Continued Stannis Character Assasination [Book and TV Spoilers]

I just have to say, that while I think its important to take the show and the book as two autonomous works of art, I am highly disatisfied with this simplified portrayal of Stannis. Whether or not you like him as a character in the books, he is far more complex and three-dimensional than he is in this television series. His immediate willingness to sacrifice Gendry was such a let down for me. There wasn't even a split second of conflict. Stannis was adamantly opposed to burning Edric initially and was only convinced when he believed there was absolutely no other option to save the kingdom. Here, Stannis has little to no regard for Gendry's life, and it just felt to me like the writers were purposely ignoring the source material in order to further establish him as villain. Unlike the books, where we have the proper space for us to contemplate Stannis' character and moral ambiguity, the series creates a narrow spectrum in which he can only be viewed as an entitled douchebag. If you're going to make deviations in a character arc, you should maintain the complexity of said characters, rather than simplify them in order to force you're own views down the throats of the audience.

Did you just miss the scene with Davos then I take it....

Stannis hasn't been simplified, I'd say we're just getting his different sides in small doses. It's difficult when you have several pages of exposition to convey on screen you know...

Stannis suffered from some serious character assassination as well. His sense of justice, though harsh, has been wiped away. He resisted burning Edric in the books for a long time because the boy had done nothing wrong. I think Melisandre would have convinced him eventually but it's a disservice to his character that he's not shown struggling with it more. I guess you can say he is by releasing Davos from jail because he knows Davos can talk him out of it. But even that moment where Davos lets Edric go and convinces Stannis to go to The Wall might lose its importance.

I didn't see any sign of character assassination. Didn't you pay attention to the end of his conversation with Davos. He went to see Davos because he knew what Davos was going to say and that part of himself was disagreeing with Melisandre. It's very clear he is conflicted.

Edit: :ninja: 'd

OP - did you miss the scene with Davos? He involved Davos because he knew it was wrong to kill Gendry.

and Davos convinced Mel that she needed to show proof of the power of royal blood.

Did you watch the episode or not?

B-b-but, there was that scene with Davos, where Davos essentially called Stannis out for the visit, pointing out that Stannis went down to the cell for Davos to be his voice of reason. That's the entire reason Stannis values Davos -- because Davos reminds Stannis of his humanity.

this . I caught from Stannis tone that he was playing Devil's advocate with Davos. The reason he keeps Davos around is so he can balance Mel.

B-b-but, there was that scene with Davos, where Davos essentially called Stannis out for the visit, pointing out that Stannis went down to the cell for Davos to be his voice of reason. That's the entire reason Stannis values Davos -- because Davos reminds Stannis of his humanity.

That's how I saw it too. He went down to Davos because he still has doubts about what Melisandre intends. That seems pretty consistent with how the book plays out.

I just have to say, that while I think its important to take the show and the book as two autonomous works of art, I am highly disatisfied with this simplified portrayal of Stannis. Whether or not you like him as a character in the books, he is far more complex and three-dimensional than he is in this television series. His immediate willingness to sacrifice Gendry was such a let down for me. There wasn't even a split second of conflict. Stannis was adamantly opposed to burning Edric initially and was only convinced when he believed there was absolutely no other option to save the kingdom. Here, Stannis has little to no regard for Gendry's life, and it just felt to me like the writers were purposely ignoring the source material in order to further establish him as villain. Unlike the books, where we have the proper space for us to contemplate Stannis' character and moral ambiguity, the series creates a narrow spectrum in which he can only be viewed as an entitled douchebag. If you're going to make deviations in a character arc, you should maintain the complexity of said characters, rather than simplify them in order to force you're own views down the throats of the audience.

In the book...Edric lives with him and practiacally raised him....On the show...he bareley knows Gendry...why should he have any feelings for him....but in the end he goes to Davos because he wanted to be talked out of it...thats what I got out of the scene....

Why do I read this forum

I feel the same way. I find my enjoyment of the show stifled by some of the fussiest and unfounded complaints.

I guess it's made up for by the valid ones I enjoy debating but still!

Character assassination has become the buzz word this season, heh. No disrespect to anyone who utilizes the term, but I swear I groan whenever I see it. I'm waiting for the official "character assassination" thread to be christened and enacted each week, much like the nitpick thread. Please, God, don't tell me I just gave anyone the idea. :ph34r:

Archived