I think Dany will be dead by the end of the story

Astapor became "the closest to hell" that Quentyn ever wanted to be. Dany bears a big share of the blame for this, but she is certainly not solely to blame. What she ought to have done was to settle at Astapor and provide it with a functioning government.

how is she not solely to blame? If Dany doesent sack then abandon the city none of it happens.

she is SOLELY to blame

how is she not solely to blame? If Dany doesent sack then abandon the city none of it happens.

she is SOLELY to blame

If she doesn't sack then abandon the city, then the slave trade continues at the same brisk pace it started out at, churning 8,000 Unsullied out every year.

She could have played the endgame better, but it's the Yunkai enemies that turned Astapor into "Hell."

As apple martini has said its very telling that Dany can commit crime after crime but be forgiven because its against "slavers"

Well, yeah. I am ok with terrible things happening to slavers just because they are slavers. They are people who are buying and selling helpless captive human beings as unpaid labor. Personally, I find that revolting and asking me to empathize with their suffering isn't going to get you very far.

I'm sure some slavers are decent people who love their kids, but personally I think that makes their trade that much more disgusting. Bad things happening to them because of what they just happen to do for a living doesn't bother me.

Well, yeah. I am ok with terrible things happening to slavers just because they are slavers. They are people who are buying and selling helpless captive human beings as unpaid labor. Personally, I find that revolting and asking me to empathize with their suffering isn't going to get you very far.

I'm sure some slavers are decent people who love their kids, but personally I think that makes their trade that much more disgusting. Bad things happening to them because of what they just happen to do for a living doesn't bother me.

DAny was a slaver, Jorah was a slaver, ALL of Dany's dothraki followers were slavers. Why do Dany's slavers get a pass but Slavers who have an army she needs all deserve to die?

DAny was a slaver, Jorah was a slaver, ALL of Dany's dothraki followers were slavers. Why do Dany's slavers get a pass but Slavers who have an army she needs all deserve to die?

Maybe because they are "reformed" slavers? :dunno:

Why not "Reform" the others too then rather than putting them to the sword.

Dany is a hypocrite,she has been from the beginning.

well if she "Reformed" the slavers she wouldnt get her army that she cant afford :P

but you are right, Dany is a HUGE hypocrite when dealing with the slavers who arent on her side

DAny was a slaver,

Dany was a slave. She "took slaves" to protect the women and children (and MMD) who were being raped and killed. She didn't keep them any longer then she had to, since the first thing she did when she took over the Khalasaar was tell every slave they could leave if they wanted to. And a lot of them DID want to: a third of her people just up and left right then.

Jorah was a slaver,

Before he met Danaerys.

ALL of Dany's dothraki followers were slavers.

Until she took over. Has she EVER let her Khalasaar enslave or sell anyone? Can you name a time?

Why do Dany's slavers get a pass but Slavers who have an army she needs all deserve to die?

Dany has no slaves in her Khalasaar and prohibits her people from taking any slaves. This might be me, but I think one reason she decided she "needed" the Unsullied was she saw a chance to both get an army AND shut down the Good Masters who castrated little boys and forced them to kill babies and puppies. She wouldn't have bought them fair and square even if she could have afforded them, because she WANTED to screw those people over.

It's not a question of 'deserve'. It's a question of achieving her goal.

To end slavery in her khalasar, all Dany had to do was say 'there will be no more slavery in my khalasar'. It ended. To stop Jorah taking another slave, all she has to do is order him not to take slaves.

But Meereen is not going to end slavery because Dany says so. If she wants to end slavery in Meereen, she has to conquer and sack the city: she has to destroy the power of the ruling class, which is based on slavery. So that's what she does.

Archived