Jon Snow's Letter: From a traitor at the wall

AegonSnow

Is it possible the letter was actually sent by a person FROM the WALL or even beyond?) that wanted to lure Jon into a trap?

• Alliser Thorne
  • Melisandre, to ensure Stannis's as AA
  • Tormund Giantsbane?
  • Wick Wittlestick?
  • Bowen Marsh?
  • Stannis, after defeating Bolton, goes into the crypts and discovers R+L = J, decides to take out the competition

Tormund? lol first time Ive heard that. I don't think Stannis is the type tbh. Could be either of the others, but they'd have to know about the Reek escape, Mance being in Winterfell under a guise. etc.

I think Ramsay wrote it, but he's just lying about defeating Stannis. In a nutshell.

I believe it was sent by Ramsay before the battle of Winterfell. The reason is he ask for his Reek back.

Would Ramsay be profoundly stupid enough to goad Jon into marching South when he already has Stannis at the gates? Why would he want his enemy getting reinforcements?

I'm guessing that Ramsay wrote it after his force was defeated by Stannis' and retreated inside the walls. Ramsay (or at least his men) probably would have seen the sword. Too bad Jon freaked out and assumed that Stannis was dead based on no evidence.

Would Ramsay be profoundly stupid enough to goad Jon into marching South when he already has Stannis at the gates? Why would he want his enemy getting reinforcements?

Probably. We don't know of Stannis feigned defeat with the assistance of Manderly. It could be a ruse as already stated. However who really wins with Jon leaving? Any number of possibilities could have happened.

I doubt that the Pink Letter was written by someone at the Wall. There's just far too much information in the letter that wasn't common knowledge at the Wall, in particular the following items:

*That "Abel" was actually a disguised Mance Rayder sent by Jon and Melisandre to rescue "Arya" (this information was only known to Jon, Mel, Mance, and the spearwives; no one beyond them was aware of the plan).

*That Ramsay had lost "Reek"

*The use of pink sealing wax

Though others at the Wall may actually be quite aware that the Dreadfort uses pink sealing wax, we get the impression throughout ADwD that supplies are running low and that Jon is keenly aware of what the Watch does -- and doesn't -- have. I'm sure his eyebrows would have been raised if all of a sudden somebody requested pink sealing wax instead of the standard black (and since most, if not all of the correspondence at Castle Black goes through Jon, it's probably safe to assume that he's aware of the sealing wax situation).

ETA: Also, Tormund is illiterate, so that automatically rules him out as the Pink Letter's writer.

Whoever wrote the note has to:

1. Know about Ramsay and "Arya's" wedding.

2. Know about Theon being Reek.

3. Know that Mance Rayder wasn't the one who was executed.

4. Know about Val, Selyse, Shireen and the baby.

5. Know about Stannis's "magic" sword.

It's either Ramsay using info from Mance, or Mance himself. Just about everyone else is missing critical information, especially on points 2 and 3.

Tormund? lol first time Ive heard that. I don't think Stannis is the type tbh. Could be either of the others, but they'd have to know about the Reek escape, Mance being in Winterfell under a guise. etc.

I think Ramsay wrote it, but he's just lying about defeating Stannis. In a nutshell.

Exactly and summed up well. Its Either Ramsay or Mance, my money is on Ramsay if Mance was successful I doubt he would write a letter so vague about his results.

Does Ramsay really know how to write ? I mean he has been educated by his low born mother.

He doesn't have to know how to write. He can dictate the letter to a maester. Cotter Pyke and (according to Lady Dustin) half the lords in the Seven Kingdoms do so.

I agree with Apple Martini: It's either Ramsay or Mance. Precisely WHY... I don't know.

Whoever wrote the note has to:

1. Know about Ramsay and "Arya's" wedding.

2. Know about Theon being Reek.

3. Know that Mance Rayder wasn't the one who was executed.

4. Know about Val, Selyse, Shireen and the baby.

5. Know about Stannis's "magic" sword.

It's either Ramsay using info from Mance, or Mance himself. Just about everyone else is missing critical information, especially on points 2 and 3.

Or Mance could've somehow informed his new master Red Mel somehow, though it seems quite unlikely.

Either we'll see in TWOW that either Stan faked his own death which led Ramsay to write a victory note for some reason (out of desperation or no) or it's one big conspiracy between Mance and Red Mel.

What's the timeframe between Melisandre trying to talk Jon out of going to Hardhome and Clydus (sp?) bringing him the Pink Letter? I wouldn't put it past Melisandre (with her warped thought process) to contrive the letter as a way to get the Black Brothers against Jon, so they would kill him and he could be reborn amidst salt and smoke. I definitely could see Mel fabricating the Pink Letter. In fact, I'm not really sure who else it could be.

Ramsay after being beaten and found Winterfell gates shut (by Roose or by Northmen inside): Gambit to draw Watch or Wildlings or both down from the Wall, to sow discord among his enemies (inc. Umbers).

Mance: We don't know his game. He may have an idea of Stark in Winterfell importance and he tries to goad Jon into going there?

Archived