Any theories regarding Jon's direwolf?

Roadside Rose

Well I was re reading Jon a while back and I recall Ghost does at one point howl. BUT I could not find the bit last time I looked for it. I thought I had notated it at the side of the page? Am wondering if I may be misremembering. I'm at a funeral today but will do a proper search when I can. I think it was in either ASOS or AFFC. It was around when he's wih Ygritte.

I always thought Ghost was connected to the old gods...he has the same colouring as the weirwood trees. We know Jon has seen things through ghost in his dreams when ghost was close to the weirwood trees.

I don't know what it means though. Or if it means anything

What if Mel wrote the letter and convince Selyse that Shireen was scared of Ghost to have the direwolf lock up when Jon gets stabbed. i don't think Shireen was scare of the wolf if she was not scare of a frost giant.

That may have been the first time Jon. "Warged" into Ghost while sleeping. When he saw the wildling army and then was attacked by the eagle, right then Jon wakes up screaming for Ghost. That was in aCoK.

Jon hearing him in the beginning, could have been in his head though. He was already "Warging" even before Bran or Robb, so that hints at Jon being a whole lot stronger I guess?

Is it possible that the CotF are within Ghost, like they are in the Weirwoids and other animals. Such as when Bran went into the Crow and "Felt" a girl inside it. And maybe Ghost has been Warging into Jon and not the other way around.

Weirwoods have white bark with red eyes. Ghost is white with red eyes. Melisandre's skin is often referred to as white like milk and wears red robes etc. She has red hair and red eyes. Bloodraven has one red eye and has white skin. Viserion is also white with red eyes. An earlier post mentioned the shared symbolism between jon and dany, referring to "ice" and "fire".

coincidence I think not...

This all has to be connected in some way, but the required explanation would be a mammoth task.

Many folks think Jon will warg into Ghost after his stabbing, while in a coma. Ghost's name alone is incredibly obvious. But this might harken back to the allusions of something important hidden in Winterfell. Perhaps Jon will 'learn' about the ghosts of the Winterfell crypt, while a ghost himself, both medically and metaphorically. This might be one way for Jon to learn about his parentage without needing Howland Reed.

The symbolism of red and white -> old gods/north seems well established, but I'm curious about Ghost being a mute. Is it just another way of setting him apart from the others, or does it say something important about Jon? I've seen someone suggesting (though I don't remember who) that it symbolizes the silence around Jon's lineage, which is a good interpretation IMO. But it seems to me that there is more to that. The only thing I can think of is that silence favours introspection, mystery, spirituality, characteristics I associate with Ghost.

About Ghost being the biggest, understand there is magic at work here as well, that these wolves and Starks draw strength from one another. Rickon and Bran are not fully grown, and Greywind is dead so we do not really have a comparison there, and there is the Magic of the Wall itself, and if that is even a factor.

The direwolves and their masters have unique connection. The mood of the direwolves would depend on their master and so does their character. Ghost being an albino is simply a reflection of Jon being a Snow.

I have always felt there is something symbolic to Jon Snow's direwolf Ghost being albino. It could have been a regular direwolf but it's not.

Is it symbolic of the Weirwood trees?

Or is there some symbolism here related to Bloodraven?

Are there any theories out there?

Ghost is an albino because Jon is a secret Targ

The white/red Melisandre, BR, weirwoods, and Ghost connection is interesting.

But I'm confuse about the part where when Jon rejected the offer to be Lord of Winterfell from Stannis, presumably because he doesn't want the heart tree to be burned via orders from Mel?

So if the Mel-Ghost-weirwoods is a connection to the Old Gods, why the contradiction?

Is R'hllor and the Old Gods the same? are they different or are they related? are they at the same side or are they at war with each other?

and if Mel said that R'hllor sees the Great Other as eternal darkness, is the Old Gods eternal darkness?

IMO the contradiction arises from Mel's misinterpretation. She has a track record of misinterpreting what she sees in the flames after all. It's due to the fact that BR is involved with the Targ/westerosi PTWP prophecy. Mel is looking for Azor Ahai Reborn which is an essosi prophecy. I think they are the same. For me the long night impacted most (if not all) of the known world and these 2 prophecies are actually one that through the passage of time and cultural separation has become lost in translation.

• 10 months later...

I have always felt there is something symbolic to Jon Snow's direwolf Ghost being albino. It could have been a regular direwolf but it's not.

Is it symbolic of the Weirwood trees?

Or is there some symbolism here related to Bloodraven?

Are there any theories out there?

The symbolism is that he is named Ghost and he will be a placeholder for Jon's spirit for a while.

Archived