Best Overall King Regardless of Claim

I would have to go for Tywin Lannister but Ned is a pretty good choice as, although we already know that he will be useless in the south with all the back stabbing and scheming.

Aargh I would not want to live in Westeros with Tywin as king. Ned on the other hand... although yes being a honourable politician is an oxymoron, I cant help but feel if he was crowned at the end of the rebellion he would have had time to grow more able in court and with robert by his side to act as unstoppable guardian I feel the realm would be do well. Also Robert would not deteriorate like he did...

Tywin is too smart to take the throne. He knows it's better to be Hand, that way he runs everything and if he screws up something major it's the guy in the big chair that's going to catch all the crap for it.

What else does a Tywin lack, that you would want from your king? Morality is the only thing, but even then I dont think it would hinder the effectiveness of his rule.

We were talking about Hoster Tully, not Tywin.

Rhaegar if you mean contextual in any way, Jon Arryn if you mean alive when the books (sort of) began, Renly if you mean a character who appeared live and in real time during the books. Ned and Tywin would both also be very good in different ways. My wildcard would be the Old Bear.

Robert Baratheon would have been a better king had he gotten Lyanna i get the sense that she would have helped steer him from his drunken, whore mongering ways.I think after that loss he was like WTF " why change? for Cersie hell no".

Jon would be a great King with Tyrion as hand, i think that combination would make the realm more prosperous.Between them you have honor to keep shrewdness in check and shrewdness to make sure honor knows the game.

Lastly, i'd say Ned with Varys as hand, Ned had too much honor being an honerable fool got him killed.I honestly believe that Varys cares about the realm on a whole and he liked Ned and never lied to him.You can't honorable and despise the game.If you do you got to have someone who has some honor and don't mind playing the game.

Robert Baratheon would have been a better king had he gotten Lyanna i get the sense that she would have helped steer him from his drunken, whore mongering ways.

I am not a Cersei fan, but we can't blame her for Robert being Robert.

Hoster Tully was unable to control his bannermen and lost his best commander to the Vale. I don't think he would be great king at all.

Well, half the High Lords in the Westeros are unable to control their bannermen. Also, at the beginning of ASOIAF he was way too old and sick. As for Blackfish, it`s family. Tywin lost son and heir to Kingsguard, Ned a brother and great fighter to NW, and so on...

Smart guy, competent politician, pragmatic without being a total monster like Tywin.

Didn't Hoster Tully burn a whole village and kill multiple people simply because they stayed loyal to the Targaryens? Cause he does not sound like a good King.

I am not a Cersei fan, but we can't blame her for Robert being Robert.

If we consider the fact that Robert's self-destructive depression only started after the Greyjoy Rebellion (since he was still in his prime during the conflict) then it's quite plausible that its onset was caused by realizing his (presumed) son and heir was a monster and his wife was insane enough to defend and support the kid.

Archived