The Best Casting and Worst Casting (in your opinion).

Conor

Michelle is not the beauty Cat is supposed to be, and she's quite older than her. Sean Bean looked exactly like Ned was supposed to look, while Michelle looked like a 50 year old Cat.

But it's kind of pointless. She was brilliant as her. The same happens with Lena as Cersei.

I think Michelle is a beautiful woman. It's just a matter of opinion. As for the age, it would have bee pretty ridiculous to cast a 30something year old actress to play the mother of actors in their twenties.

• 2 weeks later...

Just yesterday I've been thinking about what a great job the producers did with the cast.

There so many characters, that were just nailed by the actors!

Best, in my opinion, are:

Cersei, Ned, Tyrion, Tywin, Jon, Catelyn, Jaime, Doran (yet to come), Oberyn, Varys, Littlefinger...

I am just a bit dissapointed in Theon (he's great as Reek, but not as the so self confident Theon),

Sansa (I pictuered her way more beautiful, Sophie Turner is pretty, but not beautiful above average in my opinion)

Arya (just in the beginning I had my problems because she doesn't fit the long-face-description of her character,

but its fine in the end, Mazy plays it really great)

Joffrey (in the books he is described as being very handsome, but I just can't find that in the actor (sorry), but

he also embodied his character really well, so we could all come to hate him with all our heart :) )

Yeah, and the resemblence between Natalie and Diana when she was young blew my mind, too...

Best:

The men who play Tyrion and Tywin. Especially the latter is super charismatic and not as easy to hate as I'd want to. I was also very fond of Catelyn. I think all the Starks have done a great job. (Jon is boring, but so is his character). I'm also in love with ser Barristan. He's just the kind of man I thought he'd be.

Worst:

I might just be the only person with this opinion, but I never liked Joffrey. The guy was overacting in every scene and somehow gets praised for it. Melisandre is another person that gets on my nerves. She's supposed to be mysterious and sexual, yet on TV she looks like a librarian in a cheap Halloween costume.

The grey:

Margarey looks too old. I love the actress per se but the scenes with her and Joffrey were quite awkward because of the age difference. Not to mention seeing her next to Tommen.

Cersei is too bitchy. She's charming and feminine in the books, yet on the show she's rudeness personified.

Dany is more macho than Xena Warrior Princess and I used to hate the actress for giving us the same face every week. I thought she simply couldn't act until I saw her interviews and realised how bubbly she is in real life. So it seems they intentionally wanted Dany to be a female macho.

Pedro Pascal as Oberyn is great casting. With the casting and writing of the character, I really prefer show-Oberyn to book-Oberyn.

Other good casting choices are Maisie Williams as Arya, Alfie Allen as Theon, Natalie Dormer as Marg, and Charles Dance as Tywin.

As far as casting I dislike, I'm not a fan of the choice for Edmure Tully.
Oh, and I'm growing to dislike the acting for LF more and more as a result of that weird growly voice that he's been doing in later seasons.

Best:

The men who play Tyrion and Tywin. Especially the latter is super charismatic and not as easy to hate as I'd want to. I was also very fond of Catelyn. I think all the Starks have done a great job. (Jon is boring, but so is his character). I'm also in love with ser Barristan. He's just the kind of man I thought he'd be.

Worst:

I might just be the only person with this opinion, but I never liked Joffrey. The guy was overacting in every scene and somehow gets praised for it. Melisandre is another person that gets on my nerves. She's supposed to be mysterious and sexual, yet on TV she looks like a librarian in a cheap Halloween costume.

The grey:

Margarey looks too old. I love the actress per se but the scenes with her and Joffrey were quite awkward because of the age difference. Not to mention seeing her next to Tommen.

Cersei is too bitchy. She's charming and feminine in the books, yet on the show she's rudeness personified.

Dany is more macho than Xena Warrior Princess and I used to hate the actress for giving us the same face every week. I thought she simply couldn't act until I saw her interviews and realised how bubbly she is in real life. So it seems they intentionally wanted Dany to be a female macho.

You think Emelia Clarke is macho? That's really interesting. Subjectively speaking, I've always found her quite beautiful and very feminine.

everybody's too old in the show but honestly everybody's too young in the books anyway so...

I tend to agree. It's a hard one, because I know GRRM's fantasy world is largely based on/inspired by medieval times. But at the same time, I don't think, say, a 30 year old mother of 5 or a 15 year old revolutionary really resonate as much with your average viewer as characters of ages that more closely mirror our own experiences.

O in my generation Rigg was a favorite , many males had a crush on her.

Was not surprised to find out that before and after The Avengers she was and continued to a sought after Shakespearean actress.

Or should have said Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire Diana Rigg.

(Alas one of many fine actresses who never had a decent film career.)

Maisie as Arya is incredible. The murderous look on her face when she killed Polliver and the other guy made me shiver.

