The Best Casting and Worst Casting (in your opinion).

Conor

Best:

Pedro Pascal

Peter Dinklage

Alfie Allen

Stephen Dillane

Charles Dance

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau

Lena Heady

Jack Gleeson

Sean Bean

Sophie Turner

Maisie Williams

Worst:

Sibel Kekilli

I totally agree. I'll just add a few more that I like and dislike.

Best:

Conleth Hill

Michelle Fairley

Liam Cunnigham

Michael McElhatton

Rory McCann

Worst:

Season 2-4 Aidan Gillen

Season 3-4 Isaac Hempstead-Wright

Season 1-3 Kit Harrington

Emilia Clarke

Ed Skrein

I see a lot of you have put Kit in worst. I know it's your opinion but i really don't see how he is 'bad'. I think he proved in season 4 that he can be good given reasonable material.

I can't stand Aiden Gillen anymore. And unfortunately Isaac has gotten worse in recent seasons.

I see a lot of you have put Kit in worst. I know it's your opinion but i really don't see how he is 'bad'. I think he proved in season 4 that he can be good given reasonable material.

I can't stand Aiden Gillen anymore. And unfortunately Isaac has gotten worse in recent seasons.

Kit can work really well when he has good lines. He was really good in season 4.

What's actually wrong with Isaac. Oh he's got a bit older, how terrible and unbelievable, but seriously his acting is no different.

Well to be fair the thread is about casting not acting. Isaac is a fine actor and a talent considering his age (think of how great he was in season 1). But the suspension of belief is somewhat sacrificed when this character who is meant to be a small child is a very tall, strong featured, old looking teenager, just as the casting of an obese Cersei might have the same effect. Its not anyone's fault though and the aging of characters was always going to be a flaw in an adaption of such a large series with many characters young and old (Peter Vaughun plays a very important role for next season but he is in his 90s, so there is always apprehension)

What's actually wrong with Isaac. Oh he's got a bit older, how terrible and unbelievable, but seriously his acting is no different.

He's acting is different. I'm not sure if its just because his voice is breaking at the moment and its effecting his acting or that my expectations are higher now that he has grown a bit but i don't think he is on par with other child actors in the show.

I don't think Bran's character is particularly affected by being a few years older. I mean he's still obviously young and he's about to turn into a tree. Turning into a tree works at any age for me. And he doesn't compare with the other child actors because he doesn't have the same depth of material. And he's younger than them. Ah well.

Well to be fair the thread is about casting not acting. Isaac is a fine actor and a talent considering his age (think of how great he was in season 1). But the suspension of belief is somewhat sacrificed when this character who is meant to be a small child is a very tall, strong featured, old looking teenager, just as the casting of an obese Cersei might have the same effect. Its not anyone's fault though and the aging of characters was always going to be a flaw in an adaption of such a large series with many characters young and old (Peter Vaughun plays a very important role for next season but he is in his 90s, so there is always apprehension)

Not really. Bran's storyline at the moment has nothing to do with his age. He could be 20 and it would still be the same story. He's a cripple with incredible mystical and magical powers who is going North to learn more about them, while the rest of Westeros thinks he's dead. None of that requires him to be a small child.

And he's not supposed to be a small child on the show anyway, he was 10 at the start of the series, which means he has to be at least12.

Oh and BTW, Indira Varma, who was called "exotic" above, is not from "further afield", she's from UK, so Carice should be far more "exotic" than she is.

Are you serious? Indira's dad is Indian and mum is Swiss. The fact that she was born in the UK doesn't make her a WASP. Reading over your posts on this "exotic" argument reminds me how political correctness has gone too far and simply stating facts has been twisted into racism. I'd be curious about where you live and whether people who descend from a race not typical of the area stand out to you when you walk down the street. Anyone who says that different people don't catch their eye is an outright liar. It is not racist to acknowledge difference. It is racist to discriminate against people who are of a different race.

Are you serious? Indira's dad is Indian and mum is Swiss. The fact that she was born in the UK doesn't make her a WASP. Reading over your posts on this "exotic" argument reminds me how political correctness has gone too far and simply stating facts has been twisted into racism. I'd be curious about where you live and whether people who descend from a race not typical of the area stand out to you when you walk down the street. Anyone who says that different people don't catch their eye is an outright liar. It is not racist to acknowledge difference. It is racist to discriminate against people who are of a different race.

Um, we're not talking about who's "WASP", we're talking about who's "exotic" and what the fuck the word is supposed to even mean. To someone who is from India, Carice would definitely be more "exotic" than Indira. What's up with the WASP-centric views, anyway?

And the original argument was that Carice's accent, among other things, was not "exotic" enough. Accent is not determined by the color of your skin. How would that make Indira more "exotic" to a British person, or an American, if you're looking at it with Brit-centric or US-centric POV? Indira has a British accent in real life. Carice has a Dutch accent. So what are you talking about?

The discussion was clearly about more than accents. I can see exactly where you were going with playing dumb about the meaning of the word "exotic". Your posts are a worry and you seem to have serious issues with comprehension.

No, you got things mixed up. I am not playing "dumb" as to what "exotic" means, I think that the word "exotic" and this particular usage of it* is dumb, annoying, dumb, offensive, and did I mention dumb? It is dumb, dumb, dumb. If something is a "worry", then it's the posts of you and the others who insist on your idiotic Western Europe+USA-centric or "WASP-centric" view of the world (using your own definition on what's the default for humanity!) which is also incredibly dumb. Here, I hope I made you comprehend it all now, since you seemed to have serious issues with comprehension.

* Do you need it spelled out? Here, I'll do it for you. The poster complained that Carice is not "exotic" enough to be Melisandre - even though she is not British, American, or Anglo-Saxon/WASP, she is from another country, and she has a clearly foreign accent. So how is she not "exotic" enough, if we use it to mean notably different/foreign compared to a bunch of mostly British actors with British accents? Well, obviously, it may be because she's white, because one needs to have a darker skin, apparently, to be exotic (?) - never mind that this doesn't make sense considering the book description where she's certainly never described as having skin darker than anyone else, and most notable things about her are her red hair and red eyes - and, definitely, because a Dutch accent apparently is not "exotic" enough from the perspective of a British or American person, which is an odd assertion, until you consider the idea that the whole of the northern-western Europe and USA is this 'default" setting that is not "exotic", according to some arbitrary judgment; while everyone else, like the Asians, Africans, South Asians, Hispanic people, as well as Mediterranean people and those those crazy Eastern Europeans, belong to the "others", the "exotic", outside of the "civilized" world of people of Germanic origin (and maybe the French and the Irish/Welsh/Scottish, I suppose). What could possibly be wrong with that?

Even though I agree with Annara that the term "exotic" is silly and outdated, I wouldn't say it (or the idea behind it) is used by "WASPs" only : People in non-white parts of the world will find white people, or people with a different skin color/ethnicity "exotic". Without the colonialist/racist background, that is.

Archived