Magician's End - Final Midkemia Novel

Adept Havelock

You have accurately summarized my own experience of reading Feist. He was a master world-builder, and he needed a strong editor or collaborator.

The best examples of this were the Daughter/Servant/Mistress of Empire books with Janny Wurts, which were a cut above everything else he produced. If you have read her work, it was easy to imagine that the excellent world and story came from Feist, while the details and characterizations came from her.

Oddly enough, this trilogy was the only one I skipped, chiefly because it was by a different author.

Oddly enough, this trilogy was the only one I skipped, chiefly because it was by a different author.

I recommend it to you, as these three books are actually better than anything else I have read by either Wurts or Feist writing alone.

I would also recommend Honoured Enemy, written by William Forstchen based on a Feist outline. It's a very good book, a ground-level war story set during the first Riftwar featuring a Tsurani patrol and Kingdom mercenary force being forced to work together to escape from the Northlands after being driven there by attacking dark elves.

I would also recommend Honoured Enemy, written by William Forstchen based on a Feist outline. It's a very good book, a ground-level war story set during the first Riftwar featuring a Tsurani patrol and Kingdom mercenary force being forced to work together to escape from the Northlands after being driven there by attacking dark elves.

It's pretty good, but I liked it better when it was called Sharpe's Rifles :P

He also states Brucal was the senior officer with Borric his deputy, when it's the other way round. Which was annoying, but not the continuity error clusterfuck that the 3rd Legends of the Riftwar book Jimmy the Hand was.

Finished this last night as I felt compelled to. Sort of what I expected at the end but the Mind/Bliss stuff seemed only vaguely worked out. I have read the whole series and the worldbuilding is great for me even if the novels steadily declined in quality.

The Empire Trilogy and Magician were undoubtedly the best stuff Feist has written.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried obtaining the Empire Trilogy audiobook ... and ran into something quite unexpected. Couldn't find the audiobook for sale anywhere, but I saw an alleged torrent of it available, which seemed odd as said audiobook didn't seem to ever have been published in the first place. Did some research, turns out it's some version for the hearing-impaired - not actually narrated, more like a computer reading it to you (the pronunciation is wrong, there are no pauses between some words, the accents are all wrong). Listened to a short sample, almost made my ears bleed.

Had almost given up when I ran into this. Can anyone confirm whether it's true? Seems like an awfully convenient timing, even if it's just the first book. If the book was truly released last month, shouldn't I have found it in my initial search for the series audiobooks?

It's a real release, but depending on where you live you may not be able to buy it, which is probably why it's not showing up in your searches. Here are the US and UK Audible links. I'm in the US, but when I click that link I get a "not authorized to sell in your country due to rights restrictions" message. (I can add the UK version to my cart, but if I go to purchase it a similar message pops up before I can complete the order.) A Facebook post by Janny Wurts about the release has people reporting similiar issues in the comments. Either there's been a mistake somewhere along the way, or this is a UK/Europe-only release.

Thanks for the info Brendan. When publishers do such regional releases the only result is people pirating their content. Although it's too late for me now - I was prepared to dig into this trilogy yesterday evening, having just finished Steelheart. But as I couldn't access it I had to resort to my back-up plan ... Malazan. So now I'm set for a while ;).

P.S. I live in Europe, but far in the backwaters, so it could be that the release did not cover the entire Europe.

All three of the Empire Trilogy books were formerly published and available as audio books as read by David Thorpe of the BBC Radio Drama company, who also read the Janny Wurts Stormwarden novels. I remember picking up the first book on cassette in an old church-turned-used-book-store in Inverness many years ago.

After a bit of searching, I can't find any sign of it on Overdrive or Audible, nor can I find it on CD or cassette.

It shows up in several audiobookbay.com threads, though, which goes to show just how useful Audible's DRM is.

Archived