And Kit as Jon... I am biased because I saw the show first and then read the books with Kit already in mind. But I think the stuff he is given he plays well, and the problems you guys have come mostly from the fact that Jon has been dumbed down a lot from bok to show.

Not to forget Rose Leslie. After reading the books one might argue the actress is too beautiful for the character, but that is a general direction of the show and I am fine with it. It is simply awesome how she had the panties on in every single scene, even as Jon's captive. Very well played.

What some of the people are calling "bad casting" and their perfectionism is ridiculous! I read the first two books before watching the TV show and have since read the other 3 books so granted I am not quite as "hardcore" as the folk who were fans of the books long before the TV show.

Through general knowledge and newspapers etc I had seen Peter Dinklage, Kit Harington and Emilia Clarke in the media before reading the books so always found myself picturing them when reading the books despite some differences (e.g Peter being more attractive and Emilia not having purple eyes but that's not a big deal really). When I watched the show admittedly I was surprised at Catelyn and Ned being older than I expected and as a result also Jaime, Cersei and Robert but when their children were aged up as well this makes sense.

Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I disagree so much with all of the people criticising Lena Headey's portrayal of Cersei. Out of the main characters I would say she is defiantly the best actress and I think AFFC seemed to cloud some people's perception of Cersei. The majority of the crazy is in her head - she would have never gotten to stay in power so long if she was ranting at everyone like a looney in ACOK plus I don't think she went off the deep end until Joffrey died and she started getting flashbacks to the prophecy. I think aging up Jaime and Cersei worked in terms of when Cersei does her Walk of Shame she is very conscious of not being as firm as she used to be which/and Jaime feels like he hasn't achieved anything significant or done anything honourable to write of - which would be ridiculous if a 30 year olds was worried about that! And beauty (and hotness) is in the eye of the beholder - I think Lena is really hot (ok more-so as a brunette) whereas Charlize Theron who folk keep going about does nothing for me!)

I don't Kit is as terrible as folk are making out - he is sort of middle road for me. His character does't really have majorly dramatic moments to showcase his talent or lack of it. That's just the way his story is. Emilia I thought was really good in season 1 but in the last 3 seasons has been a bit meh - her storyline has been a bit dull since Drogo though. How she got nominated ahead of Michelle Fairley, Lena and Maisie Williams for season 2 or 3 is laughable.

Sibil Kekilli is so bad her scenes were painful to watch. The combination of the really annoying accent (I have nothing against a "foreign" accent - Carice Van Houten and Tom Wlaschiha managed it perfectly well), her lack of being able to act any emotion without going totally over the top and THAT line - shaethefunnywhore - urgh! I am glad she is gone!

Peter Dinklage is great - funny, charismatic etc but again like Emilia not quite sure how he gets all the plaudits. I would say the other 3 Lannisters (NCW, Lena and Charles Dance who was totally awesome) while they don't get all the one liners, were all better actors than him and some of his delivery is a wee bit "off". The speech in the trial was totally overacted and some of his lines "Still makes me more clever than you" seemed too rehearsed rather than the character just thought of them though this could be the fake accent thing. (Weird critique I know)

I have really enjoyed all the Stark kids (kids on TV are usually pretty bad!) even Rickon is good. Maisie and Sophie Turner are pretty much as I pictured them (I never cared whether or not Arya had a horsey face whatever that is or not). Jason Momoa and Harry Lloyd nailed their characters sadly for only the one season.

Gwendoline Christie is PERFECT for Brienne! She is exactly how I pictured her and is really likeable - similar thoughts about Liam Cunningham and John Bradley (Davos & Sam)

Most of the minor characters are near enough perfect if not 100% for looks but their acting as well: Conleth Hill (Varys), Jerome Flynn (Bronn), Joe Dempsie (Gendry), Donald Sumpter (Luwin) and Julian Glover (Pycelle)

Aiden Gillen was a near enough perfect Littlefinger in Season 1. (apart from blurting out all his motives but that was a writing thing rather than him) but then Baelish seemed to develop foreign accent syndrome between seasons and has forgotten how he spoke. It's so offputting he might as well have a big sign saying Sneaky Guy above his head! Pedro Pascal (Oberyn) makes his character better than the books - he is just so likeable!

The only major "miscasts":

Natalie Dormer - I really like her as Marg but she is too old - closer to Cersei's age than Joffrey's for a start! It makes the whole Tommen thing a bit weird (ok it is in the books as well)

Ciaran Hinds for reasons folk have already stated

Both Daarios - I don't like him in the book but he should be a lot more cocky and flamboyant

Gethin Anthony - bit too stereotypical and not as charismatic as I expected. Admittedly though I didn't remember Renly much in the books (such as being there when the wolves were killed etc) until after I had watched the show. Loras is actually ok - he was always in my mind what teenage girls would find attractive - a pretty boy, clean groomed etc rather than what grown women would like

Richard Dormer - Beric - nothing like I imagined and too old though a lot of the adult characters have been aged up

Archived