Question about the character Rowan

Madhur Singh

My question pertains to page 678 in Dance with Dragons when Rowan chastises Theon for uttering the words of House Stark. I was under the impression that wildlings did not have much love for the North and the spearwives were being forced into this by Melisandre. Why would he care if Theon said the words of House Stark? Is Rowan a northerner and not a wildling?

Who is this Rowan? I don't recall.

One of the wildlings with Mance/Abel.

@OP no one knows really. Some people think that its just because what Theon is supposed to have done is so bad that everyone sort of feels the severity of his betrayal, whereas others think that there is some sort of grudging (or even just mutual) respect between the Starks and Wildlings. And yeah the fact that she is a spearwife is sort of a giveaway that Rowan is a she.

One of the wildlings with Mance/Abel.

@OP no one knows really. Some people think that its just because what Theon is supposed to have done is so bad that everyone sort of feels the severity of his betrayal, whereas others think that there is some sort of grudging (or even just mutual) respect between the Starks and Wildlings. And yeah the fact that she is a spearwife is sort of a giveaway that Rowan is a she.

^This. Think about Osha and well she guarded the young princes.

My question pertains to page 678 in Dance with Dragons when Rowan chastises Theon for uttering the words of House Stark. I was under the impression that wildlings did not have much love for the North and the spearwives were being forced into this by Melisandre. Why would he care if Theon said the words of House Stark? Is Rowan a northerner and not a wildling?

Another factor might be that she has been spending time talking to various northmen who have expressed their contempt for Theon in no uncertian terms and that its starting to rub off on her.

• 1 year later...

I also found that odd. Not only that a wildling would know a House words, but using them to chastising someone. The Starks fought wildlings, I can see no good reason for her to respond the way she did. It didn't seem like an act, she seemed just as protective of the Starks as the Mormont girl and Manderly's granddaughter. Didn't one of the Umbers daughters get carried off by a wildling years before? Crackpot: maybe this is her? That would parallel nicely with the story of Bael/Abel too.

I also found that odd. Not only that a wildling would know a House words, but using them to chastising someone. The Starks fought wildlings, I can see no good reason for her to respond the way she did. It didn't seem like an act, she seemed just as protective of the Starks as the Mormont girl and Manderly's granddaughter. Didn't one of the Umbers daughters get carried off by a wildling years before? Crackpot: maybe this is her? That would parallel nicely with the story of Bael/Abel too.

This is one of the better theories, that Rowan has ties to the North and isn't "just" a wildling. That might have even been why Mance selected her to go, if he knew she had other kin in the North.

This is one of the better theories, that Rowan has ties to the North and isn't "just" a wildling. That might have even been why Mance selected her to go, if he knew she had other kin in the North.

It was the only thing that made sense to me. At first I thought it was just a way for GRRM to come down on Theon but that's not really his style. Abel returning the daughter to the Umber to build trust. IIRC Abel and Mors(? I mix up my Umbers) were talking a bit secretively. It would also still fit the GNC theory (I'm a subscriber).

It was the only thing that made sense to me. At first I thought it was just a way for GRRM to come down on Theon but that's not really his style. Abel returning the daughter to the Umber to build trust. IIRC Abel and Mors(? I mix up my Umbers) were talking a bit secretively. It would also still fit the GNC theory (I'm a subscriber).

You noy seen 'the mannifesto'? Cantuse's wordpress. He lays it all out.

No I haven't. Don't laugh...what's Cantuse wordpress?

Cantuse.wordpress and com

award winning reddit theoriest with his collection of theories o his own site. Youve got why rowan is an umber and what shes up to everything covered. Ive checked out alot of fan theories but the mannifesto has impressed me the most. Check it

I think she is Crowfood's daughter or grand daughter.

This is very likely.

When you start to think of it, some possibilities of eluding capture begin to emerge for Mance and the spearwives... Mance may have his ruby cuff with him and if so, could change his appearance to that of Rattleshirt , a smaller , ordinary looking, even homely man. (It's odd that Rattleshirt is given a much more detailed description than Mance, so I'll be looking for him)... If Myrtle is The Liddle, she could become a man.. Rowan might have "Uncle Whoresbane" to help conceal her.. Squirrel might well be able to hide up a tree in the Godswood ( as Wex did).

But poor Holly is already done for, and I don't hold out much hope for Frenya (still, she might suicide rather than be taken, if the stories about spearwives are true). That would only leave Willow without a possible port in the storm (that we know of)..and she could still have many sympathizers inside WF, once the escape becomes known.

It might not work out for all of them, but I'm betting it will for some, anyway.

Cantuse.wordpress and com

award winning reddit theoriest with his collection of theories o his own site. Youve got why rowan is an umber and what shes up to everything covered. Ive checked out alot of fan theories but the mannifesto has impressed me the most. Check it

Ah, thanks! I'll have to add it to my favorites and get to it when they other 5000 tabs of theories are done. lol

Archived