, otherwise it was the same facial expression. She is not the greatest actress on the show, but usually she delivers during her standout scenes.

Yeah I have to agree, I hope they do Daznak's Pit justice as well because that will be one of Dany's standout scenes. Also I feel like that's when more people will start liking Dany because she actually does something we haven't seen before. I just hope that her story arc gets more interesting in Winds of Winter though because besides the last 2 chapters in A Dance with Dragons, her overall storyline was very boring. George already confirmed that Dany and Tyrion are both going "home", which means they will meet at some point in Winds of Winter.

Yeah, the writing has generally been top-notch, both in terms of adapting book material and creating original stuff. But Dany's season 2 was an unmistakeable low point, imo.

The only real emotion she showed was when she locked up her dragons, otherwise it was the same facial expression.

Actually, my favourite Emilia Clarke moment was when the catapults flew the barrels at Meereen ! The look of extatic blood-lust half-mad on her face was gold imo !

Especially with the "horn" music playing there !

Arya (+Hound), Joffrey, and Davos are just insane, so awesome. Most major characters are great but some don't look like the original characters at all. Minor characters are generally hit and miss, with some really cool castings like Syrio or Jaqen.

Worst...hm...probably Renly, Mountain 2 and 3 (1 was good), everyone in Qarth (could just be bad writing though), Tommen. Can't think of more.

Also to paraphrase the Hound, what the fuck's a Yara?

I don't agree about Jack Gleeson's acting. He wasn't OTT or melodramatic at all, he was completely natural and convincing as a spoiled brat with too much power. Instead of being muhaha I'm villain, he came off as a real person you could (if you're unlucky) encounter in real life - some rich spoiled brat who acts horribly and abuses the power they have thanks to who their parents are (even though they usually don't have as much power as Joffrey does). I think this is exactly why people loved to hate him so much, even more than in the book.

If you want to see OTT and melodramatic villainy, look at Yuri Kokolnikov as Styr. *cringe* Aidan Gillen also often goes into this territory.

It is utterly bizarre to me that someone would see Jack's acting as "natural and convincing". His acting style is straight out of daytime soaps.

I actually think Aiden, Yuri and Jack reach the same heights on the scale of cringeworthy acting, yet you praise the last while criticising the other two. Weird.

Archived