MLB 2013 II - I Shin-soo Choose You!

Lightning Lord

You know, this is something that's been really great about baseball in the past few years - the constant influx of new powerhouse teams (at least in terms of division winners). There have been precious few "dynasty" clubs in the last decade or so. A team will go on a run for a few years, and then drop out and re-load. There have been (if my count is correct) seventeen different division winners in the last five years. In that time, ten of those teams won more than one division crown, but only two (NYY and PHI) won more than two. Even the Cubs had a taste of glory in that time. It just seems that one's team might be down and out for a season or three, but then they pop right up again, ready to contend*. That's encouraging for those of us in down years.

*Offer void in Houston, Queens, Kansas City, San Diego, and Canada.

Ffs. The Indians. How are they good? They've started Ubaldo Jiminez nine times, and yet they sit atop the AL Central.

What happened to them - they were a complete joke last season! Almost as much as my team...

*sits in front of a fire with three Kirk Gibson bobbleheads*

*tosses the first into the fire*

"To the bastard, Y. Dub."

*tosses the second*

"To the bastard, MercenaryChef."

*tosses the third.*

"To the bastard, Myshkin."

"Like."

Good ole Lance looks to have the stuff tonight.

*tosses the second*

*tosses the third.*

Ok, I take back what I said about St. Louis fans.* This was a gem.

*For now, douchebag.

*tosses the second*

*tosses the third.*

As if we didn't have enough problems already. This was just mean.

No matter your personal or team struggles at least you can say you are not a Twins fan. Lost 10 in a row now with Mauer having to bust up a no-no in the 9th in the last one. At least I should have lots of time to grill, mow lawn, work outside, drink beer, etc. instead of watching this dreadful team.

No matter your personal or team struggles at least you can say you are not a Twins fan. Lost 10 in a row now with Mauer having to bust up a no-no in the 9th in the last one. At least I should have lots of time to grill, mow lawn, work outside, drink beer, etc. instead of watching this dreadful team.

Ten game streak over!

New, shiny one-game winning streak!

Looking ahead at the Twins schedule, it gets easier. So hopefully we can put this sad stretch behind us and pick up some wins. But, looking ahead, I noticed that ESPN now has available tickets for future games listed, as well as pitching matchups, location, etc. For two games at Miami, they have "782 tickets available." I think there are probably a couple more than 800 seats left for that game.

By the way, this is totally random, but it only just hit me the other day that the Atlanta Braves are the only team in the American south. And that seems kind of crazy when you compare it to the other big sports. Does anyone know if there's a story to this?

In the NFL you have the Atlanta Falcons but also the Carolina Panthers, the Tennessee Titans, and the New Orleans Saints in the region. In the NBA you have the Charlotte Bobcats (soon to be Hornets) the New Orleans Hornets (soon to be Pelicans) and the Memphis Grizzlies in addition to the Atlanta Hawks.

But in MLB there is no team in North Carolina, no team in Louisiana, and no team in Tennessee. That makes it seem strange that baseball, with all of its years of history, would have just one team in the region. Must be good for Atlanta's TV ratings though, neh?

That's a good question and one I've wondered about as well. I don't believe baseball is any less popular in the South than in other parts of the country, judging from how much success and fan support the college teams enjoy. And, both the Braves and Cardinals have huge followings (generally speaking, draw a line at the MS/AL border straight up through TN and it's Braves country east, Cardinals country west). Perhaps that's one reason - entrenched support for other established teams.

Also MLB teams tend to locate in larger markets than either the NBA or NFL. I did Google searches on the market sizes for each league, and it looks like the MLB only has one metro market with a population of less than 2 million (Milwaukee) while the NBA and NFL each have five teams in markets that small or smaller. I suppose the trend of locating in larger markets has to do with the fickleness of in-person fan support for baseball, where even teams living in huge markets rarely sell out.

Archived